LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently December 8, 2019, 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 2:06 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
All the while being unable to articulate or demonstrate even rudimentary support for your position outside of you once drove a car with so many problems you considered it a danger to life as we know it.

I have articulated it as best I can, you just haven't understood it.

As I said very early in this thread, I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

That's your problem, not mine... I'm not going to expend infinite time and patience trying to explain things to people whose response is passive aggressive reactionary antagonism.

Best I can suggest is that you re-read what I've already written, carefully and with an open mind, then go away and think it through for yourself.

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 2:14 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
I am also curious how one determines that the Mitchel software rolls the car about a central point at ground level. I can imagine the car is displayed that way, but that's not the same thing. Is the ride height incorrect?

One asks Bill Mitchell. At least, one did when he was alive.

In fact, I think it was actually stated in the documentation on the version of the software that I purchased, which is why I raised the subject with him.

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 3:20 pm 

Darn it, I knew designing my suspension with Red bull, die, and ms paint was a bad idea. Gonna have to blow the car up now since its handling is too bad to drive. Next time I will opt for the $3k ( 2387.58GBP for the Brits on this thread) kinematics software.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 3:40 pm 

mjalaly wrote:
Darn it, I knew designing my suspension with Red bull, die, and ms paint was a bad idea.

That probably explains why Little 'Ole England dominates the motorsport business world-wide, whilst the only things you guys can get the hang of is running on a banked loop where you don't have to steer! :P

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 4:37 pm 

Wow, that's too complex for me. I'm used to just going straight for a quarter mile at a time.

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 4:56 pm 

Sam_68 wrote:
the front roll centre migration on the original design was 0.9mm (that's three and a half thousandths of an inch, to you guys - and you can be sure that that didn't happen by accident!).

0.9mm is actually 35 thousandths of an inch, but still pretty good.

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 5:10 pm 

Sam_68 wrote:
mjalaly wrote:
Darn it, I knew designing my suspension with Red bull, die, and ms paint was a bad idea.

That probably explains why Little 'Ole England dominates the motorsport business world-wide, whilst the only things you guys can get the hang of is running on a banked loop where you don't have to steer! :P

wait what?? I don't think that is correct what so ever when you use the word "motorsports" (time attack, drag racing, drifting, motorcross, etc). I have also never been on a banked track so i would have no clue how to design the suspension for that type of driving and I have a feeling you wouldn't ether. I also take the NASCAR thing as a compliment even though I am not a NASCAR fan. There is no way in hell I would have the skill to do what they do from a driving stand point nor do I think I could engineer those cars better than they can.

but i am not going to be dragged into more trolling.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 5:17 pm 

nick47 wrote:
Sam_68 wrote:
the front roll centre migration on the original design was 0.9mm (that's three and a half thousandths of an inch, to you guys - and you can be sure that that didn't happen by accident!).

0.9mm is actually 35 thousandths of an inch, but still pretty good.

get it together nick! Its .035433". You are making the rest of us who don't use mm look bad. I actually use mm everyday, 20 min ago on a conference call with the Niels Bohr Institute Center for Quantum Devices (name drop or something) but whatever I'm american.

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 5:33 pm 

mjalaly wrote:
get it together nick! Its .035433".

My apologies - it's late over here.

Now tell us to 6 decimal places how far your roll centre moves at maximum roll? You can use more than six digits to the left of the decimal point, if you need them. ;)

You can name drop all you like - if your mates at the Niels Bohr institute are as clever as your 'NASA engineer' friends who told you that your chassis had a stiffness of, what was it, 38,000 lb.ft/degree, then I'm not impressed! :lol:

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 5:51 pm 

Sam_68 wrote:
mjalaly wrote:
get it together nick! Its .035433".

My apologies - it's late over here.

Now tell us to 6 decimal places how far your roll centre moves at maximum roll? You can use more than six digits to the left of the decimal point, if you need them. ;)

You can name drop all you like - if your mates at the Niels Bohr institute are as clever as your 'NASA engineer' friends who told you that your chassis had a stiffness of, what was it, 38,000 lb.ft/degree, then I'm not impressed! :lol:

Honestly, I could name drop all day long but the point is that we work with people all over the world so most Americans especially on this site probably understand both measurements. Further, what I am really getting at is that I am just really tired of your nonsense american stereotypes. I am also quite fine with my roll centers and like i have said before, if you want to take your car up against mine to prove your lack of roll theory, i am more than happy too.

Personally, based on all the treads you have commented on, if it was up to me i would ban you from locostUSA. There is a perfectly good UK one with very nice guys who you wouldn't be able to american bash. Maybe you are an angry flunky from from one of those awesome F1 schools over there? I really I seriously do think England has awesome F1 schools.

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 10:39 pm 

Yeah, NASA guys are idiots compared with the guys at England's space program. The UK actually put a whole satellite into outer space once! All by themselves!

Man... Sam_68 is right, the English are better at everything.

PostPosted: December 8, 2016, 1:11 pm 

Omaha Vette Graveyard wrote:
Yeah, NASA guys are idiots compared with the guys at England's space program. The UK actually put a whole satellite into outer space once! All by themselves!

Man... Sam_68 is right, the English are better at everything.

Actually, the Russians are way better than either of us, when it comes to space... but NASA is symptomatic of the USA's problem with engineering in general: they've never figured out that bigger does NOT equal cleverer.

Throwing large amounts of money at things just gives you more expensive solutions. ;)

Sure, you guys managed to land on the moon half a dozen times. You even got to bring back some grey dust... before deciding that it was just too expensive to go back.

Meanwhile, remind me which country developed the engine that is used by every modern airliner and combat aircraft, and which other country supplies the engines the US currently relies upon to put anything anything into earth orbit?

Sorry guys, but you have to realise that NASA is a byword for profligate inefficiency, the world over.

PostPosted: December 8, 2016, 2:26 pm 
The voice of reason

Outside of Bobber's contribution, this thread is an embarrassment for this site. Can you guys please struggle your way to something resembling an educational discussion? Please...

PostPosted: December 8, 2016, 2:47 pm 

I was going to bring up roll in boats vs roll in cars as an extension to the good parts of this discussion. Yes, there are similarities! Canoes, row boats, outriggers. I'm off to look up roll equations for ships to find similarities. (Actually, it's all in the rate).

PostPosted: December 8, 2016, 2:49 pm 

Bobber wrote:
I was going to bring up roll in boats vs roll in cars as an extension to the good parts of this discussion. Yes, there are similarities! Canoes, row boats, outriggers. I'm off to look up roll equations for ships to find similarities. (Actually, it's all in the rate).

Always showing off.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next