LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29, 2007, 5:01 pm 

Toyota Rear ends:
From what I've gathered, Toyota made some useful solid rear axles with disk brakes and 4bolt hubs in the late 70s and mid 80s. Some came with LSDs, and most can have their internals swapped for thoes with LSDs (including from later IRS models)

Heres the cars they came in:
*1985-1987 Corolla
The AE86 (which is NOT in any way a GTS) SR-5 came with drum brakes
The AE88 (which IS the GTS) came with disk brakes and some with an LSD (look for a differental code ending in a 3 or 5). Good luck finding the axle for one.
There is no such thing as an AE86 GTS (based on VIN numbers)

*1979-1981 Celica Supra (MKI / first gen supra)
All had disk brakes, some with an LSD.

The Corolla drifting scene has taken most of the AE88 rear ends and they are starting to use the supra MKI's because the AE88's are so hard to get.

Most of the IRS celicas and supras or that time had trailing arm setups. MkIII supra has double wishbone, but a 5bolt wheel pattern.

heres a link to understand diff codes http://www.celica-gts.com/resources/differential_codes.html

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1, 2007, 11:16 pm 

Today, I decided on a rear for my +442 chassis. Specs:

85-88 TransAm
61" WMS width
Plate type LSD
Disc brake
Pinion is offset to the passenger side 3/4"
5X4.75 wheel pattern
10.5" brake rotor
Factory ratios 2.77, 3.27, 3.45, 3.70

As it came out loaded with brake hardware and panhard rod, it is 190lbs.
The calipers are very heavy, even having a couple pound weight on each parking brake lever.

There are aluminun calipers available from the 88-90 rear that will bolt on with the matching rotor.
I will strip it tomorrow, but think stripped with the aluminum calipers, will come in around 175.

Gene

http://www.scrabblegod.com/locost

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18, 2007, 12:14 pm 

locostv8 wrote:
Or look for one from an Explorer which is just less than 58" WMS to
WMS and you won't have to cut off the UCA mounts. Look for one out of a 96 or later V8 which should have 3.75s, LSD, and disks as well as be 5 on 4.5.

That's great info!

Is there any difference in the 2wd vs. 4wd axle? Are they all limited slip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3, 2008, 1:38 pm 

i have a question.. i was going to use IRS, but i like that rons book shows how easy it is to use a solid axle. i have a dana 44 that has an open carrier, i would need to get a ring and pinion set (3.94 and up style carrier), axles, brakes and whatever else you need to have a complete axle.. so my questions, what else would i need and where could i source if from.. i know that jeep suppliers would probably have what i am looking for, but i would like to replace the open carrier with an LSD and most of replacements are "Lockers" which i imagine means i lock it in and can't turn, which would do me no good on an autocross course.. also, would i have to build a +442 or anything like that to fit this axle under the car?

any opinions or information would be great... even telling me that a dana 44 is too much axle is ok..i just want to know.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3, 2008, 3:38 pm 

Lockers are more or less digital type LSD carriers. A locker is more like in a straight line both axles are locked then in a turn they unlock with a ratchet action to allow different wheel speeds. It is exactly what you want on an auto-x course, not really good on the street because of the noise. Another thing you have to know is that people use whatever words they want to describe the smae things. The word "posi" means an LSD axle with most likely plate style clutches. Posi is a GM term to describe their limited slip rear axle, Ford used a different brand name, and DCX used yet another. Some "lockers" are not actual locking diffs (think like Detroit Locker) but they are actually LSD carriers. It's a term that is thrown around loosely. If in doubt about the true "lockers" the Jeep guys offer you can always ask them about the operation of the carrier. You can always get one of those lockers that go into the open carrier and ratchet where the spider gears are. They aren't normally recommended for the street, but I've heard they really last longer than most people will lead you to believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3, 2008, 9:04 pm 
Is the 44 from a waggy? The WJ used an aluminum center D44(kinda) which later years had disks very similar to Explorer disks. The Jeepers don't like this rear since it becomes a bit fragile with HUGE tires under a 2 ton vehicle being BEATEN off road therefore with low demand the price should be a bit mor reasonable. I would think it would be fine in a LC and reduce unsprung weight a bit. I had a ZJ that still worked fine at 150k behind a 5.2.

Last edited by locostv8 on July 29, 2008, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4, 2008, 4:39 pm 

this isn't off of anything.. i can post a pic later, that might help to better describe it... it is just a dana 44 case, all steel, with the carrier more or less centered.. thanks for the bit of desciption about lockers... i am familar with the different terms used to describe LSDs but i have never dealt with lockers so i wasn't really sure.. honestly i could care less about noise on the street (my daily driven subaru has straight cut gears :) ) so if a locker is going to get me more grip on the auto cross course then i might look further into that.. for now i am probably going to stay with the open diff it came with, but i have to get a new ring and pinion set which i will probably hold out on until i decide on a transmission...

so would i be able to use any brake set-up from whatever vehicles used a D44?

edit: i just measured and the dana 44 case i have is 52 and 5/8ths inches wide and it is offset a little but i didn't check how much

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17, 2008, 11:13 pm 

Dana 30 from a Volvo 240.. Works well in a book chassis perfect width.
The hubs are 5 bolt with the 4.25" spacing. the hubs could be machined
for another spacing

2002 Toyota Tacoma
1999 BMW M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18, 2008, 9:29 am 

bremms wrote:
for another spacing

Do you have an actual width? I was under the impression that they had 4x4.25 bolt patterns.

I did a quick calculation on the 740 axle width (based on track, backspacing), and it looks to be around 59" (which would work well with a 442 I think (hope)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18, 2008, 9:29 am 

bremms wrote:
for another spacing

Do you have an actual width? I was under the impression that they had 4x4.25 bolt patterns.

I did a quick calculation on the 740 axle width (based on track, backspacing), and it looks to be around 59" (which would work well with a 442 I think (hope)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 12:24 am 

i took a couple pictures of that dana 44 i was talking about above..
i don't know if the axle tubes are a custom length or if this is a stock length, from side to side it measured around 52 5/8"
i am pretty sure the axles have to be 28.5".
with the 1" space between the gears in the carrier that would be around 58" from axle surface to axle surface. does anyone know if that is a standard jeep size or something? i checked around off road suppliers but couldn't find measurements. also included is a picture of the end of the axle tube, the carrier would not work with c-clip axles...

basically i need to know if the width is standard or if this is custom
if i can get axles for it, and if so, would 58" be to wide for a book frame

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 12:25 am 

here is another picture

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 12:26 am 

here is the end of the axle tube. any info on axles that would bolt to this would be great as the carrier has no provisions for a c-clip

Post subject: Dana 44
PostPosted: July 29, 2008, 7:47 pm 

The dana 44 is a very heavy axle. Unless you are using a v8 or something with an awfull lot of torque/horsepower I would use something lighter. I have a 2005 Rubicon Wrangler with a dana 44. Jeep used these through the years. All of the dana 44's that jeep used on cheeroke's and wranglers were 60 inches from wheel mount to wheel mount surface. Not sure about the wagoneers exact measurements, but they were wider than that by a couple of inches. They are pretty strong axles as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 31, 2008, 12:45 pm 

well a high horsepower force inducted small displacement engine is on the list of things i want for the car. i also plan to side step the clutch with big tires for quick 1/4 mile times.. the dana 44 might be overkill but i want to be able to abuse the mechanicals without having to worry about breaking something

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next