LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best In Show
PostPosted: June 22, 2015, 6:05 pm 

Best In Show...

Sorry, I couldn't resist the humour. :lol:

Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Best In Show
PostPosted: June 22, 2015, 6:22 pm 

Actually the truth is I was the first person to show up and in reality everyone was 'best in Show'.
It was a non advertised event where a bunch of car guys got together and took our cars over to the senior citizens home for a father' day showing.
Many of the seniors don't get around like they used to and don't always get to see their families because of busy schedules or living in other parts of the country.
We all had a great time and we got to listen to a lot of great stories from many of them about cars and their adventures when they were young.
Though I might mention most of the cars owners that brought cars are only a step away from being the old ones themselves.
A few burgers by the care home and some music and it turned out to be a very satisfying great day all around for everyone.

Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 22, 2015, 7:40 pm 

My girlfriend's father is a car guy. His current show car is a 96 Vette convertible hard top that is probably cleaner than the day it rolled out of the factory.

He took a turn for the worse last winter, with the Parkinson's taking its toll, and he spent most of the winter and spring a bit confused. He knows that his short-term memory is shot even on a good day.

But his family suggested that we could go to a car show, and for a while, for a magical day, he was his old self again. He got out, walked around without his walker, rolled around on the floor, and got in and out of the 'Vette as he tried to make it ready to show again.

I got the call when the batter was dead, and while he needed help removing that battery (seriously, take off the side of the fender?!?) he certainly knew his way to the parts store. The car fired over when the new battery was put in, and he offered to take me a ride. I reminded him that "the women folk" had banned him from driving, but that didn't deter him. We took off, first gently, then with him showing me how the magical third gear in that car felt as we went 60 mph on narrow Kentucky backroads that probably had a 30 mph limit. He was in his glory.

I had to leave to go to work after the ride (admittedly a bit more shaken than when the pro drivers take me around speedways!). Later that day something happened. He got confused, he fell, and he hasn't been lucid since. I might very well have spent the last great day that he'll ever have with him, certainly the last time he'll drive the Vette. I'm embarrassed, and flattered, and honored.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: June 22, 2015, 9:42 pm 

Geek, thank you for that story. My eyes are watering up now just thinking about my dad. He never got to ride in my se7en before he died but I'm sure he would have loved it. He is the one who got me into cars and motorcycles. And raceral what a great idea. I think I will suggest that idea to our car club. Russ

PostPosted: June 23, 2015, 12:14 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

Great club idea!

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: June 23, 2015, 11:04 am 

It was a very satisfying experience and well worth doing if possible.
Unlike a regular car show where people usually migrate to the biggest and best, this was just the opposite.
The seniors treated every car like it was exactly the same as the other, no matter the condition or money spent.
For them it was the memories the cars invoked and the stories those memories brought out was worth the outing alone.
Not a long event, 3 hours, but very relaxed for all.

Al

PostPosted: July 1, 2015, 7:15 am 
We are Slotus!

Good on you Al, that one earned you a few stars in your crown.
Looks like it was fun too.
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom