LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 24, 2018, 10:05 am 

Dear Locostusa members.
I have rummaged through the electric forums and can´t make my mind.
I have a few electrical questions which I have posted also in the Locost forum.
I will be mating a Summit Racing Harness with a Daewoo Matiz (Chevrolet Matiz in Mexico) Column, an Acewell dash to a Megasquirt in turn mated to a Standard Ford Mustang Engine Harness.

- I have a Relay Board that I bought together with the MS but upon reading, I may not use it, Right now I am waiting on some relays to make my own relay arrangement and everything else on the MS I´ll connect with Terminal Strips. There are some relay that I will need to wire anyway.
Question is: Do you think leaving off the MS Relay Board is a good Idea?
If So I would have it surplus.

- I don´t have to comply with anything regarding registration minimum instruments, warning lights or the like, but want to have a sensible amount of tell tales.
I bought an Acewell 2803 about 6 or 7 years ago from Russbost back when I didn´t have a clue about what I was doing. So I´am pretty much stuck with what I´ve got.
Question is: I don’t have a Parking Brake Light tell tale; Is it a good idea to use the Hazards Warning light for Hazards (Blinking) and Parking Brake Light (Steady) Tell Tales)
If both activated, I´d like to have Hazards to show instead of Steady.
Another option could be to use the Neutral tell Tale (N Tell) Tale on the Acewell Unit. My gearbox doesn´t have a Neutral Switch so the Tell Tale wouldn´t be used.

And even another option to have an arrangement that lights both turn signal tell tales as hazards Indication and the Hazards Tell Tale as Parking brake Warning Light.

My Gearbox has the sender still on, but during storage and fitting I have broken the connector, the pins are still attached and apparently they are ok. On the other side, the Acewell Unit comes with its speed sensor and looks pretty straightforward to install.
-Question is, Which would be preferable?

Now on Megasquirt, Back when I bought the Megasquirt, It came with an SC 37 Plug and cable to assemble the Cable. I was thinking of buying an already assembled cable and cutting /grafting into my harness.
Problem is that cables in readymade cable are a bit smaller than the ones provided with MS Unit.
(Probably I know the answer to m y following question)
- Is this a good Idea? Or should I assemble the cable with wires supplied?

Summit Loom Manual: https://static.summitracing.com/global/ ... 890020.pdf
Acewell Wiring Manual: http://www.acewell-meter.co.uk/manuals/ ... Wiring.pdf
Acewell Users Manual: http://www.acewell-meter.com/wp-content ... manual.pdf

I would like to have your comments to try and make sense of my spaghetti bowl eerr.. I mean, my wiring.

Thanks in advance for reading and any assisiance provided.
Chanoquin II

PostPosted: October 24, 2018, 1:55 pm 

Every build is unique to the builder and the parts he/she is using. I can say that I used a MSII with no relay board on my build. I used the MS to drive a relay (cooling fan) and to control an electric air pump (aux port activation). It wasn't difficult to add these drivers internal in the breadboard area.

Like building a Locost, there are many ways to do this. Only you know if you have enough knowledge to mix various components and end up with a functioning system.

Is a Parking Brake Light tell tale necessary? For many, many decades, there was no such thing.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 24, 2018, 9:17 pm 

Hi R7locost.
Thanks for your time, I have never wired a car, but I never built one either, my question is to see your takes on my possibilities, and wether they make more sense than mine.
I have ABSOLUTELY no requirements as per tell tales or minimum instruments, I wanted to make sure it is not a crazy idea.
I am inclining towards using the Neutral LED as Parking brake indicator as it is already in the unit and I don´t have a neutral indicating switch in the transmission. .
Thanks for your time.
AA

rx7locost wrote:
Every build is unique to the builder and the parts he/she is using. I can say that I used a MSII with no relay board on my build. I used the MS to drive a relay (cooling fan) and to control an electric air pump (aux port activation). It wasn't difficult to add these drivers internal in the breadboard area.

Like building a Locost, there are many ways to do this. Only you know if you have enough knowledge to mix various components and end up with a functioning system.

Is a Parking Brake Light tell tale necessary? For many, many decades, there was no such thing.