LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 11:01 am 

While basking in the success of getting my lump of iron to run I had an idea. Thought I would run it by the group for input.

I used to make custom jewelry. Cad, machine wax and have it casted. Hence the name WAX.
Years ago I did some custom gremlin bells for a local motorcycle club. I do not know if the custom car crowd hangs the bells like the motorcycle crowd, but I am going to make me one for my build.
I also seen where a member 3D printed a key chain. I can make those as well. I can even do custom lettering, car names ect.

These things will be in the $200 to $300 price range as they are all processed individually. If there is enough interest I can make a standard design and pull a mold for mass production which would get the price down.

Here are some pictures of the bells I have done.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 11:06 am 

one I made out of acrylic.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 11:14 am 

keychain/necklace pendant pieces. Just to give everyone an idea as to the scope of the things that can be done.

I would love to hear what people think of the idea.

Ohh and the holidays are just around the corner.

I thought it would be nice to offer a couple bling pieces. I have not seen much in "LOCOST 7" merchandise. (And it would help put a little bit of funds towards my build)

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 11:38 am 
Toyotaphobe

I don't get the bells. What do they signify?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 11:46 am 

cut from a site.

Have you noticed that some riders have a small bell hanging off their motorcycle frame or handlebars? Have you wondered what the purpose is? Well, you have come to the right place. That little bell is more than decoration, it serves a very important purpose – it wards off gremlins, also known as evil road spirits.

You see, there are motorcycle gremlins that LOVE to ride, but they are also mischievous little devils and they cause all sorts of problems for you while you are riding. Some say they are responsible for that old lady in the minivan not seeing you and cutting you off in traffic. Or, you may be having trouble shifting smoothly, your battery goes dead, your turn signal suddenly refuses to work, an oil spill appears out of nowhere, you hit a patch of black ice, etc – you get the idea. Those little gremlins look for trouble and try to steer your bike towards it.

Now, once you get a bell on your scoot – it wards off these attacks from the little gremlins, not allowing any more to get onto your bike. If you already have some gremlins riding with you, they will get trapped in the hollow of the bell, and the constant ringing will drive them insane – causing them to lose their grip and fall to the roadway.

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 11:49 am 
Toyotaphobe

I've never heard of that. Must be a local thang.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: September 24, 2014, 7:12 pm 

Not a local thing, it's pretty widespread. Supposedly, the little bells are supposed to be hung as close to the ground as possible, on the myth that "road gremlins" are put off by the sound, and stay off your motorcycle. The theory also holds that the bells do not work if you simply get them for yourself - their efficacy is purportedly dramatically improved when they are received as gifts from someone close to you.

I don't have any on my bike (although, with the recent carb problems, nail in my Goldwing's new rear tire, etc., one has to wonder!), but I know others who swear by them.

I figure they do no harm, so, whatever makes one comfortable, right?

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: September 25, 2014, 9:08 pm 

Well, add this to my day of learning new things.

Al

PostPosted: September 25, 2014, 11:12 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I was at a biker meet at dinner and asked about them bells and they all looked at me like I was crazy.

I am crazy, but they all knew that so it was the bells that made them look at me funny. No one had ever heard of it so I still say it must be a local thing. Maybe it's every place except my local DFW area.

But if you like them and you have a market for them, make as many as you can.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: September 26, 2014, 1:24 am 

All the Goldwing sites have lots of treads on 'em, and a lot of the Harley sites as well.

Not my thing, but then, to each their own, I say!

http://zetec7.webs.com/