LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 26, 2024, 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 26, 2016, 7:36 pm 

jazz2561 wrote:
My reasoning is for rpm and to intentionally have a loss of torque so I can use used rear axles and transmissions (surprise!) The IRS im using can withstand up to 1000 lb/ft (maybe.) Plus, seeing how my brother is building is mustang with a 557 with twin turbos, I'm thinking about making this a series hybrid to kick his ass with. Though some discussions with some steam experts namely, Tom Kimmel, the more cylinders you have, the more mechanical losses you have. In the same token, however, to increase efficiency, some form of compounding or cutoff is needed. Besides the Doble's massive torque, one of the reasons why it was so powerful is because it was a double compound engine. I was going to use the specs of Howard Hughes' modified E series roadster, but that car is pushing 2200 lb/ft of torque. I will straight up destroy my IRS with that. So, compromises had to be made but through research, I came up with a great solution.

I can apply a 1000 ft-lb of torque with a good breaker bar and a length of pipe. If the breaker doesn't break but your IRS does, whoever mass produced it should throw themselves of a cliff.

https://gfycat.com/HoarseSociableAngora

T=r*F

@ 3200 rpms my VG30 engine produces 182lb ft of T at the crank. Now the trans is a torque multiplier. in 1st gear with a reduction ratio of 4:1 for simplicity your RPMS are divided by 4 but your torque is multiplied by 4. 182 * 4 = 728lb of torque at 800rpms at the trans output shaft. But wait! There's more reduction! At the Diff with a ratio of 4:1 your torque output will be 182*4= 2912 @ 200RPM. And there is still more! At the wheel with a 24" tire (T=r*F) T=12*2912 or 34944 lb-ft of T so if your IRS breaks before my maxima did please tell me the make and model so i can steer clear of it on the road.

If any one has an issue with this math, such as i missed something please feel free to correct me or message me the correction. I am rushing this to go back to welding my car up.

http://www.teamdavinci.com/understanding_gear_reduction.htm

But You seriously need to throw out some cold hard numbers (in equation form showing your work so we can give you credit) for anyone on this forum to continue to take this seriously. If you need help with finding or working equations to give you the hard numbers you need to design from this forum is great and more than willing to help.

There is no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered

My Build Log