LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: January 28, 2023, 3:20 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Agree on whole-body shells. Had I kept Midlana, I considered creating side pods, filling in the area between the tires, for the above-mentioned reasons. Ended up not doing that because of multiple reasons I've already whined about...

When I tracked the Stalker I liked to say that acceleration-wise it felt like a supercar from 0-60, a S2000 from 60-90, and a Civic from 90-120, after which there was little left to be had. Presumably aero would help that some. The Lotus 11, which was basically a 7 encased in a bar of soap would see north of 140 MPH with a little Coventry Climax engine and the right gearing.

PostPosted: January 30, 2023, 8:44 pm 

I did not ever plan to be finished .

To-Do- List.

American 7 5.0 (pull for paint)
Jinny SC3800 (Wiring)
Lotus 15 R1 (Everything)
914 x 3 (?)
Finish new shop (almost done)

LOL

PostPosted: February 25, 2023, 2:05 am 

i built mine in/from 2009 to 2012 with a few stops in between.
i was a young 59 year old then and the world was mine to do as i pleased.
i am now 73 and boy do i feel it, i spent the last 3 years remodeling my house along with the cost of building materials going up 400% and for 2 1/2 years of that time my locost sat in my living room as i had no garage.
all of my tools and machine tools were in a box truck at the back of my yard.
i thought that when i finish the house and build a garage i could start another car.
well i get an English state pension so the american social security say that is a windfall and reduced my social security that i had paid in full by 40%, due to covid and lockdowns i could not find a buyer for my house in arizona so i had to lower the price and carry the mortgage, the english government seems to be in a world of flux and the exchange rate on my U.K. pension has reduced it by 1/3 all at a time when i was re modeling my house here in florida and the cost of living has been rising like we were in a depression.
the long and the short of that is, i couldn't aford to build another car if i wanted to.
i belong to a small car club here in marianna, most of the members have no idea of what goes on under the hood of their cars and many have things like newer mustangs with superchargers from the factory and are dealer serviced.
instead of "look at my car" they could say "look at my credit score" because that is all their car is to them, an expression of their credit score
my other cars are :-
2 jaguar xk8's, an 97 and a 99
2 range rovers, an 03 and an 04
my days of driving my car are limited to local car shows where it is mostly ignored by the partisipants and public alike as they can't think of a box to put it in other than "rat rod", if you look at my finished car, you will see it was done to a high standard, rat rod it is not.
it doen't even win a prize for most original, that prize usually goes to some 30's ford on a truck chassis or the like.
people think it is a kit car of some kind, they will ask me what chassis i used, is it a model T, even the supercharger installation they asume is a kit that i purchased and installed.
the level of skills in this country is much lower than you would think and the desire to learn skills is not there any more, that is why the site is loosing ground, it's all too hard for the younger generation to even comprehend and too expensive to do.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 25, 2023, 6:01 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

john hennessy wrote:
...i belong to a small car club here in marianna, most of the members have no idea of what goes on under the hood of their cars and many have things like newer mustangs with superchargers from the factory and are dealer serviced.
instead of "look at my car" they could say "look at my credit score" because that is all their car is to them, an expression of their credit score

... it is mostly ignored by the participants and public alike as they can't think of a box to put it in other than "rat rod", if you look at my finished car, you will see it was done to a high standard, rat rod it is not.
it doesn't even win a prize for most original, that prize usually goes to some 30's ford on a truck chassis or the like.
people think it is a kit car of some kind, they will ask me what chassis i used, is it a model T, even the supercharger installation they assume is a kit that i purchased and installed.
the level of skills in this country is much lower than you would think and the desire to learn skills is not there any more, that is why the site is loosing ground, it's all too hard for the younger generation to even comprehend and too expensive to do.

Sigh, I could have written the above, nearly verbatim, as it's been exactly my experience as well. One thing I'll add is since building my first car, you can walk into a dealership and drive out in something much faster than our cars are on nearly any track (and I mean makes other than Porsche, BMW, etc).

Last edited by KB58 on March 2, 2023, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 25, 2023, 10:13 pm 

But the newer "high performance" cars lack what I like to call a "soul"! I love my luxury Lexus LS sedan for long drives. But I really miss the connection I feel in a small basic sports car.

PostPosted: February 25, 2023, 10:40 pm 

New cars?
Depreciation is their main feature!
I despise driving them as they are just so NUMB.
Then there are the Nanny annoyances. :roll:

One of my other projects and the one I am concentrating on now is a 1970 Lotus Europa.
The Europa site is growing rapidly.
I am sure this site will pick up again when the weather warms up.
And those of us with classic drivetrains may have the last laugh as our "Analog" cars continue to run without the "Kill switches" and "Speed limiters" being mandated for all new factory cars.

PostPosted: February 26, 2023, 12:32 am 

Yes you can buy many things that are faster. None of them are hand built with the personality of Locost 7.

PostPosted: February 28, 2023, 12:19 pm 

My Wife has said she is going to bury me in my projects ? And that's OK with me.

PostPosted: March 1, 2023, 12:55 pm 

B85 wrote:
My Wife has said she is going to bury me in my projects ? And that's OK with me.

That's funny. Is she going to bury you with your projects or in your projects? Years ago, I remember when a woman had herself buried in her prized Ferrari. I suppose it's no different than ancient warriors being buried with/in their chariots.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 1, 2023, 1:17 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
B85 wrote:

That's funny. Is she going to bury you with your projects or in your projects? Years ago, I remember when a woman had herself buried in her prized Ferrari. I suppose it's no different than ancient warriors being buried with/in their chariots.

Cheers,

I knew a guy back in the late 1960's who said he wanted to be buried in his Edsel! It would certainly provide a bit more room that the Ferrari. For eternity, I'd take the roomy one. :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 1, 2023, 4:09 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I've felt buried in projects for years. No complaints! :cheers:

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 1, 2023, 7:13 pm 

B85 wrote:
My Wife has said she is going to bury me in my projects
Well, that's one way to get rid of the evidence.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 2, 2023, 1:58 am 

Love you guy's. Just way funnier than than me.

PostPosted: March 2, 2023, 2:40 am 

Wifey would have to hire a track hoe ($300/hr) to dig a hole the size of 2 house basements to bury me and my projects. Fortunately for me she's too cheap to do that so I think I'm safe :lol:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: March 2, 2023, 10:10 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

RichardSIA wrote:
...Then there are the Nanny annoyances. :roll: .

Standing by for you to explode :)
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2023/03/01/ford-vehicle-repossession-technology-patent-late-payments/69956443007/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next