LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 19, 2016, 1:46 am 

I am using triumph Spitfire/Gt6 front uprights. Would like to an adjustable upper ball joint. I have read where it is a tie rod end off an English van or? This adjustable ball joint was common on Formula cars and sports racers. Allows a camber adjustment. I think the thread was metric. Where does the adjustable upper ball joint come from, what vehicle? I know they are available in UK, but what about the USA?
Thank you for the time and information
Steve V.

PostPosted: August 20, 2016, 1:21 am 

The English van would be a Transit, but it doesn't fit. You have two choices, well three if you want to use a 5/8" rod end. The pricey way is to phone up Dave bean and order the lotus formula car ball joint which was something like $80 ten years ago. The less pricey is to get a Caterham ball joint which is the same as a fiat or Lada piece but it uses an M16x1 thread. Somewhere in my notes I have the fiat/Lada part number. If I can find it, I'll send it to you.

Rod

PostPosted: August 20, 2016, 3:40 pm 

ES 323R....65-82 CORVETTE
ES 379R...69-71 FORD LTD
Believe I used 323R ....had to use a spacer beneath spindle to get nut tight on tapered pin.
If you need aluminum hubs with 4x4-1/4 bolt pattern,try Spitbits....
Bill

PostPosted: August 25, 2016, 4:33 pm 

Fordo,
Either the Ford LTD or Mid year Corvette tie rod ends fit the Spitfire upright taper? You had to use a washer bellow? Not sure of the thread size. Since making arms, thread size does not matter yet. The regular Lotus/Caterham upper ball joint is a metric thread as I understand and more money than these. By the way, the numbers you listed are Moog. I will order one from a local parts house and check fit in an upright. Thank you, Steve V.