LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: June 27, 2009, 1:15 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Let's see, where was I? Oh yeah...
JackMcCornack wrote:
I also said, I've got my rain gear, how wet can I get? I was soon to find out.
I hate to ruin the surprise, but the answer is, as wet as if one put on three pair of pants with vinyl rain pants on top, two t-shirts, a shirt, a sweat shirt, a down jacket, and a rain jacket...and jumped in a swimming pool...

Jack, you know, if you're going to keep up the Locost lifestyle you might think about investing in a good Aerostich rainsuit. They work great on a bike and many have removable armor to make them less bulky.

I still think this the appropriate dressing for your cars.

PostPosted: June 27, 2009, 3:21 pm 

modernbeat wrote:
Jack, you know, if you're going to keep up the Locost lifestyle you might think about investing in a good Aerostich rainsuit.
I think I can make a functional Locost top and doors for lower cost, to coin a phrase...I'll let you know.
modernbeat wrote:
I still think this the appropriate dressing for your cars.
I fully agree, and would probably buy one if it was priced under three digits--I could buy myself an Aerostich rainsuit for less than an Angry Duck Hood Ornament.

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 12:44 am 

Actually, used touring gear sells fairly cheaply and I'll bet it's easier to find it in your size than mine.

First stop is http://www.newenough.com/.

PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 1:56 am 

Cool link, modernbeat, I appreciate it. And now, back to the story.

...I noted a set of flashing lights that weren't getting smaller in my rear view mirror. Oh yes, those were for me, all right. I signalled my intention to pull over, found a safe place, and did so. The officer stepped out of his car, and despite the clever shower cap thingie on his hat, I knew he was going to be wet by the time he got to me. I also knew from chatting with other traffic officers, that if he had to get out in the rain to deliver his message, it was unlikely to be a warning. I pulled my bandana down to my neck, so I didn't look like the subject of a wild west wanted poster, circa 1860. He sloshed up next to me.

"May I see your drivers license, registration and insurance card?" he asked, his tone belying the friendliness of his words.

"Of course, Officer," I said, eloquently capitalizing the O in Officer. "They're in a ziplock bag and they're down pretty deep, this may take a minute." I started unsnapping my rain gear.

Might as well get it over with. "That wasn't why you pulled me over, is it?" I asked.

There was a long pause, and then he said, slowly and distinctly, "I don't know where to begin."

Gulp. I started pulling up layers of shirts, working my way down to my plastic wrapped fanny pack.

"Do you know how fast you were going?" he asked.

Oh good, a question I could answer. "Yes I do," I said. "I was going exactly 70 miles an hour. I checked my speedometer with a GPS in Florida, less than a week ago."

Another pause. "You drove this from Florida?"

I shrugged. "It wasn't raining when I left."

"That's a drive," he said. "No windshield wipers."

"I have a windshield wiper," I said, demonstrating it with a quick squeege. "It works fine. I may not have been using it when you saw me because this Rainex works great..." and I babbled on a bit about the virtues of Rainex, and showed him how I could use the scrubber side of the windshield wiper to clean off the inside of the windshield, and showed him the cloth pad sewn into the backs of my Miller Welding mechanic gloves for wiping off my goggles in motion.

"No front fenders," he said.

"Front fenders!" I replied, patting them in the passenger's seat. "Got 'em right here." I went on to explain how they'd broken off coming into California, and finished with "...believe me, I didn't take them off to be stylin', I take a bath in the rain even with the fenders on, I'm sure not going to do anything on purpose to make it worse."

Then we talked some about appropriate speed for conditions, and how even if someone is not exceeding the posted speed limit, they can still earn a ticket--that posted limit assumes ideal driving conditions. I couldn't help but agree with him, and noted that the last hundred miles of a 5000 mile trip is no place to get sloppy on safety. I was still struggling with my wet clothes, so I said, "I think I'll have to get out to get to the paperwork. Could we discuss this further in your car?"

He thought for a moment. "No," he said, "be careful the rest of your drive." He gestured forward, and stood back from the Locost, and said, "The posted speed limit is 65."

I could think of two responses, and chose, "Got it, and in these conditions, a little slower would be better." He nodded and went back to his car. I started the Locost and merged into traffic, keeping it down to 60. I did the math in my head, going 60 instead of 70 would add maybe 9 minutes to the drive, getting pulled over killed 10 minutes minimum, so I'd stick with 60.

The other response to "the posted speed limit is 65," the one I didn't use, was, "Well how the heck was I supposed to know that? My tires throw up blinding walls of water on both sides of the car, you think I can read speed limit signs through this mess? The last sign I could see clearly enough to read said 70, I think it was just this side of Redding."

