LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: November 3, 2009, 1:23 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Well cool, KS, I'm glad the sight of a real live Locost pepped up your missus. ... Did he have the front fenders back on it yet?

Pepped up... might be a bit optimistic.. I think the exact wording was.. "Geez.. that's small Honey. You sure you want to build one of those?" I'm still trying to recover from the idiotic response I came back with!! :BH:

Glad it wasn't you I was buggin, but the offer still stand none the less.. Anytime your in the area.. I'll buy the 1st ones for you or the buyer or both!!

No, the wheels were still "nak-ed"! Couldn't figure out why someone would want to run like that.... only able to drive in perfect weather.. or so I imagined.. your story confirmed my worst visions!

Funny, the small world we live in.. I lived in LA for 35+ years.. never saw a single 7.. and I was involved heavy with show cars for some of that time. Now up here in the PNW.. I not only see your former whip, but the AirGas guy tells me there are several he knows about in the Portland/Vancouver area.. "They pass by here every so often!" he says! Wild Small World!!

Thanks Jack!

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 2:27 am 

I just want to express my appreciation to Jack for letting me drive his car when he was here in Morgantown, WV. Jack sort of got me into this Locost thing without knowing it. When I read about his car MAX in the Mother Earth News, I decided to call him straightaway to ask a few questions. Of course, I asked way too many but he was very patient with me and helped me out a lot more than he knows.

As Jack posted eariler in this thread, my first drive in his Locost was just a short drive to the resturant but it was awesome for me. I've loved the Lotus Seven since I first saw one in the 1960's. My daughter also thoughly enjoyed the ride in Jack's car. I was concerned about fitting into the car as I'm pushing maximum density lately, but it was fine. Chet built a great car and I think that Jack is very fortunate to have it now. It's in a good place of that Chet can be sure. I have a few pictures to post and document our little part of Jack's trip. We had a great steak dinner and a very nice visit. I couldn't believe how the young waitress really took to Jack. She was very attractive and seemed very nice. She seems to enjoy his kidding around with her. It appeared to me that he really has a way with the ladies. After seening this thread, I'm even more convinced. :shock: As we were leaving my powdercoater actually stopped by when he saw the car parked at the resturant. He also asked the customary questions. What really struck me about the car was the size of it. I have a Callahan book frame and I know it's tiny but I really didn't get it until I was around other vehicles on the road. A compact car is huge compared to the Locost. What a blast! I'll never forget it! :lol:

On a side note: my build has been stalled for awhile as I have several other projects going on. My main project right now is a diesel powered motorcycle. We are hoping to get 120+mpg out of it come Spring. It's going to be a very cool motorcycle.

Anyway, here are the pictures. Thanks for letting me drive the car Jack! :wink:

SamM

PostPosted: December 13, 2009, 9:05 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

One can go a long way as a polite and articulate santa!

This looks a bit more comfy. The roll bar height was a challenge. A full, square dash make it possible.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 15, 2009, 10:18 pm 

I'm glad you enjoyed the drive, Sam. Yes, even blatting between parking lots one gets a feel for how minimal these cars are. Staring up at Metro drivers adds to the effect.

MiataV8, the square scuttle (squttle?) idea makes good sense for an enclosure, and makes a straight hinge possible at the front edge of the door. With a molded fiberglass top, one could extend the door up into the roof a la Ford GT40, and even us of Santa proportions could get in it without looking like we're auditioning for Cirque du Soleil.

Those triangular corner window things? They could be formed out of polycarbonate etc as a quarter section of a cone, to blend the air smoothly around that corner. They're not windshield so they don't have to be safety glass.

SamM wrote:
I couldn't believe how the young waitress really took to Jack.

Maybe visions of sugar plums danced in her head, but more likely (and Sam, I can see you've never waited tables) it was because, every day but Father's Day, a server's tip depends on convincing the oldest guy at the table that she finds him charming.

PostPosted: May 5, 2010, 1:14 am 

Discerning readers noted I'd deleted a photo from page 5 (at the subject's request -- anybody who doesn't like being in a photo here or on my own web site can let me know and I'll pull it off) but now that the dust has settled, some other photos are showing up.

At the top of page 4 there's a photo from Sun 'N' Fun (Lakeland FL) of my friend Sandy, who went for a quick blitz around the patch in Chet's Locost with me. Here's another from later in the afternoon. Now I could tell you a great story that would make y'all jealous and use this photo for documentation, but naah, it's just one of those odd stroke of luck photos; I was making a minor adjustment to her pose when -click- the camera went off. Besides, the photographer was her bf then and is currently her betrothed, so we were well chaperoned.

The next entry in my Locost Lifestyle photos featured Nancy, who let me shower at her place (full explanation back on page 4). Here's another pic of her, it's sure not the best photo anybody ever took of Nancy but it's the best one taken of her at Kinetic HQ, some 3000 miles west of Florida. It was a few months after Sun 'N' Fun, she was just in the neighborhood of Cave Junction...I'll tell ya, life wasn't this good when I was driving Porsches.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 6, 2010, 11:06 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

I'm not buying it, Jack.

It's like the lawyer who bangs his secretary over dinner, then smudges grass on his shoes. Tell's his wife he's late for dinner because he had a raucous affair. She calls him a liar and that she knows he really went to play golf without her.

-dave "yeah, right" hempy

ps. ...with all due respect to Nancy, who is sweet for humoring that nice old man with some fun pictures!

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: May 6, 2010, 1:26 pm 
The voice of reason

Look, you can see he has a half tank of gas!

PostPosted: May 6, 2010, 2:13 pm 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
Look, you can see he has a half tank of gas!

I was going to make some bad joke about his "needle sticking up", then I saw the plastic fuel tank in the second pic. I must have been looking at the girl in Jack's lap, not the car, which proves I ain't as old as Horizen!

:mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10