LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:36 pm 

FYI~~~ I got the DOS based Wishbone suspension program to work w/little problem over two years ago! Used it to re-engineer my K1 Attack car for a different rack & pinion unit [Honda Prelude] from what my car's original design called for..... and the results have worked perfectly for me! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:38 pm 

I don't know if this is possible, but it may be helpful to have a setting that where you would not enter the explicit lengths of the control arms instead the program only uses your uprights and frame dimensions, and would therefore tell you what control arm lengths you need. It is somewhat frustrating if you're designing from scratch and you only know your track measurements,etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:55 pm 

freetors wrote:
I don't know if this is possible, but it may be helpful to have a setting that where you would not enter the explicit lengths of the control arms instead the program only uses your uprights and frame dimensions, and would therefore tell you what control arm lengths you need. It is somewhat frustrating if you're designing from scratch and you only know your track measurements,etc.

I agree, but Wishbone is what it is. The math is good but the input can be tough to get together. The Wishbone Input Generator was developed as a front-end to Wishbone to do the kind of thing you suggest. It is specifically for Wilwood Mustang II spindles and a Car9 frame type, but the frame type could be creatively adapted for other configurations. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13442&p=138964&hilit=wishbone+input+generator#p138964

There are also other suspension design programs that you may find helpful.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:04 pm 

seattletom wrote:
freetors wrote:

I agree, but Wishbone is what it is. The math is good but the input can be tough to get together. The Wishbone Input Generator was developed as a front-end to Wishbone to do the kind of thing you suggest. It is specifically for Wilwood Mustang II spindles and a Car9 frame type, but the frame type could be creatively adapted for other configurations. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13442&p=138964&hilit=wishbone+input+generator#p138964

There are also other suspension design programs that you may find helpful.

Oh crud. I actually wrote my post referring to the Vsusp program. I've never even used wishbone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:28 pm 

freetors wrote:
Oh crud. I actually wrote my post referring to the Vsusp program. I've never even used wishbone

Wishbone will give you the a-arm lengths, but first you need to give it the inboard and outboard pivot points (that's what the Windows Input Generator creates.) You can find a link to the Windows version of Wishbone and copy of the Wishbone definitions from the original DOS version earlier on this thread. See March 24, 2012 post for both.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:05 pm 

The Windows adaption of Wishbone is here - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11985

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:49 pm 

kf2qd wrote:
The Windows adaption of Wishbone is here - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11985
Peter, thanks for reposting this link. Wishbone is my go-to 3D suspension analyzer tool. And the price is right (free!)

I've been running Wishbone extensively for the past several weeks for both front and rear bump-steer analysis. Its been a huge help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9