LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering rack placement
PostPosted: March 2, 2017, 4:31 pm 

right now i have the steering rack inline with the steering arms and i was thinking of moving it back on the new design so that the arms are pointed forward (its rear steer). Any big issues with doing so? Moving it back will slow the steering correct?

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: March 2, 2017, 10:16 pm 

It is not an 'issue' per se but do not forget that changing the included angle between the rod ends and the steering arms will change Ackerman. So if Ackerman matters to you, be aware. See Staniforth, Fourth Ed., Chapter 4.

PostPosted: March 3, 2017, 12:30 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CB5ZMG4

$712!!!!!! Gasp! Fawk!

PostPosted: March 3, 2017, 12:34 pm 

I have a copy ; )

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: March 3, 2017, 12:35 pm 

Warren Nethercote wrote:
It is not an 'issue' per se but do not forget that changing the included angle between the rod ends and the steering arms will change Ackerman. So if Ackerman matters to you, be aware. See Staniforth, Fourth Ed., Chapter 4.

correct but i am trying to speed up and slow down the steering.

PostPosted: March 3, 2017, 9:01 pm 

I just moved my rack from being in about 6" back to being directly inline. I do not think it will change the steering speed at all certainly not a noticeable amount maybe. To change the steering speed you need to change the length of the steering arm on you uprights. You can also add a reducer such as 2:1 or 1.5:1 they connect inline with the steering column and cost about $100.

One issue which I had having the steering rack backwards was the arms would pull and cause the round shaft inside the rack to twist. This became worse when I added shims to remove bump steer as it gave the wheels more leverage. Going over a bump would induce toe out due to the twisting of the rack.

I have not driven it with the new rack placement but will be racing tomorrow so I will let you know.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: March 4, 2017, 5:19 pm 

This is the practice course from one year ago with the rack 8" back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOU57AKmDjw
The same course today, with the steering rack more or less inline. https://youtu.be/7gM-Q25zThU I had understeer at he beginning and oversteer at the end. I was running old race tires on the front and great street tires on the rear.

I wouldn't pay any attention to times but you may be able to see the different steering angles to wheel movement. I think it may slightly quicker at the back, however I would either go with a reducer or if a shorter steering arm on the upright is a possibility.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: March 4, 2017, 5:57 pm 

mjalaly wrote:
. . .

Just out of curiosity, do you know what your current steering ration is, e.g., 15:1 or some other ratio? I'll have some options when I select the rack for my build, and I'm interested in which ratios actually are practical for folks. It would seem you think your current ration is too fast (quick).

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 12:36 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
mjalaly wrote:
. . .

Just out of curiosity, do you know what your current steering ration is, e.g., 15:1 or some other ratio? I'll have some options when I select the rack for my build, and I'm interested in which ratios actually are practical for folks. It would seem you think your current ration is too fast (quick).

Cheers,

This is my rack (and the steering arms are really short) but its different than what i am using on this other car.
TRAVEL: 4"
TURNS LOCK-LOCK: 2.66 (1.5"/TURN)

the new rack is an MK1 I believe. I don't think mine is too fast at all.... the owner I am designing the new rack for does. I told him it was a moot point since the uprights and rack are completely different.