LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 1, 2015, 3:50 pm 

If I increase the height of a spindle one inch will it alter the existing geometry of the spindle?I'm concerned angle between the upper and lower ball joint tapers will not be at the same angle as they are now.

PostPosted: February 1, 2015, 4:38 pm 
The voice of reason

This depends on the spindle. I would say mostly yes, but not the Miata front spindle for instance. When you look at the spindle you can or mostly should be able to tell if the tapers are in line with each other. On the Miata fron spindle the bottom ball joint is at a large angle so extending either one of the mounting points would change the geometry. The Ford Pinto spindles and the Triumph Spitfire ones can be extended and often are.

PostPosted: February 1, 2015, 4:49 pm 

This is for an 76 amc spindle.The mustang II spindle,with a lower balljoint taper ream to amc size, is a bolt on for a small body amc.This is a pretty popular swap for amc guys to get taller spindle,wide selection of brakes and rack and pinion steering.So given this info would the one inch height increase change the geometry?Thanks..

PostPosted: February 1, 2015, 6:03 pm 

Avery08 wrote:
This is for an 76 amc spindle.The mustang II spindle,with a lower balljoint taper ream to amc size, is a bolt on for a small body amc.This is a pretty popular swap for amc guys to get taller spindle,wide selection of brakes and rack and pinion steering.So given this info would the one inch height increase change the geometry? Thanks..
If the revised distance between the ball joints, the relative axle height and the kingpin angle are the same as the original amc upright, it shouldn't change the geometry much. I extended my Mustang II spindle height about an inch, but designed the suspension around those dimensions.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: February 2, 2015, 12:18 am 

I just remembered the amc road/track racers use a chevy truck upper ball joint because it is one inch taller then the stock amc ball joint.It increases the distance between the upper and lower control arms one inch.I've read and been told it's to improve stock camber.Given this information would increasing the height of my amc spindle one inch have the exact same result of running a taller ball joint.I'm not a suspension guy so forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject,thanks.