LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10, 2007, 8:24 pm 

Auto-X Fil wrote:
BTW, the Miata spindle has the tie-rod end located at the exact same height as the lower BJ, and 1.0" outboard. This gives ~100% Ackermann. It's also 4.25" forward of the lower BJ.

My bad. When you factor in the caster angle ( I used 9-10º) and the shorter stud on the tie-rod end, it's a full inch higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12, 2007, 3:27 am 

Caster or Kingpin? 9-10 degrees sounds like a lot of caster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 5:34 pm 

http://21cgt.com/FMWebCatalog/default.htm

I found this while looking for bolt on hubs for custom uprights. all of their hub bearings are not on the catalog. To get to the hub bearings, you must click specifications at the top, then National Hub Assemblys, then driven or non driven in product sub catagory, then abs sensor type in the last window, then click search. specifications are given for each hub bearing, but some are a little cryptic, specs for the fiero rear hub can be found by searching part 513011k in the search window. That fiero part also works at advance auto parts website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 6:27 pm 
Always Moore!

You're the man...what an excellent find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26, 2008, 8:05 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Auto-X Fil wrote:
Auto-X Fil wrote:
BTW, the Miata spindle has the tie-rod end located at the exact same height as the lower BJ, and 1.0" outboard. This gives ~100% Ackermann. It's also 4.25" forward of the lower BJ.

My bad. When you factor in the caster angle ( I used 9-10º) and the shorter stud on the tie-rod end, it's a full inch higher.

My measurements show the tie-rod end 0.20" higher than the LBJ, 0.45" outboard, and 4.5" forward. It bothers me we're measureing the same thing and coming up with very different numbers. Guess I need to recheck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27, 2008, 10:33 pm 

so I managed to get a hub bearing application book, and was looking to see what cars that are relatively light from the factory would have good bolt on hub bearings for locost app, and I noticed a trend, the lightest cars also have the least power/smallest cv axles. what would a reasonable cv axle size, or would the overall light weight of the locost cause there to not be enough veritcal loading (overall grip) to matter (tire spin before axle break.)??

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27, 2008, 10:42 pm 
Always Moore!

Unless you match a drivetrain from a lightweight car to a more powerful engine, you really aren't putting any more horsepower or torque through it than what it saw in the production car.

Plus the drivetrain only needs to lug around about 1/2 the weight of what it dealt with in the production car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2, 2008, 7:52 am 

What is the steering ball joint distance from the cL of the car? It would help if I had the X, Y and Z measurements of it.

Thanks,
Randy

Post subject: Mustang II Dimensions
PostPosted: June 23, 2008, 12:57 pm 

Any one have the circled dimensions for a Mustang II spindle. I am looking for any dimension that will show the disc brake wheel mount surface in relation to the stock Mustang II spindle. I have the spindles but no hubs/discs yet and need the info. Thanks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Grand Am spindles
PostPosted: October 11, 2008, 9:45 pm 

Here are some measurements I have taken off a Grand Am spindle. This is the Aluminium spindle from a 99 ( and later) 5th generation GA. I took these meassurements using a steel rule on a surface, so they may be subject to some error, but they are very close. The pivot point of the lower ball joint is aligned with the lower surface of the wishbone mounting plate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12, 2008, 1:16 pm 

raceral wrote:
Not a common spindle on this side of the world, but it does have some information relating to this thread. Over here I believe it can be found on the Merkur series cars form 1985 to 1989.
Al

It seems that the sketch showing the Ford Sierra upright dimensions is not that accurate. For example, the distance from the centre of the hub to the steering arm centre is NOT 110mm but 120mm. I have measured it in my actual upright as you can see at the following picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12, 2008, 1:17 pm 

I am referring to this sketch

PostPosted: October 23, 2008, 12:42 am 

I just got a bunch of parts in this week and I thought I would post this. I think these will become more common (and cheeper) over the next few years. This should be a common part on the 2004 & up RX8 and 2006 & up MX5. These are light weight and pretty strait-forward.The rears are a completley different story![/img]

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17, 2009, 8:08 pm 

This spindle comes from a 1990 Dodge Dakota 2wd pickup. It uses a 5x4.5" bolt pattern. That's a 12" rullerr shown for scale.

The bare spindle weighs 13 lbs including the steering arm.

Post subject: front spindle
PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 10:43 am 

so has anyone looked at or tried the spindles sold by 600racing,, ????

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next