LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 5, 2016, 11:02 am 

KB58 wrote:
If the primary goal is an auto-X car, I strongly suggest *starting* with the rule book rather than treating it as just another line item. Without doing so first it risks creating something that's doesn't take advantage of the rules and may get dumped in with the modifieds if it doesn't fit anywhere else.

I have been skimming through the rules, and after a few searches on Ar-i-el atoms I am not sure if I will be competitive no matter where I put it. The Ar-i-el At-om apparently runs in the B-Mod class, and even if I made it look exactly like it I'm not sure how they do electric cars. All they specify is what cc the motor can be and stuff like that.

PostPosted: July 25, 2016, 1:32 pm 

Quick update on this project. I have purchased a Fiero (nicknamed the S**tero) for $175 and have started stripping the front suspension off. I dont want to use the A-arms but I do want to use the spindles, brakes and steering bits. I am not starting to be concerned about the geometry on the new car. Should I just use the fiero geometry, or should I work out some more agressive new geometry?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 26, 2016, 10:09 pm 

Also, what size tire would be reasonable for this project? If it is making 500-800 hp right off the line I'd like to think that 275 wide would be a minimum, and I've heard 15" tires are the cheapest for rubber. Any input on this? I doubt I can find any cheap 5x100 15"x10" rims. I might have to change bolt patterns or something.... :?

PostPosted: July 27, 2016, 2:41 am 

joetemus wrote:
Do I need to change anything to do a pushrod style suspension?
The suspension geometry doesn't care where the coilovers are mounted, provided their selected/tuned accordingly for the motion ratio.

joetemus wrote:
Basically I'm asking for some examples of where to start since I have been told its best to design the chassis around the drive train and suspension. I am not asking for someone to design the suspension for me, just to help me get started.
http://www.sae.org/students/presentations/suspension_101_by_steve_lyman.pdf

joetemus wrote:
That's what I mean, they fabricate a arms and such, but use the geometry? Maybe I was just looking at the exception
Most convert the strut suspension typical to most FWD cars into an SLA (double wishbone/a-arm) suspension. I'd say the ones that keep the strut suspension are definitely the exception rather than the rule.

wrightcomputing wrote:
You could easily do it as a Lotus 7 or even a Jeep.
...Or a hotrod/T-Bucket. Also note that every exterior body panel on a Fiero is a removeable piece of plastic.

KB58 wrote:
If the primary goal is an auto-X car, I strongly suggest *starting* with the rule book rather than treating it as just another line item.
This if you're building an street legal autox car just to have fun with.

KB58 wrote:
If the primary goal is an auto-X car, I strongly suggest *starting* with the rule book rather than treating it as just another line item.
Again if you're building a dedicated autox car just to have fun with.

KB58 wrote:
And one more time for good measure if you're building a dedicated autox car that you want to also be at all competitive with. Personally, I would never be able to understand spending all that time and money building and developing something like this, if being as competitive as possible was not one of the primary design criteria.

joetemus wrote:
I have been skimming through the rules, and after a few searches on Ar-i-el atoms I am not sure if I will be competitive no matter where I put it.
A quick pass through the rules, and I'd agree that it looks like non production based EV's are relegated to either E-Mod or A-Mod. Although to the best of my understanding, an At*m type car without wings should ultimately be eligible for EM under the kit car provision, even if it still technically hasn't yet been submitted for approval. I'd say the two biggest limiting factors in being at least decently/reasonably competitive, is your imagination and your driving skill. Sure money is necessary and more of it can make things like more power, less weight, and more grip easier to accomplish, but huge sums of it are not absolutely necessary.

joetemus wrote:
Should I just use the fiero geometry, or should I work out some more agressive new geometry?
That might partially depend on what year Fiero that is, and how much time/effort you are willing/able to put into this build.. The 88's got much improved stock geometry, and reusing subframes (or at least the geometry) would definitely help expedite the build. But there is also the flip side to that as well. Earlier cars had a more compromised suspension and and developing your own specifically intended for autox should yield a superior result.

joetemus wrote:
I've heard 15" tires are the cheapest for rubber.
The softest compound slicks you can source, on 13's are what competitive cars run in A/E Mod. I believe the most popular sizes for competitors in these classes, are from the Formula Atlantic cars.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: July 27, 2016, 9:13 am 

Driven5 wrote:
And one more time for good measure if you're building a dedicated autox car that you want to also be at all competitive with. Personally, I would never be able to understand spending all that time and money building and developing something like this, if being as competitive as possible was not one of the primary design criteria.
I don't really care too much about the regulations, mostly because I am so busy during the summer that I wont be able to be competitive at more than a local level. All I really want to do is go fast, and if I am restricted by the regulations I would rather run open class and go strictly for lap time. I'll definitely read through the rules more thoroughly before starting the actual build. If I can run in the regulations without too much compromise I will definitely do that. I'll probably contact the scca as well.

