LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22, 2009, 11:04 am 

They're certainly nice looking, how big are they?

PostPosted: February 13, 2009, 2:34 am 

anyone have the rears for a 91+ RX7? (im looking at getting a set from 94)

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: March 6, 2009, 10:53 pm 

I measured my spindle the best I could. It is from a 86 Toyota pu 2wd.

KPI 9 degree
overall height 7 17/32"
steering arm length 5 9/16"
axle center to bottom of lower ball joint flange 1 5/8"
axle center to top of upper ball joint flange 6"
axle center to bottom of upper ball joint flange 5"
axle center to top of lower ball joint flange 3/4"
axle center and steering center are inline
steering arm is 3/4" lower than the top of the lower ball joint flange
outer tie rod end mounts on top of steering arm putting the center of tie rod higher than lower ball joint

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 6, 2009, 11:02 pm 

almost forgot

upper ball joint to wms 5 31/32"
lower ball joint to wms 4 5/8"

spindle weight w/o hub 9lbs
spindle weight w hub 16lbs

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 12:17 am 

Im going to the junkyard tomorrow to try to find some front spindles.

So far I've got 2 choices for the 4x114.3 Celica bolt pattern I think?
-Toyota HiAce van
-Chevette spindle + Datsun B210 hubs, rotors, and seals

I dont know if the HiAce was imported. My dad worked Toyota parts for 17 years and he says they werent imported, they were just called "vans" Do we have the same thing here? What years am I looking for? Are the hubs and rotors and stuff the same as my Celica donor or do I need to grab the whole setup?

I had another question about the Chevette/Datsun stuff but I've been staring at the screen for 5 minutes and cant remember what it was.

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 8:10 pm 

Ok well I went to the junkyard today and found a couple vans that looked like they have what I want. One is missing the right upper ball joint and some brake stuff but I might be able to peice it together from the other vans there. I dont know what year it is but its not a previa its the older boxy kind. I'll try to get more info on it when I go back tommorrow or later in the week to pull the parts. I really hope this is what I want lol.

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 9:16 pm 

Toylocost;
I am using Previa or Hi-ace spindles. So is Dave W. at the first of this thread. I think I have a couple of pics. hope this helps some.
Joe GArrison

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 9:19 pm 

Toylocost;
Yeah, the Previa or Hi-ace are 4.5x4 same as the Celica rear that I am using.
Joe

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 9:32 pm 

jdgar0649 wrote:
Toylocost;
Yeah, the Previa or Hi-ace are 4.5x4 same as the Celica rear that I am using.
Joe

SICKNESS! THANK YOU!

I didn't know the Previa stuff was the same. I'll take a look when I go tomorrow I think there was a couple Previas there but I didn't look at them today. Gonna try to get a pair tommorrow.

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 10:19 pm 

Toylocost
I know the vans are different the boxy one is of course the Hi-Ace but I think the spindles are the same...George Cushing has a nice drawing on his website of a Hi-Ace, and it sure looks like my Previa.
http://www.georgecushing.net/CelicaDWG.html

I used ball joint and collars that I got from SW Speed. The screwing Ball Joints are Moog 722 and 727 (I think) I have the numbers marked somewhere...SWSpeed had a great price on them.
Joe

PostPosted: April 3, 2009, 10:54 pm 

Thanks. I remebered that drawing but couldn't find it when I wanted it the other day.

I will probably have more questions for you in the future.

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 11:43 am 

I used the HiAce "Toyota Van" spindles, and I'm very pleased with the results. Almost no machining except for the steering tie rod attachment. I think you will find that the steering arms tie rod position "the actual steering attachment point" is to low for most Locost builds, relative to acceptable bump steer geometry. I simply move the attachment point to the top of the steering arms. Reamed out the arm tapered hole and used a shoulder or stripper bolt and a high angle rod end for the steering. You could use the stock steering point if you want to compromise bump steer. Your Celica disc and caliper will slip directly on the spindle. I used a Previa lower ball joint from years 91-96 2wd Moog P/N K9825 which has just a two bolt pattern and is much lighter then the HiAce. For the upper ball joint I used a Ford F-350 yr 68-76 ES150R rod end that has 3/4-16 NF threads. Both fit without any machine work. Depending on the source of the rod end, the thread length varies up to almost and inch. Make sure you get the tie rod that has the threads for the full length. For Designing the suspension geometry use 280mm for center to center dim on the ball joints and an 11.3* KPI.
I started with 5* of caster with this spindle, but found that 5.75* was more to my liking.

Good luck on the spindles Dave W

PostPosted: April 4, 2009, 4:34 pm 

Wow thanks Dave that's some valuble info.

davew wrote:
Your Celica disc and caliper will slip directly on the spindle.

So this means I can grab JUST the spindle and be OK? If I can just use the Celica parts it would be better. I went down to pick-n-pull again today and found a third van with all the parts in one peice. I tried to get it but I couldnt get the steering off of the spindle. I will try to go back tommorrow with a puller or just a saw. Kinda annoying though cuz its an hour away and 2 dollars to get in. If I can get just the spindle it will be alot cheaper (that kinda makes me happy that I failed today lol).

EDIT: The Previas are all 5 lug. Makes the hub useless but the spindle is probably still similar.

PostPosted: April 5, 2009, 10:15 am 

If you get the spindles also get the caliper mounting bracket. I do not know if your Celica caliper bracket will bolt up to the HiAce spindle. The ones I bought had the brackets on them. You could take your old brackets to check out the fit up. I'm sure the Celica disc and bearings will fit on because that is what I'm using. As for the caliper, I bought Remanfacture ones at Auto Zone and they implied that it was the same as a Celica. But I did not ask which years Celica/Hiace are identical. The junk yard may have a cross reference book that could help. If I where to do it again I would look at after market calipers, because the Toyota's are fairly heavy and Remfd cost me almost the same amount, but they sure stop such a light car. If you already have calipers that work good then it is another $ question. Are you using a single master cylinder or two cylinders with balance bar?
The other thing, using the ball joints, that I suggested will save 4.5 lbs over stock BJs, plus you can remove the dust shield 2.5# and I also lighten both the disc, bracket, and the spindle for a total reduction of 11 lbs of unsprung wt per wheel end.
Dave W

PostPosted: April 6, 2009, 1:00 am 

Got my spindles. Didn't get the caliper bracket so we will find out if the Celica brakets fit lol.

Pictures in my build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4060&p=64043#p64043

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next