LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 31, 2017, 1:56 pm 

Hi all. I'm building a 442E with a sbc and a camaro solid rear axle. I'm beginning my work on the rear suspension and thinking of going with a parallel 4 link with a panhard bar. My question is what do I need to get for trailing arms? I was thinking 1" swaged tube with 3/4" rod ends. Is this strong enough?
Any help is very much appreciated. :chev:

PostPosted: August 31, 2017, 2:15 pm 

5/8 heims are used with 1" tubes normally on a sprint car chassis

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Swedged-6061-Aluminum-Radius-Rod-for-5-8-Inch-Heim,53184.html

PostPosted: September 8, 2017, 12:13 pm 

Thank you for the reply! I do feel pretty good knowing that it works on such a demanding application. I think I'll go with the 5/8 rod ends and 1" tubing or even 7/8" would probably work fine for my application.

PostPosted: September 8, 2017, 7:34 pm 

I stuffed a C4 Corvette rear under mine, and I'm using 1"od x .156" wall tubes w/ 3/4" teflon lined rod ends, 5/8" hole. BTW, what motor / trans are you going to use?

PostPosted: September 9, 2017, 2:12 pm 

Dismantalus wrote:
I stuffed a C4 Corvette rear under mine, and I'm using 1"od x .156" wall tubes w/ 3/4" teflon lined rod ends, 5/8" hole. BTW, what motor / trans are you going to use?

Dismantalus, the C4 rear axle looks cool in your build. One of the few sbc builds I've been able to find at least recently. Love the way its coming together. I'm using a carbureted small block 350 Chevy mated to a T5 trans originally out of a firebird. I'm a bit of a Chevy guy so I'm using what I have around the shop. I hate to see a recently rebuilt V8 just sitting around.

PostPosted: September 10, 2017, 5:50 pm 

I was in the same boat. I wanted to use an ecoboost 2.0 liter, but I had this freshly rebuilt 5.7 on the stand from another project, and the Borg-Warner Super T-10 from my old '72 'Vette (it was swapped for the original Muncie M-20 when it died.). What's the old saying, "Run what you brung"! You should have an easier time with the transmission tunnel than I am having with the T-5.

PostPosted: September 10, 2017, 5:53 pm 

As for the trailing arms, do a search on either trailing arms or four links. There have been many, many discussions on this subject on this forum.