LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 18, 2016, 4:47 am 

I bought a set of those a couple years ago for my Alpine. Price has not changed much. But if you need LIGHT, they are incredible.

Bill

PostPosted: December 19, 2016, 12:16 am 

Hopefully, by the time i get my car built, The price will come down some more! :wink:

PostPosted: December 22, 2016, 6:46 pm 

Another update for this thread -

For those of us using headlights that utilize H-4 type halogen bulbs, I note that recent advancements in LED chipsets has changed the playing field considerably. I was doing a bit of research earlier today, and discovered (well, it was news to me, anyway!) that there are a raft of new LED bulb products out there.

A few months ago, dissatisfied with the headlight lighting on my GoldWing motorcycle, I bought a pair of Pathfinder LED replacement bulbs from SoCal. The resulting illumination is nothing short of astounding....without glare to other drivers. I found that, on high beam, at highway speeds, objects 11 seconds ahead of me were fully lit, as though in daylight. This compares to about 4.5 seconds during testing, for mid-range Halogen H-4's (with a projected life span of only several weeks to a few months). This is a vast improvement on a motorcycle, where a deer-strike (extremely common in my area...been there, have permanent injuries as a result) is not merely an inconvenience, but life-threatening.

The pattern of light on high beam doesn't really matter, as long as it lights up the road right in front of you & extends down the road a long way. The pattern on low beam, however, IS important. The Pathfinder bulbs have an inherent flaw in their design: BOTH LED emitters are placed on the bulb's "stalk" at identical distances from the headlight reflector, unlike halogen bulbs, which have the two emitters (or filaments, in the case of halogens) at very different distances from the reflector. The result is that you can have a precisely focused low beam, or an effective high beam, but not both.

I posed this issue to GoldWing sites, LED manufacturers, etc.

It appears some manufacturers have been listening. The NEW series of LED "bulbs" have their emitters positioned precisely the same as their halogen counterparts, so give precisely the same light pattern as the halogens (so, no glare for other drivers)...except with greater than 500% of the light output of halogens, while using less power.

Currently, I have 3 vehicles which use 4 halogen headlights (the Locost, a 2000 Miata, and a 2005 Ford Escape). I've just ordered a set like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Philips-LE ... 2199186381

I'll be testing them in one or more of the aforementioned "test mules" to see how well they work.

Of course, none of them (from what I can tell) are DOT-approved, and aren't likely to be for some time. Mind you, Philips, Osram, et al have been selling non-compliant bulbs for years (100W H-4 halogens, for example). I can't honestly recall the last time I got stopped so someone could check the DOT rating on my headlight bulbs...

Of course, during the registration/licensing process, one would be well advised to fit the original DOT-approved halogen bulbs, and change them to the LED's "at a later time".

One of the disadvantages to headlight patterns in low-slung sports cars is that the headlights are very close to the ground (compared to, say, a pickup truck, SUV, crossover, etc.). The light is far more indirect when it's low to the road, and more of it reflects off the road surface & into the treetops. So, not much road illumination results.

If, on the other hand, you can have at least a 500% increase in light output in the first place, without causing glare to other drivers, with a bulb lifespan of 30,000-50,000 hours of burn time, and all at a reduced electrical system draw & less cost than top-tier halogen bulbs, you're waaay ahead of the ball IMHO.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'll report back once I receive my new bulbs & have a chance to test them.

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: December 22, 2016, 11:37 pm 

I'll be interested to see the results of your "mule" tests!

PostPosted: December 28, 2016, 1:32 pm 

Still waiting for them to arrive from China...the anticipated delivery date is between the first of January and the 31st of March... :shock: :BH:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: September 25, 2017, 11:47 pm 

Another update, or rather an unusual pricing situation discovered. Looking around, prices still seem to be equal to those in my last post. I thought I'd check out Speedway Motors. Usually have decent prices on most everything, right? I found the Truck lite 27270C mentioned in my previous post as being sold at $160. Well, it seems Speedway sells the same units for the princely sum of $289.99 each! So much for that Idea! :shock:

PostPosted: September 25, 2017, 11:50 pm 

Sorry!

Last edited by ngpmike on May 13, 2018, 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: September 26, 2017, 12:05 am 

So I'm seeing an implication that my treasured Super Oscar 100w halogen driving lights are obsolete?
At the silly price of LED's I think my Oscars have many more years of life left in them. :!:
I'm a traditionalist at heart anyway and the LED's do look funny.

PostPosted: September 26, 2017, 11:42 am 

Do they still make the "Super Oscars"? That's a name I haven't heard in decades! Back in the mid 70s, I had a pair of "Oscars", not "Super", on the front (where else?) of my '73 Honda Civic. Really funny looking setup. :lol: Oh, but I loved that little car and those lights!

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 1:16 am 

It seems they do, https://www.ozautoelectrics.com/automotive-lighting/driving-lights/cibie-driving-lights/cibie-super-oscar.html but I would choke on the current prices!

Got mine decades ago, glad I have two sets.

PostPosted: October 2, 2017, 4:34 pm 

the problem i had was when feeding the bulbs with large diameter wire and relays with high and low beam on in the high position the bulbs would burst and coat the reflector with carbon.
i think the problem was using closed headlight buckets, in modern cars there is ventilation behind the bulbs.

i now have total LED lights with a white halo for marker lights and an amber halo for turn signals.

i used ones designed for a jeep.

these are almost bright enough to spot a black cow at 200 yards in pitch black on an open range country road whilst doing 65 mph!!!

doesn't help much when you crest a hill and the cow is less than 20 feet away!!!

i may also be fitting some kind of light bar in my bumper soon to suppliment the high beam.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 2:27 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
i may also be fitting some kind of light bar in my bumper soon to suppliment the high beam.

Which LED lights are you using?

Would you mind posting a photo of your light bar if you do install one? I am trying to imagine how it would mount on a 7.

Thanks.

PostPosted: November 22, 2019, 4:04 pm 

Hey there, Wondering if either john hennessy or anyone else had tried these on our cars and had a review.

PostPosted: November 22, 2019, 5:17 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I ordered a pair of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESSGOO-H4-9003 ... 2749.l2649

I looked for a low beam blocker plate like these have and the flange is keyed so it will only clock one way.
I also wanted slightly more wattage so as not to be annoying but a brighter light, even if it is correctly positioned means more glare.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 28, 2019, 9:49 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

If I were the only person on the road, they would be awesome, but they are way too bright. The key ring comes off so you don't have to cut the sealing boot to get it over the led body.

I was looking for slightly brighter lights for H4 bulbs and 9004 bulbs. I found the most consistent search method was by comparing lumens (LM) to watts, looking for 2000-3000LM per bulb (often listed as pairs so 4000-6000lm) and 18-20w (often listed as pairs at 36-40w). What I bought was 36w and 4500lm per bulb.

Stock incandescents are supposed to be 800lm low, 1200lm high beam for 2000lm per bulb.

There are chip sets such as 2538 that produces 850lm with a two-sided led for day time running lights, but not good for night driving. The 3570 is brighter and a two sided led would be about right.

Sellers are completely inconsistent on the specs with crazy numbers from ignorance or salesmanship. Fine print often bears no resemblance to the listing title so it is a crap shoot to buy cheap leds from ebay. There are reputable sites that specialize in leds lights that cost a lot more ($70/pair versus $15) but at least you know what you are getting.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12