LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: August 19, 2008, 11:11 pm 

dhempy wrote:
We'd rather have you here than fighting with U-Haul.

Dave's right, Nate. Hey, I'm coming, and I'm not driving anything. :-)
(wish I was, though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20, 2008, 12:30 am 

well, I wanted to work on some suspension stuff, and that's hard to do of the car. same with the steering rack and bodywork.

im trying everything I can think of. I know of a trailer someone will loan me for free, now if I can find a hauler to go with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20, 2008, 9:32 am 

Well, here's what I've come up with. I called Valley Ford, and they have a F150 for rent, which is cheaper than the advertised trucks, at 50 bucks a day and 12 cents a mile. For 710 miles, it'll be around 195. Being a 150, it's more like 15 mpg, which is still really bad compared to my 40+mpg MCS, but hey. I have 60 cents off per gallon with my Giant Eagle card, so I think I could fill the truck for relatively cheap. A friend of my dad has a trailer I can use for free, so that seems like the best route, unless I can find someone that will let me borrow their truck. My only concern is rain. I may have to buy a tarp and lash that down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20, 2008, 10:04 am 

If you use a plastic and fiber tarp, don't put it over anything with a finish on it. The flapping will eat through paint, plastic, and put a dull matte finish on any metal that used to be shiney. I towed my miata from NJ with a blue tarp over it and the tarp ate down through the paint and part way through the plastic of the rear view mirrors. :shock: You'd probably be better off letting it get wet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20, 2008, 1:50 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

+1 what Chet said. Tarps (especially the woven plastic (usually blue) ones) are made of something close to sandpaper. I learned that towing airplanes.

Tape baggies over the sensitive bits (intake, electronics), pull the seat covers off, and dry it off when you get there. If you really gotta tarp it, wait for the rain, pull over, tarp it, and wait it out.

Figure that you'll drive your Camry in the rain without tarping it...how different is a Locost?

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20, 2008, 2:01 pm 

Well, the difference is mine has no paint on it yet.... it's already been caught in the rain once, and that was bad enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20, 2008, 2:39 pm 

Just spray it down with WD-40 before you leave and let it get wet. Getting it soaked and dried in the same day won't hurt anything. You might actually learn something, like where to put drain holes etc. I wouldn't expect more than a light orange haze that you could wipe right off.

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong here, but I don't see what it would hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20, 2008, 5:57 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

SteyrTMP wrote:
Well, the difference is mine has no paint on it yet.... it's already been caught in the rain once, and that was bad enough.

Ahh...gotcha.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20, 2008, 8:30 pm 

If anybody has any last minute Kinetic bits they'd like me to throw in the boxes I'm bringing Dave (two steamroller fenders--exactly 62" l plus w plus h as per Untied baggage specs) let me know by ten in the morning tomorrow (Thursday) Pac time. Off list, SVP. See you there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21, 2008, 7:20 pm 

Dave, it looks like the Girlfriend is going to be in town this weekend so she will be coming with me as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 1:13 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

BTW, just in case my cell is on the blink (it happens...) you can reach the house phone at 859-233-0086. And I'll make a point of actually answering it tomorrow! ;-)

See y'all in a few hours, off to bed now.

-dave

ps. The house smells unbearably good with the BBQ slow-cooking and the chocolate chip cookies cooling on the racks. And did I mention the broccoli slaw? If you've never had it, it's better than it sounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 7:44 pm 

Just got home. Don't have time to upload all the pics or videos, just this one. :)

I had a great time.

Thanks again to Dave and his wife for hosting it.

Thanks Chet for the drives. It was even more fun than I imagined a car could ever be. It just makes we want to get building ASAP.

Nice to meet everyone and put some faces to names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 8:09 pm 

Shew, that was fun. Thanks Dave and Sweety :wink: (is it Jeneane?), I had a great time. And thanks to Nate for the drive and for taking the trouble to bring his car down for show and tell.

I am so glad you got that picture. :P

And for anyone curious that is Stryker (Daniel) there on the right posing with my car, right where he parked it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2008, 10:35 pm 

I had a great time Dave. I really want to start building mine now.

Chet, Thanks for bringing the car down, im honestly still in shock that i did that. the car just handles so much differently than what i was expecting. Those rock chips were already there :P :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24, 2008, 12:14 am 

ZOMG!!!! Chet let me drive his car! ZOMG!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next