LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OEM vs Megasquirt
PostPosted: July 12, 2017, 8:31 am 

ajmacdon wrote:
Tundra 7 wrote:
I got a lot of feedback from DIYAUTOTUNE today. The best option is the Microsquit with some GM sensors. The MAP, closed element IAT, open element IAT, Wide band controller and sensor. the whole package is $650. They said if you unscrew the box and split it lay a silicone bead in the joint its waterproof. Thats good because I can screw it to the firewall then.

And this is why I love megasquirt: DIY autotune says "if you unscrew the box you can make it waterproof" vs AEM, Motec, Haltec, etc "If you unscrew the box we'll never speak to you again." :lol:

I have a megasquirt on my SR20 volvo swap and it is great! echo all the other comments, easy to tune, etc. If you download the MSDroid app to your cell phone it will log your data with a GPS track and overlay it on google maps so you can remember exactly what intersection some idle stumble, etc. happened and find it in data. Just one of many cool things from the megasquirt community.

Alex

Wow that cell phone feature is nice. Good to hear. I watched a couple install videos yesterday and it does seem to be a pretty turn key sysytem. It's also good to here we won't lose our warranty.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: October 6, 2019, 12:55 am 

Resuscitating an older post to see if there's an update from OP.

Tundra7, what was your final setup like? Did you end up with the MS? If so, which one (MS, MS2, MS3)? Do you still have the MS you installed in your 7? Any regrets on the one you purchased, if so which direction would you have gone instead?

I'm truly interested because I just ordered a MS2PnP because I have a 2000 Miata SE 6-speed and I don't know anything about the car. I have the Engine/Wiring Harness, Tranny, Rear Differential all from the same car and that's about all I know about it. I went through a few junkyards around here and they told me that there are about 3 ECU's that were used for the 6-speed (year 2000) that I have. So, decided that I didn't want to go through the time and potential money loss it would have taken to find the one that matched my system. Plus, because I need to delete several emission systems, I'd like to have the ability to do so. I'm going to title this 7 as a 1965 and this state adheres to the emissions standards that were in place when the vehicle was "manufactured".

PostPosted: October 6, 2019, 4:01 am 

Not quite related but another option might be Speeduino? I have purchased a Speeduino for my Honda J35 V6, but not run it yet. It uses the same setups as megasquirt through tunerstudio. It is also open source and has a great community but is very techie. It is also cheap and a majority of the installs are mx5., worth checking out pazi88 on youtube, his BMW turbos run great.

PostPosted: October 6, 2019, 9:50 am 

GrabberOrange wrote:
Resuscitating an older post to see if there's an update from OP.

Tundra7, what was your final setup like? Did you end up with the MS? If so, which one (MS, MS2, MS3)? Do you still have the MS you installed in your 7? Any regrets on the one you purchased, if so which direction would you have gone instead?

I'm truly interested because I just ordered a MS2PnP because I have a 2000 Miata SE 6-speed and I don't know anything about the car. I have the Engine/Wiring Harness, Tranny, Rear Differential all from the same car and that's about all I know about it. I went through a few junkyards around here and they told me that there are about 3 ECU's that were used for the 6-speed (year 2000) that I have. So, decided that I didn't want to go through the time and potential money loss it would have taken to find the one that matched my system. Plus, because I need to delete several emission systems, I'd like to have the ability to do so. I'm going to title this 7 as a 1965 and this state adheres to the emissions standards that were in place when the vehicle was "manufactured".

Hi. I have it. I bought the microsquirt and installed it. So it’s a hard wire job. You cast away the OEM ECU. I like it. It’s easy to use and reliable. I don’t hesitate to drive the car anywhere. I still need a full dyno tune but the computer auto tune gets it very close.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: October 6, 2019, 8:40 pm 

As a know nothing MegaSquirt user I thought I would chime in here.

I decided to go MS based on the miles of wires that were hanging off the OEM ECU. I knew that it would add a year or 2 to my build to straighten that out and then find all the right sensors. Starting from scratch was way simpler for me. I bought a partially built MSII from a user on Club4ag, a site for those of us using or interested in Toyota 4AGE engines and I'm one.

Bought the DIY wiring harness and all the wires were labeled. Loved that.

Finished the install and fire it up. Ran terrible, almost worse than terrible. Was hesitant to give Tuner Studio's auto tune feature thinking it couldn't possibly work. When I finally did give it a shot I was very pleasantly surprised. It works. Perhaps a dyno run can further tune it but I'm quite happy now.

There is a ton of support for MS. I think if you go with it you will not be disappointed.

Cheers