LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which LSD Clutch pack
PostPosted: February 21, 2014, 8:45 am 

I was working on may car last night and noticed the LSD really didn't seem to have much grip/locking force. I looked up cost and it is only $5-$75 for new clutch packs so I feel definitely worth the investment and also a fun job.

I found the clutch packs on this site http://www.weirperformance.com/maxgriplsdkits.html Mine is the 1989 Supra with Clutch type 1.5way LSD They have 3 options #3 it drag so that is out. However #1 is street and track and #2 is Competition track. I have the S2000 engine so will be pushing 200-250WHP.

I think the track option would be better as teh car is primarily for autocross with the odd track day. My concern about the stiffer LSD is that it will cause under-steer due the wheels being too stiff. I know online racing GT5 & GT6 if you make the LSD too stiff the car does not turn too well around a corner especially under power.

Does anyone have any experience with LSD's that could offer some experience or feedback.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: February 21, 2014, 10:50 am 

Firstly how did you test the gripping power of your diff?

I have dealt with Weir Performance, very helpful folks. They helped me in the search for a 8 bolt Toyota LSD. I would phone then up and talk to them there will be more them happy to help with your selection.

Graham

PostPosted: February 21, 2014, 4:36 pm 

I tested the grip accidentally by loosening the axle bolt. When turning you can overpower the LSD and cause one wheel to rotate. When working on the axle, something happened and the LSD started to offer significantly less resistance.

I figure I need to open it up and take a look. Whilst I am in there I am going to change the clutch pack to freshen up the LSD as it is nearly 25 years old.

I also want to look at the final gear whilst I am in there as making the final gear taller is a future mod. Ideally I would like to be able to hit about 80MPH in 2nd gear at redline. Currently my Rx8 will hit 74mph in 2nd gear and I feel it gives me a huge advantage on fast autocross course as I don't need to shift to 3rd. I would like to replicate that in Scrap Metal (my Locost). Currently it will get slightly longer gears then the S2000 as the final gear is already slightly taller.

PostPosted: February 22, 2014, 3:54 am 

If your LSD is a 1.5way unit it will lock up under acceleration and unlock under deceleration.
While accidentally testing the LSD, it could have been that you where turning the unit in the deceleration direction thus unlocking the unit and only needing to over come the preload on the clutch pack.

PostPosted: February 24, 2014, 6:10 pm 

Mhm wrote:
If your LSD is a 1.5way unit it will lock up under acceleration and unlock under deceleration.
While accidentally testing the LSD, it could have been that you where turning the unit in the deceleration direction thus unlocking the unit and only needing to over come the preload on the clutch pack.

I was actually thinking the same thing, I may try to turn it in the opposite direction and see if it becomes still again which will make me a very happy chappy. I also read about that specific LSD that while it lacks performance then virtually never wear out.