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 1:12 am 

HILT, CA: There's a beer-and-fuel station on I-5 a few miles from Oregon, I stopped under the gas pump shelter and asked if I could come out of the rain for a minute and pour some gas in my tank. The attendant was sympathetic. I didn't want to have my one gallon reserve tank full when I got home, and I also didn't want to run out of gas on my way over the pass into Ashland--this was, by the way, the only time I touched my 1 gallon reserve tank since I'd filled it when I'd left Chet's house. A tourist couple pulled up (California plates, but not from around here) to the pump across from me and the driver said, "West Virginia, eh? Where you headed?"

Wow, good guess, or maybe they knew Chet, or maybe he's just read the license plate. "Home to Cave Junction," I told him, "North to Grants Pass, then west about halfway to the beach."

"Oregon, eh?" he said. "You must like rain."

I do, actually, though admittedly not at the moment. I decided a reverse Andrea was in order; I would disagree with everything he said and see where the conversation went. "Hate it," I said. "That's why I moved to Cave Junction. Clear skies 362 days of the year." I looked up at the sky. "This'll break up the minute I hit the border, I should be dry by the time I get home to the banana plantation."

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 2:41 am 

STILL AT HILT, CA: And encouraged by nothing more than a quizzical look from his companion, I went into an involved shaggy dog story about how we called it that because it's in the so-called "banana belt" of Southern Oregon, but all we grow any more is mangos because the sasquach come down at night and eat the bananas.

"Man those things are smart, and they have opposable thumbs so gate latches don't even slow them down. We tried a combination of scaresqua... scaresquasas... scaresasquach, man it's hard to say that right, scaresasquach which are like scarecrows except we give them cameras instead of guns."

They nodded; right, that makes sense.

"Anyway, we mixed human watchmen with the scaresasquach and that worked for a while, except one morning we went up where there was just scaresasquaches and all their cameras were gone. It was a mystery, not a clue except the scaresasquaches' eyes were real big and their pants fit kind of tight. After we found the cameras, we couldn't get anybody to guard the banana trees at night, so we switched to mangos." I strapped in, put on my bandana and helmet. "Weff, waf nife meefing youf," I said through my soaked bandana and headed north, leaving them with a story they could share with the kids when they got home, a la "You think Aunt Agness is a nutcase, you should have seen this guy we met in Northern California."

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 11:30 am 

GRANTS PASS, OR: Coming in to Grants Pass, it rained so heavily it was hard to breath--not to a gasping panic level, just a nuisance; a little extra work clearing the water out of the weave of my bandana every breath, kind of an Interrogation Lite effect. I stopped at my favorite quick Mexican food place, Muchas Gracias, to remind my pallet I was almost home. They were patient as I dug through my clothes and plastic bags for my wallet. "Sit down, sit down, no problem," the cook said generously. I declined; I'd been sitting for five or six thousand miles and didn't mind standing, he was already going to have to mop the floor (water was draining out of my many layers of clothing and pooling at my feet, it looked like the early stages of a live action remake of The Sorcerer's Apprentice), there was no need for him to mop a bench and table too.

After a leisurly lunch, I dug my cell phone out of its layers of zip lock bags and called my secretary/accomplice Jacky. I told her I'd be coming in in a bit, and asked her to meet me at the hangar with a couple of towels and some dry clothes. She told me not to rush, it was pouring in Cave Junction and she'd rather not drive until it lightened up some. I told her I'd wait it out.

Within the hour it had lightened up to just regular rain, the standing water had run off the restaurant parking lot, the rain through the 1/4" holes in the Locost's floor pan was no longer making coriolis effect bathtub swirls on its way out, it was time to conclude this wonderful adventure. I thanked my hosts at Muchas Gracias, called Jacky and told her I was on my way, and since my camera was sharing a ziplock with my cell phone, I got this one last pic of the car before I buttoned up for my last splash.

I hardly noticed the rainfor the half hour it took to drive to Cave Junction. I stopped at several local businesses to say "I'm back," and let them get a look and a laugh at how hardy I am. I drove to the airport, where Jacky refused me a hug ("Maybe later, get dry first.") but she had the hangar door open already and it was otherwise a warm welcome, and yes, I got a hug once I got towelled off. In retrospect, it was the perfect ending, one last challenge overcome, then home to a hot shower.

The End. I made it. Than you for reading and thank you for your patience. The floor is now open to questions.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 3:27 pm 
The voice of reason

When are going to do it again? This kind of story really shouldn't end, we're having too much fun reading it. Some people come to their calling latter then others, you just thought you were an airplane / car designer. Seems your more likely to be a famous travel writer now.

I remember a story about someone trying to drive a Land Rover from Alaska to the bottom of South America. They had some big problems with broken springs in Central America. Your Perfect For This! Don't Wait Too Long!
:) :cheers: 8) :) :shock:

PostPosted: July 1, 2009, 12:02 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

CONGRATS, JACK!!! :cheers:

Helluva good story, as always.

