LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Under Scuttle Access
PostPosted: May 19, 2019, 3:10 pm 

I don't see any references to a panel under the scuttle in any of the books. I can see the advantage of having it open in order to reach the wiring, but I am planning to use Dzuz fasteners to secure the scuttle, making it easily removable. And I am planning to use a separate dashboard, so I can pop off the scuttle (unplugging the wiper motor in the process) and get unobstructed access to all the under-scuttle wiring.

With that I want to put a panel under the scuttle, to which I can attach such things as my fuse box (access through a hinged panel in the firewall - like this https://www.aa-mfg.com/product/aa-477-a-6-x-6/ ) and EFI controller. Am I missing something here?

Jack of many trades
Master of unfinished projects
build blog/log at https://jerryslocost.wordpress.com

Post subject: Re: Under Scuttle Access
PostPosted: May 19, 2019, 4:28 pm 

I have a scuttle that comes off as you describe. But having the ability to go from top and bottom in a very small space is valuable. I have no panel under mine. after all it adds weight

PostPosted: May 20, 2019, 7:37 am 

The main attachment for my scuttle is the 4 button head screws used to hold the windshield side support brackets that attach to 4 stand offs on the frame. The front of the scuttle's fire wall sets over a sub-flange on the front engine bay deck. Two bolts and a plug releases the wiper motor. So in about 7 minutes, I have the scuttle off and windshield off. As far as having access to the under side, I would not go thru all the trouble for making it easier to access. You are really not going to be able to work down inside the foot well. I have a swing down panel, on the passenger side that lets me check the fuses. If I ever had to replace a fuse on the road. I would just plan on working top side for anything under the scuttle. Davew

PostPosted: May 20, 2019, 7:23 pm 

Hi Jerry,

I made my scuttle to be removable. Access to the gauges, a safe spot for the Mega Squirt, and fuse panels. Those are all mounted on an aluminum sheet about 3/32". It was a salvaged DOT sign, pretty hard stuff. Put hinges on the front edge and a pair of Dzus at the rear. The only access I was thinking the panel would provide was for the fuses. Poor planning made that not possible. The wires running through the firewall restricted the downward swing of the panel. I could fix this but so I haven't had the need.

Be that as it may if any problems arise the scuttle comes off rather quickly but it is a little heavy. Its 18 GA steel. Didn't trust fiberglass or aluminum to resist the pull of a passenger pulling on the windscreen to get out. Plus the wiper motor is mounted to the scuttle frame.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.