LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 6, 2012, 5:43 pm 

To the vast population out there that has used the Miata steering column, I'm curious if you installed the column in your car with the sliding plate that is attached with a twist tie. See attached picture if you're not sure what I'm talking about.

After doing some searching on the Miata forums, it seems like that plate is there to slow down the collapsing of the column until the airbag deploys. A lot of Miata guys that replace their steering wheel with an aftermarket non-airbag wheel generally talk about 2 things: 1) removing the tear away stitching in the seatbelt and 2) removing that plate. An added advantage of removal of the plate is that the steering wheel is raised a bit, giving more legroom.

Just curious what you guys thought of it, and if any hasn't used it since our cars don't have airbags. Not really sure it makes a huge difference in our application, but I have to embarassingly admit that I for the life of me cannot find that part in my garage (I should have never taken off the twist tie!!!), and am debating whether to just bolt it up without it, or buy a used column off of ebay for $50 just for that one part. :BH:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 6, 2012, 7:16 pm 

Karma has already answered your question...

PostPosted: March 6, 2012, 10:01 pm 

No, you don't need that part.