LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 9:00 pm 

For Jack,

Cheapracer introduced the BEX link in an earlier question I had in this forum about Woblinks. See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11470

PostPosted: June 8, 2012, 11:27 pm 

KB58 wrote:
The issue is due to not having all four links

Since you have made a definitive statement of what the problem is rather than an example of one type of problem that can occur, you leave me no choice but to respond with "bzzzzz, that is incorrect John, 5 points to Mary".

Maybe you were so excited to jump in you missed this bit;

Links and jig;
Links were 292mm in length as per book, initially 140mm vertical spread and all 4 jigged for accurate length ..

Hell, they were even tightened in the jig ...

Attachment:
jig.jpg

Also every measurement was done with calipers, not by ruler or tape to be able to respond in the positive for this type of query.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 9, 2012, 1:19 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Wow, just.... wow.

PostPosted: June 9, 2012, 11:32 am 

Above I mentioned;
As another proof of point, I currently have a mock up of another 4 link (DeDion) with 710mm long non-parallel trailing arms with vertical seperation of the pivots at 310mm front and 290mm rear - a full 20mm difference. With the trailing arms parallel I get serious bind within 100mm of travel but with the rear pivots 20mm closer ...

..here is a video of me running it through 10" of movement with 2 fingers and totally free movement. The Dedion is lateraly located - that should be clear actually as it obviously goes up and down on the same path. - to make matters worse the opposite side is even at full droop and yet ..

PostPosted: June 9, 2012, 1:22 pm 

Cheapy, just as a side question, what kind of tube ends are you using for the female threads in your trailing links? I made an error in my order from midwest controls and got the wrong ones, so while I wait for new ones I decided to start making the trailing arms using regular hex nuts fusion-welded to the ends of the tubes. I figured I could use these to make a "working, moving" rear suspension and then make new ones using the proper tube ends later on before the car is on the road, but then I ran some numbers and found that the nuts/threads should be just as strong as the tube itself (over 10k lb force yield with ATSM grade 1 nuts, and about 7400 lb with grade 0). I guess the questionable part is the weld, but maybe I'll make one and destructively test it with a load machine at work to see how it holds up...

PostPosted: June 10, 2012, 7:38 pm 

NoahKatz wrote:
The root problem is that four links overconstrain a solid axle in torsion.

On 2nd thought, that's too restrictive.

4 links may, but don't necessarily, overconstrain.

To first order, equal length parallel links wouldn't, which I guess brings me up to speed with everyone else at this point.

I'll butt out and mind my own business now, as this doesn't apply to my interest which is a reverse trike.

PostPosted: June 12, 2012, 10:29 pm 

Great illustration of "must be parallel". NOT. :)
Thanks for sharing.

I hope that wasn't blood on the floor in the picture of the link length jig. :shock:

PostPosted: July 30, 2012, 1:43 am 

I was sent copies of correspondence between a racer and Arthur Mallock dated 1986 and this bit is relevant to this thread but the first sentence also conveys my feelings about the bulk of live axle setups I have seen, ie: most people don't have a clue about the dynamics of a live rear axle.

For those who don't know the name, Mallock is a god of understanding live rear axle setups, suspensions in general and the development of Clubman racers.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 30, 2012, 7:05 am 
We are Slotus!

Wow! Cool posting. Sir Arthur's autograph and everything... The Mallock system was known as "TAM", which stood for "Trailing Arm Magic." He knew all the tricks, and made the most of live axle suspensions. Good stuff!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 30, 2012, 8:25 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Wow! Cool posting. Sir Arthur's autograph and everything... The Mallock system was known as "TAM", which stood for "Trailing Arm Magic." He knew all the tricks, and made the most of live axle suspensions. Good stuff!

Traitor.

PostPosted: July 30, 2012, 8:44 am 
We are Slotus!

cheapracer wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:

Traitor.

Who, Sir Arthur??? Me??? :?

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 30, 2012, 9:46 am 

I'm probably gonna end up with a live axle, so this is very very interesting to me (the liberal arts grad builder).

Would it benefit a builder to have 2-3 sets of holes, maybe 1/2 apart, on the top side of the axle bracket?

