LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 7:07 pm 

This is a question about motorcycle wiring. If you'd like to put it over in BEC category, that's alright.

I have a 920 Yamaha Virago bike, including engine that is almost new (2700 miles) even though it was built in 1983 or so. Everything electrical unplugs, so I have a lot of bare un-plugged wires hanging where I pulled out the rear end. A lot of the electric stuff is on the rear wheel cover.

Nice the way that rear assembly can be removed, with tire and wheel and brake, rear gear cluster and swing arm all in one piece.

Here is where I'd like some advice: There has to be a way to sort through all the electric stuff and include or eliminate selected parts of it. I know one can take each thing, like an ignition cut-off and trace it, but I am hoping for a neater way.

Anybody got any suggestions? This kind of question must come up often in the repair and modification of bikes.

PostPosted: November 14, 2013, 9:10 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

You pretty much summed it up. It has to be traced out. If you want another set of eyes looking at your schematics for the virago, just send them to me or post them. I assume you have the schematics. Just take digital photos of the schematics if you have no copier or scanner.

How is the leaning trike progressing?

PostPosted: November 14, 2013, 1:54 pm 

Thank you Miatav8. Now you will get a doped-up schematic. I will try to mark off the things I don't want; some of the circuits are too complicated for my poor brain. I was so much more comfortable with the '46 pick-up I used to have. A few wires leading to a few places!

The project is up in the air; I mean it is on a bench now and that gives a new perspective. Most of the stuff is done that will allow it to go on its own power, and I keep having to remind myself that is more important now than doors and bonnet.

I have essentially all the parts; it is just arranging them in a workable way. Isn't that always the problem?

PostPosted: November 16, 2013, 5:27 pm 

The Haynes book has a much more understandable, clearer schematic of the virago wiring. My impulse now is to transplant all the wiring from the bike to the car, snipping out a few things I don't need.

The thing that convinced me is the fact that the bike has a computer, the one with a speedometer on the screen. I should be able to use all of it, then bypass parts that don't look good aesthetically. I would have a standard old-fashioned pair of meters, speedometer and tachometer on the dash where they belong, and a couple of other meters if I so choose.

The computer would be hidden under something!