Looking at this picture...

It looks like your rear end is dragging a bit. Is that just because of all the junk in your trunk, spring choice, or just a funny camera angle?

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: July 1, 2009, 12:06 pm 

Trunk? What trunk?

We raised the front end some before I left Chet's place, to where a medium possum, supine, is a press fit between the engine oil pan and the roadway. We didn't have a ground clearance issue in the back and we were in a hurry so we didn't mess with the rear suspension. Pragmatism rules!

I think the angle makes it more obvious that the rear is set up lower than the front, and the reflection off the asphalt might be a factor, but mostly I think it's the angle. The tapered chassis makes a high shot from a rear quarter look like the front of the chassis is higher than it is. The horizon reflection in the hood also angles up in the front, which makes it a bit harder for the eye to follow the actual chassis line and makes the nose look lifted more than it is.

BTW, that medium possum ride height wasn't our target, nor is it part of the NTSS regs, it's merely a post-adjustment figure I determined by experimenation.

PostPosted: July 14, 2009, 1:41 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
We raised the front end some before I left Chet's place, to where a medium possum, supine, is a press fit between the engine oil pan and the roadway...

It's Jack's habit to raise EVERY Locost he buys. You should have seen the de-lowering job we did on mine, including removing the front fenders, before he flat towed it back home from the Salt Flats. I guess he wanted more than 1.5" of ground clearance. :shock:

PostPosted: November 1, 2009, 3:34 pm 

dhempy wrote:
CONGRATS, JACK!!! :cheers:

Helluva good story, as always.

Looking at this picture...

It looks like your rear end is dragging a bit. Is that just because of all the junk in your trunk, spring choice, or just a funny camera angle?

-dave

I know it's been a while ago this was posted but I don't remeber seeing it. Regardless, I can answer that one for you Dave. IIRC we raised the front and lowered the rear to change the rake of the car and get the driver down out of the wind a little more. Remember I have a "shorty" windsheild installed and Jack didn't like looking over it. :wink:

PostPosted: November 1, 2009, 5:01 pm 

Chet gave me some goggles for the trip so I didn't feel I was at much risk for roadway rubble in the eyes, I was more concerned about speed bumps banging on the belly. None of the civilians noticed the rearward rake, though a few keen eyed locosters picked up on it. The only problem of a Miata powerplant in a book frame (in my opinion) is the engine hangs down about an inch too far for my tastes--another inch of chassis height would take care of that.

It was quite an educational trip for me. I wonder what I'll learn on the next adventure.

PostPosted: November 2, 2009, 7:16 pm 

Jack: "Speaking of photos, I bet 100 people have taken pix of me driving. I wave (I smile too, but they can't see that) and try not to get annoyed when they box me in...which happens all to frequently."

Sorry Jack.. Guilty as charged!! You may or may not remember it, but I certainly do and my wife does even more as she thought I had gone totally crazy! Kiddo just thought they were the coolest cars ever and wanted me to get building!!

A couple of months ago you were heading out of Hood River, OR on a June Sunday early afternoon on I-84 west. When some non-descript black Audi Wagon started doggin you for a few miles. I remember the little kinetic.com sticker and wondering if there was another maker of 7's out there! I spent the better part of 30 miles in front of, beside and behind you watching the 7 roll down the road. That was the beginning of the push to sell my other car so I could begin to build my Locost. When you finally exited behind me, I was very tempted to turn around and try to follow, but I figured I'd harassed the owner enough and kept going.

I never put 2+2 and thought that it might have been you, but reading this trip log and you talking about your custom made sticker and seeing the pic of it made everything add up!

Sorry for acting like one of the screaming fans you see everywhere you go. Had I known it was "Jack from Kinetic" though I probably would have waited till you needed gas and struck up a conversation! (Audi has a 400 miles range.. would only have been a matter of time!! :D )

When I finish mine, I plan to take a week or so and do a circuit of the US (abbreviated) from WA to IL, KS, OH and maybe KY and back. I thought it was an awesome yet insane plan before but after reading your log, I want to even more! I'm gonna post a inquiry about it to see if I can get some fellow Locosters to join in at least for a few of the miles!!

Sorry for messin with your drive a bit.. Hope you'll forgive and I'll buy a round the next time your in town to make up for it!! :cheers:

KS

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: November 2, 2009, 10:49 pm 

Well cool, KS, I'm glad the sight of a real live Locost pepped up your missus. That was the car, all right, but it wasn't me. It was the new owner on his way to Walking Man Brewery in Stevenson WA. He's happy, and I'm inspired to add my own Miata-powered Locost to the Kinetic fleet. There's just something about building your own, y'know?

Did he have the front fenders back on it yet?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next