G'03

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: July 30, 2012, 11:50 am 
The voice of reason

Speaking carefully here, I would say more holes are better. Where the holes are affects how the thrust from acceleration/deceleration and the torque from the brakes are reacted. On Car9 trailing arms are a little over 30" long and multiple holes at the front of the trailing arm provide these adjustments. It seemed easier to put the multiple holes there and it works for both IRS and solid axles.

PostPosted: July 30, 2012, 12:44 pm 

cheap is right in my book, how much distortion is a case of how long X how far apart X width of the axle X the amount of travel.

however, if the diff hight and the chassis hight could be constant and the four link could be vertically simetrical about the axle, what was lost in droop on one side would be gained in compression on the other side.

this, in the real world does not happen which is why many production 4 link setups use parralell lower links and converging upper links to a center point as viewed from above.

if you are that concerned about bind, any use of a panhard bar is pointless as it is always in a bind because it is either pushing the axle one way or pulling the axle the other way, so to remove this bind a watts link system of some kind is needed, be it pivoted on the axle or the chassis.

in europe, many stock car racers have the axle tubes fully floating in the 4 bar brackets, alas, the axle does seem to "walk" independently backward and forward as the unequal rate of compression/droop is inflicted on the suspension as a whole but at least the torsion bar effect of the case is removed from the equasion.

this does however give rear steering inputs to the seemingly solid rear end.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: June 24, 2014, 6:24 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
a.moore wrote:
How sensitive was the location of the holes to binding? If you moved a hole lets say 1/16" would it be enough to cause or eliminate binding?

By holes do you mean the heim joint/bushing bolt holes? By 1/16 do you mean the distance an average home workshop might be off by? If the builder was that bad and say 4 to 6 of the 8 holes were out then yes, there would be a noticable difference either way but if the workmanship was that bad then I would be concerned about the entire car!

a.moore wrote:
Its probably worth noting that having the links non-parallel will also create some amount of anti-squat.

(From the standard mounting position) I doubt you would notice it. Anyway, you are refering to just dropping the rear upper hole whereas you could also split the difference or raise the lower hole.

. . . .

I'm shagging down (U.S. meaning) the effects of trailing arm inclination of 4-links with respect to other issues, but knowing about binding in those cases is critical too, so I was reviewing this thread. I'm looking at what kind of angles are significant enough to make a difference with respect to other factors such as torque roll, rear roll steer and anti/pro squat.

Doing the math on your example here, there are two differing cases to consider: 1) all changes in height done on one upper link (one wonders if the result would be the same using one lower too - I think it would); and 2) splitting the changes between upper and lower links.

In the first case you get sine Ɵ = (140-132)/292 = 8/292 = 0.0274 ==> Ɵ = 1.5701° = ~1.6°

For case 2), if you split the difference symmetrically, each angle has sine Ɵ = 4/292 = 0.0137 ==> Ɵ = 0.7849°, which is slightly less than half the 1.5701° figure.

These are very small angles. It's amazing that they have such an effect on binding. If you pick the convergence point of the links (in your case both behind the vehicle some distance) I can't see that you'll have any noticeable effect on anti/pro squat or lift. If you had compliant rubber bushings at one end of the links, I doubt you could measure the effects in terms of chassis behavior at all, although there would be very slight kinematic changes.

I'm trying to reconcile the degrees of inclination from Mallock and other sources (sometimes 5° or more) with respect to your binding solution at these small changes in inclination angles. Your angles are so small that I think this could be looked at as a "neutral" modification with a good benefit, namely greatly decreased or no binding with effectively zero changes to other steering effects of the 4-link as otherwise designed.

That sounds like "something for nothing", which we all know is never true, but I think the unknown "nothing" in this case is negligible compared to decreased binding and better range of motion. Implied in your experiment is that a change greater than 20mm for the standard 292mm link gets you back into trouble again. The angle in that instance (Case 1) is ~4° (3.9274 for fussy people) of inclination.

I'm going to keep working on this and see why more is recommended by some and why it appears to have been successful in other contexts. The Devil is in the details of these suspension configurations.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886