LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 12:56 am 

I've been disappointed with the fodder at my local auto parts store. I'd like something small, round or rectangular, clear lens with a chrome or black base that can mount to the sheet metal.

Maybe something like the Caterham below, but maybe not quite so bulky?

Any ideas?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 1:29 am 

I'm using three free HF LED flashlights, wired in series to make 'em run on 12 volts. I think three of their bigger ones would be better but these are good enough for normal backing-up speeds.

Time will tell how weather resistant they are.

I mounted them in holes the diameter of the head threads, and then assembled the flashlights with the head on one side of the hole, and the handle on the other.

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 1:43 am 

you guys are sure taking this low cost thing to heart :chev:

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 8:13 am 

Rust B
I think the lights on the Caterham are actually fog lites. In England you have to have a minimum, at least one rear facing fog lite on the car. Are you sure that your state requires back up lites.
Dave W

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 8:18 am 
Locostering Legend

I like the Hella square light:
Attachment:
2009-06-13-001.jpg

PA only requires one "reversing light".

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 8:21 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Why don't you use reverse lamps that are integral to the tail/turn assy? I like these Nissan fork lift lamps I posted in the suppliers section a few years ago. They are currently about $30 each. Be sure to get the right voltage assembly:

http://equipsol.net/zencart/index.php?m ... d868241bfd

If you'd rather have separate backup lamps, for surface mount, consider a Petersen 393C:
http://www.pmlights.com/products.cfm?cI ... 8&pId=2080

For flush mount, consider grommet mount 6.5" x 2" oval lamps, such as the Petersen 416. Just drill two holes with a hole saw and connect them. Get LED rather than cheap incandescent because they are not serviceable.
Usually, a reverse lamp is a stop lamp and bulb assembly, but with a clear lens.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... htm%23tail

$5 throw away, as it is sealed and the bulb is not replaceable. Grommet and connector sold separately:
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/ ... U70CB.html

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 9:40 am 

It will be tough to beat Jack's costs. If you want a bit of Vintage British then I suggest these 2 options.

For the rectangular lenses, I'd look at the MGB reverse lights. New they run around 15-18 bucks a piece. You can find them used but the lens's cloud over.
Attachment:
mgb reverse lights.JPG

For round lenses, I used a vintage Lucas 488 assembly. They can be bought new or found with a bit of searching at swap meets, e-Bay etc. Generally, the chrome trim ring on the originals is pretty good and the lens is glass so it does not cloud.
Attachment:
lucas 488.JPG

You can always use the std trailer oval reverse lights that Miatav8 suggested too. they can be found just about anywhere.

Just a few more suggestions.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 12:57 pm 

davew wrote:
Rust B
I think the lights on the Caterham are actually fog lites. In England you have to have a minimum, at least one rear facing fog lite on the car. Are you sure that your state requires back up lites.

Naah those clear lights are reverse lights. The fog lights (Which I was gobsmacked to find are not mandatory everywhere, but in retrospect it makes sense as the uk is rather... foggy) are always red. Like an extra bright tail light. Sometimes people put them on just cos they saw fog in the distance, or it rained a bit and proceed to blind any driver behind them, resulting in road rage ARGGHHH! But when it's super foggy, they are great.

Tom...

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 1:01 pm 

I found little white beehive lights at my local Canadian Tire for a couple bucks. I'd take a photo but I broke it moving the car. :BH:

was like this but white

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 1:03 pm 
The voice of reason

I thought the red lights on back were "rain lights", not fog lamps.

They should have LED light bars with white LEDs in them. The type some people are mounting to the rear of the roll bar... You might also check for places that are selling all the marker lights for trucks. The new LED ones are nice and small, which I think would be good on a Locost.

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 2:19 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
I thought the red lights on back were "rain lights", not fog lamps.

Nope, they are called fog lights.

"You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves."

They just reduce visibility in the rain too due to dazzling so not really suitable as a rain light.

On the open wheel racecars however, rain == rooster tails & general bad visibility behind you, so a flashing red 'rain light' is mandatory.

Edit: So I was reading more regs and they can be used in non-fog conditions too. It really is down to visibility, so in fog, or heavy snow or torrential rain where you actually cannot see further than ~100M, then sure, you can have the fog light on, but it's still called a fog light. Basically, if you can see a car in front of you (that doesn't have fog lights on) within your stopping distance then you don't need your fog light on (and by law should not have it on).

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 3:30 pm 
The voice of reason

Thanks, Tom. My only experience is with the one in my race car, labeled "rain" and referred to as that in the rules. I do see them on occasionally in European cars because the USA driver is oblivious...

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 3:37 pm 

I'd love to agree with you on the USA drivers comment, but no, I would say everyone is oblivious regardless of country (except Germany lol). Well, when I say everyone, I mean the 99.99% of people that make up the clueless driving masses, not those that are passionate and care about driving like us lot :cheers:

Fog light misuse in the UK is a huge problem, or at least it was 11 (Blimey :( ) years ago when I lived there.

Tom...

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 4:17 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Why don't you use reverse lamps that are integral to the tail/turn assy? I like these Nissan fork lift lamps I posted in the suppliers section a few years ago.

Because I would have to replace my already installed Britax tail lights. I passed on the Nissan/Kubota/Hyster etc. tail lights a year or more ago. The britax from Jack are genuine units, came with the properly contoured radius blocks for mounting and were within just a couple bucks of the tack-on fork lift lights.

Thanks but your other suggestions are too large / bulky for me.
I don't want a big rubber grommet around it like you see on semi trucks.

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

PostPosted: January 11, 2011, 4:19 pm 

rx7locost, I'm liking the Lucas 488 suggestion. Are the lenses flat, domed or beehive in shape?

Thanks!