LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 26, 2024, 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 10, 2012, 10:50 am 

Hey guys- I created a problem and need to try a go-around to fix it..

I've used the motorcycle harness on my BEC build, and on all 4 corners have changed trurn signal sockets/bulbs (the new bulbs are all quite small)- they all work, but they flash VERY fast (like when you have a bulb burned out)... So I've upset my turn signal flasher- maybe there's another type of flasher that I should use instead?

I can live with the fast flashing if I must-- within a year I plan to change all of the turn signals over to LEDs; so I'll have to deal with the 'load' flashing issue then... I just thought if this is an easy fix I'd go ahead and do it.

As always- thanks for the insight.. so cool I can spend the weekend creating new problems, knowing the brain trust here can help me fix it :D

ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: September 10, 2012, 12:54 pm 

Your flash rate changed because you have a different resistance in the circuit than the flasher was built for. You have three options,

1) find new bulbs with a resistance rating (ohms) that matched the factory application,

2) add resistors in series or parallel with the bulbs you have to tailor the resistance. - that's more work and would take a little bit of EE knowledge...

3)or you can use an electronic flasher. The electronic units use a logic circuit and send/stop current at a regular flashing rate regardless of the load. I used one (Tridon brand I think) on my old Ford pick-up when I had the same problem. They are quite a bit more expensive than the standard units (like $15 vs. $4) but are generally sold off the shelf at your local auto parts store.

it sounds like an electronic flasher is the right approach here because your upcoming LED bulb switch out will change the resistance of the flash circuits again.

Miata based, custom chassis build in progress. First Drive!!! http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2269&start=375

PostPosted: September 10, 2012, 2:14 pm 

it sounds like an electronic flasher is the right approach here because your upcoming LED bulb switch out will change the resistance of the flash circuits again.

I think you've nailed it.. I've got a funky little honda 3-pronged flasher that shouldn't be too tough to replace with an appropriate electronic flasher.. thanks for laying out all of the options :cheers:

ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: September 10, 2012, 10:01 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

It's blinking fast because you're drawing more current than the blinker is designed for. As was said, an electronic blinker will fix it, but so will going to LED lamps, which you plan on doing anyway...

PostPosted: September 10, 2012, 11:57 pm 
The voice of reason

This happens in general when people put trailer on their car. So you can get a little signal flasher made for trailers that doesn't care about the number of bulbs, since the trailer is not always on the car. They are very inexpensive at any car part store...

PostPosted: September 20, 2012, 2:12 pm 

Be careful about 'living with the fast flasher I (you) must' because there is an specified range for flasher rate within construction codes. I've never heard it happen, but a policeman or motor vehicle inspector could ticket for to high a flash rate - but he'd have to be awfully bored .... A fast flash rate could also be a basis for failing a first inspection which is more likely than a ticket.

An electronic flasher is a good idea!