LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 18, 2015, 8:42 pm 

gregk wrote:
seattletom wrote:
My favorite right now is from a 1995-96 Acura TL, 110 amps max.
You're referring to the 2.5 TL and not the 3.2 TL, right?
Greg, thanks for keeping a sharp eye out, much appreciated. Yes, its from the 2.5 I5 which is a CCW motor. The 3.2 V6 is a CW motor so wouldn't address the cooling question.

Here's a clip from the ND catalog, part number 210-0201:
Attachment:
Alternators ND-1.jpg
I plan to run it upside down from what the picture shows and, as mentioned, pulley-end pointed towards the LS motor. Not 100% sure on this model yet, still waiting on idle amp and size information.

Horizonjob wrote:
Yup, that's a lot, so your doing right looking for 60 amps. How much does the water pump draw?
Marcus, the water pump draws 7 amps (less than I thought it would,) the fuel pump 15 amps and the cooling fan a whopping 21 amps when the water's hot. So that's a total of 43 amps before I turn the engine and lights on.

Here's a table out of the Powermaster catalog for "sizing a race alternator." My numbers fall in the ballpark.
Attachment:
alternator draw.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: November 18, 2015, 9:26 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Idle amps depends entirely on how fast the alternator is spinning. Also, an alternator shouldn't be put on any old engine without first calculating its maximum speed, which should be around 15000 or so.

You may well have to change pulley sizes or risk needlessly low output at idle, or risk destroying it by over-speeding it.

PostPosted: November 18, 2015, 10:14 pm 

My buddy went with a 1-wire ND alternator. My problem with doing that was, aside from the obvious issue of not inducing charging at idle, there's no provision for a charging system warning light.

Personally, I'd rather know it's time to get home, or to a shop, than not know ithere's a problem until the lights dim & I sputter to a stop on the side of a dark country road. I've had British cars - I know what that's like :shock:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: November 18, 2015, 11:38 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Idle amps depends entirely on how fast the alternator is spinning. Also, an alternator shouldn't be put on any old engine without first calculating its maximum speed, which should be around 15000 or so.
You may well have to change pulley sizes or risk needlessly low output at idle, or risk destroying it by over-speeding it.
Good points, Kurt. Most specs seem to peg "idle amps" at 2500 alternator rpms (approx. 800 engine rpm with a 3:1 pulley ratio.) With that pulley ratio, a 6500 rpm engine redline would be pushing 20,000 alternator rpms. Must be why "race prepped" alternators focus on overdrive pulleys which result in low idle amps combined with improved bearings to keep them spinning.

Here's a generic graph from the ND website showing output current vs. alternator rpm. I imagine the curve goes flat beyond the max speed shown, at least until the bearings get fried.
Attachment:
Alternator curve.jpg
The output current scale shown isn't as interesting as the shape of the curve and the rapid current drop on the left side of the graph. It does pay to do a little planning.

zetec7 wrote:
My buddy went with a 1-wire ND alternator. My problem with doing that was, aside from the obvious issue of not inducing charging at idle, there's no provision for a charging system warning light.
Personally, I'd rather know it's time to get home, or to a shop, than not know ithere's a problem until the lights dim & I sputter to a stop on the side of a dark country road. I've had British cars - I know what that's like :shock:
Amen to that!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: November 19, 2015, 1:26 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather know it's time to get home,

We had a very nice set of posts recently about how to design and build electric indicators including idiot lights. $5 of parts will set you up for warning on alternator current and also water temp, oil pressure and whatever else you want. Don't be afraid to solder a couple of wires after welding your frame!

PostPosted: November 19, 2015, 8:35 am 

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather know it's time to get home, or to a shop, than not know ithere's a problem until the lights dim & I sputter to a stop on the side of a dark country road.
Either a voltage gauge or an ammeter will do that for you. Each has it's own purpose and advocates.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 19, 2015, 12:25 pm 

It's probably a dumb thought, but are there any alternators with a "smart" pulley, say with an electric clutch or mechanical governor that will disengage when a safe RPM level is exceeded? You'd think someone else has solved this before. All those endurance racers must have the same problem: need big draw at night, but can't fry the alternator at high RPM.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 19, 2015, 2:04 pm 

Quote:
All those endurance racers must have the same problem: need big draw at night, but can't fry the alternator at high RPM.
I'm not sure what you are asking. I would think that the frying at high RPM is related mainly to bearing life. It has little to do with current draw, with the exception of the temperature derating of the bearings. You might be able to fry an alternator if operating at full output (watts) for extended periods of time. This would be due to internal temperatures and cause winding insulation failure. I would think modern internal regulators have some sort of temperature sensing and would fold back the output power if necessary. Easy enough to do by regulating the field current.