Driven5 wrote:
A quick pass through the rules, and I'd agree that it looks like non production based EV's are relegated to either E-Mod or A-Mod. Although to the best of my understanding, an At*m type car without wings should ultimately be eligible for EM under the kit car provision, even if it still technically hasn't yet been submitted for approval. I'd say the two biggest limiting factors in being at least decently/reasonably competitive, is your imagination and your driving skill. Sure money is necessary and more of it can make things like more power, less weight, and more grip easier to accomplish, but huge sums of it are not absolutely necessary.
What if my design is starting to look less and less like an Ar-i-el At-om? I don't plan on having the big swooping bars anymore, and I plan on having a hoop over each seat for better motor cooling.

Driven5 wrote:
That might partially depend on what year Fiero that is, and how much time/effort you are willing/able to put into this build.. The 88's got much improved stock geometry, and reusing subframes (or at least the geometry) would definitely help expedite the build. But there is also the flip side to that as well. Earlier cars had a more compromised suspension and and developing your own specifically intended for autox should yield a superior result.
the car is an 86, so I will probably try to design my own and use the fiero as a backup solution.

Driven5 wrote:
The softest compound slicks you can source, on 13's are what competitive cars run in A/E Mod. I believe the most popular sizes for competitors in these classes, are from the Formula Atlantic cars.
I'm worried about 13's not fitting some brakes that I want to get. I doubt id have issues with the stock fiero rotors, so maybe I'll stick to those. would these tires and these wheels be enough? I'm worried 255s arent wide enough for 800 hp and 1200+ ft/lbs torque.

PostPosted: July 28, 2016, 10:30 pm 

I played around with Vsusp front suspensions for awhile and came up with this.

http://tinyurl.com/jrp9j2e

I have no idea if its even close, but the wheel size (what I was thinking would be ok) and spindles should be correct. no promises though as I took them off a fiero website. Could anyone give me some feedback on this?

PostPosted: July 28, 2016, 10:49 pm 

joetemus wrote:
I played around with Vsusp front suspensions for awhile and came up with this.

http://tinyurl.com/jrp9j2e

I have no idea if its even close, but the wheel size (what I was thinking would be ok) and spindles should be correct. no promises though as I took them off a fiero website. Could anyone give me some feedback on this?

Maybe it would be better to start out with a premade one such as this? SkinnyGLethal2.V01

found here http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13952

PostPosted: July 29, 2016, 1:26 am 

joetemus wrote:
What if my design is starting to look less and less like an Ar-i-el At-om? I don't plan on having the big swooping bars anymore, and I plan on having a hoop over each seat for better motor cooling.
Sounds like A-Mod to me, at which point you can pretty much let your imagination run wild...Including massive aero.

joetemus wrote:
I'm worried about 13's not fitting some brakes that I want to get. I doubt id have issues with the stock fiero rotors, so maybe I'll stick to those. would these tires and these wheels be enough? I'm worried 255s arent wide enough for 800 hp and 1200+ ft/lbs torque.
On a dedicated autox car, I would keep the brake package as small and light as possible. Honestly, I don't have the first hand experience with the tires vs power that you're looking at. As far as I'm aware though, all of the fastest autox cars run 'qualifying compound' bias road racing slicks.

joetemus wrote:
Just by using my highly calibrated (not at all) eyeballs, I think Skinny's spindle measurements look more accurate...However, since you've got a car now, you can just measure them to see what dimensions you get.

joetemus wrote:
Maybe it would be better to start out with a premade one such as this?
That's probably not a bad place to start, if you want to speed the design process up a bit.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: August 24, 2016, 8:02 pm 

Any critiques to this design? I haven't touched the rear so ignore that.

http://tinyurl.com/jqrogtu