LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 12, 2024, 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 10, 2007, 11:38 am 

Would these lights work as headlights?
http://www.autoanything.com/lights/69A1333A0A0.aspx

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but is track is defined as the distance between the center of the wheels? If not, let me know. I'm looking for some numbers on what the front and rear track is on locost type cars.

Thanks in advance for any info! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10, 2007, 11:57 am 

Those lights look snazzy from the front but I'll bet they look like ass from the rear and side. I think they are made to mount into/behind/below the bumper cover. If you plan to mount them like this then they may be fine, but I wouldn't want to be staring at the back of that bracketry if mounted in the "traditional" location. You can find lights about the same price that have a smooth chrome or black casing as well as provisions for "bushed" mounting.

As for the track you are right it is measured from the center of the tires. Unless you are going to be shortening or lengthening your axles you need look no further than your rear end donor for a track number. Also bear in mind that wheel offset affects track too. For example if I went to zero offset wheels instead of the Miata rims my track would be about 3.5" wider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10, 2007, 12:54 pm 
chetcpo wrote:
Those lights look snazzy from the front but I'll bet they look like ass from the rear and side. I think they are made to mount into/behind/below the bumper cover. If you plan to mount them like this then they may be fine, but I wouldn't want to be staring at the back of that bracketry if mounted in the "traditional" location. You can find lights about the same price that have a smooth chrome or black casing as well as provisions for "bushed" mounting.

I had the same thought about the back, probably not meant to be seen. Check my website for the 4" headlights I am using. They are a bullet style and I think I paid less $40 per from Debrix Cycles on eBay. They have some up right now for 38.85 (eBay item number 330154923165). They are a cheap chinese knockoff of something, but they work fine and seem bright enough. If I could have found the originals I would probably have paid for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10, 2007, 2:40 pm 

I'm gonna use these lights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10, 2007, 9:03 pm 

First, if you're going to put headlights on the car, don't put driving lights in their place. They're not the same, and it's bad for everyone on the road, meaning you and anyone else driving. It would be best to get lights that are actually meant to be used as headlights. Headlights go to a certain range, driving lights are like five or six times longer range, which means more likelyhood of blinding oncoming traffic. Not the safest thing.

Second, if you're set on buying those, at least buy them from Susquehanna http://www.rallylights.com/Optilux/optilux_2500.asp

Not only are they cheaper, but the guy is friendly, and will actually respond to e-mails if you have questions about anything.

Finally, I think it would be better to go with some of these: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/90mm_modules.asp

The H9 version would be four times the price for two low beams and two high beams, but the amount of visibility is worth the price. Of course you could just go with two low beams and be done with it, though that's not terribly safe either.