I just googled maximum RPM of alternators and it seems that somewhere between 12,000 and 18,000 RPM would be their rating, depending in which "expert" you believe. My rX-7 for instance has a red line of 8,000 RPM and about a 2:1 pulley ratio. Which would spin the alternator at 16,000 RPM.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 19, 2015, 5:45 pm 

Tom you may find what you are looking for in the marine world, many chevs etc running ccw so there may well be alternators available with fans to suit. Just thoughts.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: November 19, 2015, 6:12 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Of course there's the little issue of when you add Marine to any part it becomes even more expensive than when you add Harley Davidson.

And also it's not as readily available should one fail you in Podunk, USA

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 19, 2015, 6:40 pm 

LOL!! :D

In the "marine parts" world, we refer to money in terms of "marine units", where one "marine unit" = $1,000. Ask me how I know...or how many "marine units" I've spent in the last few years!

It matters not if the identical part is available as a terrestrial-use item...once a nautical reference is attached, its price increases by orders of magnitude...and its availability decreases in the same proportions. :ack:

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: November 19, 2015, 7:45 pm 

@rx7locost
It was a poor choice of wording on my part, Chuck. I was really referring to the RPMs of the alternator exceeding its design limits.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 11, 2015, 8:05 pm 

Based on all your inputs I found an alternator that should work. To get the fan rotation needed for a reverse-mount, I researched the Denso on-line catalog for CCW Honda units that were rated for at least 90 amps. Using the cross-referenced pictures in the catalog, mounting lug and output terminal positions and case size became the next priorities. After some mock-up exercises, I settled on this "95 amp" unit from a '97 - '01 CR-V:
Attachment:
001-1.jpg
Attachment:
003-1.jpg
Attachment:
002-1.jpg

Had it rebuilt (locally :D) with USA quality bearings, an OEM Delco regulator and a 6-groove pulley. At speed it tested at 125 amps output and at 3400 alternator rpm, 65 amps. Output will drop off quickly at my idle target of 2500 alternator rpm, but that can be adjusted with my right foot if stuck in traffic for too long. It's set up as a three-wire: an ignition-on wire for the exciter, an alt. light ground wire and the + terminal (output.)

Thanks for all your help, gents. Now back to my build log to get this puppy mounted.

PostPosted: December 11, 2015, 8:21 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

rx7locost wrote:
Quote:
All those endurance racers must have the same problem: need big draw at night, but can't fry the alternator at high RPM.
I'm not sure what you are asking. I would think that the frying at high RPM is related mainly to bearing life. It has little to do with current draw, with the exception of the temperature derating of the bearings. You might be able to fry an alternator if operating at full output (watts) for extended periods of time. This would be due to internal temperatures and cause winding insulation failure. I would think modern internal regulators have some sort of temperature sensing and would fold back the output power if necessary. Easy enough to do by regulating the field current.

I just googled maximum RPM of alternators and it seems that somewhere between 12,000 and 18,000 RPM would be their rating, depending in which "expert" you believe. My rX-7 for instance has a red line of 8,000 RPM and about a 2:1 pulley ratio. Which would spin the alternator at 16,000 RPM.

My brother put an alternator on his LS3 without first calculating how fast it would spin. It worked fine - for about a week - then quit. He put on another, which did the same thing. Turned out that he was spinning it up to around 20,000. It's not the bearings that failed, it was the armature wires that pulled away from their "nesting" areas and got ground off by the stator.

PostPosted: December 26, 2015, 9:12 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
However, the fuel pump, water pump and radiator fan can pull a combined (rated) 43 amps. Throw in some juice to fire the engine and then turn on the lights. Sneaks up towards 60 amps and I'm not planning a big battery for reserve.
Yo Tom! Are you "not planning a big battery" because of size limitations or just general adding lightness? I have a "full size" Optima dry cell in the Slotus, with no alternator at all. If fully charged, it will run the electric water pump, the fuel pump and all the engine electronics as well as crank the engine numerous times for a full autocross weekend, with two drivers. I realize that no alternator is not a practical thing for a street car, but I'm saying the battery is equally important to the alternator for the operation of the various electric/electronic stuff on the car.

My original point when I started typing was "If you use a good size battery, you don't need a 60 amp alternator" but now that I think on it a bit more, I guess the converse is true too. OK, I'll get me hat and coat on the way out... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom