LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13, 2008, 12:35 am 

I think I'm following you. You could, but it does put some axial load on the balls, it puts some side load on the brackets, and you end up with a relatively complex control arm which will be (choose one or both) heavier and/or weaker than simple straight tubes. If you haven't mounted your brackets yet, there are alternatives to turning the tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13, 2008, 9:27 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

RandyBMC wrote:
Jack,

Can you just use a straight to mount the heim, then angle the bars coming from that to keep from having to use the slanted mounting points? If so, the arm length would just be measured differently - taking the distance from the heim mount to the ball joint.

Does that sound right to anyone? I want to use Jack's mounts and not have to modify my LA and LB after all the work to make it!

Thanks,
Randy

I don't understand exactly what you're saying, but I can say that I had "straight" (if you can call them that) LA and LB tubes, used Jack's two-piece bent brackets, and it really was no problem.

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13, 2008, 11:02 am 

Something like this:

If it isn't hard to use the two piece units, I can do that for the front, then use the standard bits for the FU tubes.

Thanks for the input!
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13, 2008, 3:18 pm 

RandyBMC wrote:
If it isn't hard to use the two piece units, I can do that for the front, then use the standard bits for the FU tubes.
Good plan! Go to http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... highlight= (tht's the Getting Started on a Build string here in Building from Scratch) and read everything dhempy wrote. Heck, I'm about ready to start replying to customer queries about Kinetic's suspension parts with "I dunno, ask Dave Hempy."

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13, 2008, 3:58 pm 
The voice of reason

Business is about out-sourcing these days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13, 2008, 10:11 pm 

While we're on the front end, I was wondering if anyone could give me some dimensions on the chevy s-10 spindles. I've looked everywhere and cannot find them, and don't yet have my own :cry: But I am working on a model of the McSorley 7+442 chassis with suspension, and need the pick up points for the upright. There was talk of a locost resource site being put together, so this would make a nice addition when it's done I think.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Blake on May 15, 2008, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15, 2008, 9:27 am 
Man of Constant Hazard

JackMcCornack wrote:
...read everything dhempy wrote. Heck, I'm about ready to start replying to customer queries about Kinetic's suspension parts with "I dunno, ask Dave Hempy."

Dude...if I'm the suspension expert around here, we're in BIG trouble! :shock:

-dave "hear that? that's the sound of civilization crumbling" hempy

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway

Post subject: Miata drawings
PostPosted: July 3, 2008, 11:09 pm 

I would be very interested to see specific drawings for a miata donor. I have a lot of experience with autocad if anyone needs a hand...Joel

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 8, 2008, 1:15 pm 

Blake wrote:
While we're on the front end, I was wondering if anyone could give me some dimensions on the chevy s-10 spindles. I've looked everywhere and cannot find them, and don't yet have my own :cry: But I am working on a model of the McSorley 7+442 chassis with suspension, and need the pick up points for the upright. There was talk of a locost resource site being put together, so this would make a nice addition when it's done I think.

I have some S10 info.... I think that its pretty good, but not 100% sure.

PM me your email address and i will send it too you.

Later
Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 10:57 am 

So has anyone ever posted their final suspension dimensions?

It would be great to have that as a starting point for everyone (myself included).

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 5:07 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

gtivr4 wrote:

It would be great to have that as a starting point for everyone (myself included).

I'll be happy to post my numbers, but understand I'm not on the road yet. Hopefully that will happen very soon, but even with that no telling how long it will take to tune it and evaluate it...that's new territory for me.

I'm pretty close to the wishbone I posted earlier in this thread, except for the rack location. It proved impossible for the rack to go where I spec'd it, due to tie rod/LCA interference.

I won't be back in the shop this week, but I'll measure and post my numbers next week. Please ding me in two weeks if I haven't come through yet.

-dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15, 2008, 8:00 pm 

dhempy wrote:
gtivr4 wrote:

I'll be happy to post my numbers, but understand I'm not on the road yet. Hopefully that will happen very soon, but even with that no telling how long it will take to tune it and evaluate it...that's new territory for me.

I'm pretty close to the wishbone I posted earlier in this thread, except for the rack location. It proved impossible for the rack to go where I spec'd it, due to tie rod/LCA interference.

I won't be back in the shop this week, but I'll measure and post my numbers next week. Please ding me in two weeks if I haven't come through yet.

-dave

That will be awesome dave, My current wall on my front suspension is figuring out where I want to put my pick up points. As was said earlier in the thread mcsorley did not include front suspension in the 442 drawings. So any info will be superbly helpful :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1, 2008, 6:25 pm 

dhempy wrote:

-dave

Here's a DING for you Dave :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11, 2008, 2:22 pm 

Ding again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11, 2008, 2:49 pm 

gtivr4 wrote:

BrianG701

Guys, buy Kurts Kimini book. Seriously. Suspension designs are constructed by choices you made with your build that are different (even if you use the same donor and chassis) from another build.

You just spent $60 on a torque wrench (or some other tool). Spend the ~$30 on Kimini, and you won't have to cut your suspension mounts off later.

Milo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next