LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What a pain
PostPosted: September 29, 2017, 5:02 pm 

Just curious....How many times have you run over your foot while pushing your Locost ?
It took two times for me to learn where the rear tires touch the ground.
Be honest and share. I don't want to be the only victim here.

Bill

Post subject: Re: What a pain
PostPosted: September 29, 2017, 5:45 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Never have but have caught my heel under the front of the rear tire, hurts like hell. If I did run over my foot though, it would be pretty painful since it's mid-engine with about 500 lbs on a rear tire.

I was watching a vintage race where they were running old Formula Vs. A guy was getting a push-start by his wife and not only did she catch her heel under the rear tire, but fell down because of it, right when the car lit off, so her husband ran her over... The cars are so light she wasn't injured, but the worst part of it to me was that he didn't stop. I can only imagine the discussion later about his decision.

PostPosted: September 29, 2017, 7:06 pm 

I've come close in the Locost, done it with other cars, though. A builder on the forum a few years back (signbandit?) was building in a barn on a hill. He rolled the car out one day, it got going too fast, so he jumped in front and it ran him down. At least think that was the story.

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 12:06 am 

Amateurs! :shock:

A buddy of mine managed to get himself pinned between his Jaguar 3.8S and a telephone pole.
Broke his hip and he was trapped for three hours.
Fortunately he was near the road so eventually someone driving by realized he was in trouble and got help.

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 1:02 am 

Pffft. My brother got under his running 72 Charger, was fiddling with something, when the auto trans engaged. IT missed running over him (dunno how) but went on to hit his mobile home and knock it off of its foundation blocks.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 11:17 am 

In 1979 my friend Danny was moving his dune buggy across a used car dealership's paved parking lot that have a little dip in it. Because he was going only a short distance he didn't bother fastening the hitch on the dune buggy to the ball on the Oldsmobile that he was towing it with. As he drove through the dip the trailer hitch popped off leaving the Olds on one side of the dip and the dune buggy on the other. Danny slammed the Olds into park and leapt out to grab the A-hitch on the dune buggy, pull it towards the Olds and hook it back up. It turned out that the dip was steep enough that he couldn't control the buggy and as it rolled into the dip it knocked him over and then ran over him. Meanwhile, because of a dodgy transmission, the Olds hadn't been put into park but instead into reverse. As Danny was lying under the dune buggy the Olds came slowly backing up into the dip, hit the dune buggy and pushed it back over Danny and then kept going running him over again. The final result was three smashed cars, the Olds, the buggy and the one that they both hit, and two broken legs from being run over three times, once by the Olds and twice by the buggy. Absolutely true story except that the Olds might have been a Buick.

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 12:30 pm 
The voice of reason

Done this a few times with my Formula Ford. Managed to get the rear wheel most of the way up to my knee once which produced considerable hilarity from a good size crowd, who were so disabled by their guffawing they were unable to help. Rough crowd, I guess. The big low pressure rear slicks don't as much as the embarrassment...

It's odd but my experience is that parked cars and loading/unloading trailers is a danger point in motorsports. At the end of the event you are exhausted and mistakes can happen. I remember the case of a fellow who was killed loading a car on a trailer. He was known for having won a race by crossing the finish line upside down and 3 feet in the air.

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 12:59 pm 

If this keeps going we will soon be hearing about having to walk twelve miles to school, always in a blizzard, up-hill both ways.......... :wink: :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 4:38 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
I remember the case of a fellow who was killed loading a car on a trailer. He was known for having won a race by crossing the finish line upside down and 3 feet in the air.

https://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/motorrad-fun ... ister2.htm :oops:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: November 14, 2017, 11:42 pm 

Ok Bill, I will admit it, you are not alone, I too have run over my foot.
JEB

PostPosted: November 16, 2017, 9:27 am 
We are Slotus!

Would this be a good time for my "Changing a starter on my MGB without disconnecting the battery" story??? It includes electric arc welding a wrench to the palm of my hand, busting the back of my head on a concrete floor and then hitting the front of my head on the bottom of the car...

Well, no, I didn't run over either of my (left) feet... That time. It was my friend Bill's Corvette that we pushed over my foot... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom