LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 24, 2017, 3:25 pm 

Hey guys,

Let's have a discussion, first let's leave out the engine and transmission debate. Let's just focus this discussion on the Suspension, Brakes, Steering, wheels, and tires, and why you would choose one over the other. Given the choice what underpinnings would you choose to build your Locost 7 on?

I'm sure both have Pro's and Con's...but what are they when building a Locost 7. I'd love to know your thoughts.

Miata
Pro's:
Cost, Availablity, Cad models, a proven track record to follow (many people have built locost 7 with Miata underpinnings).

Con's:
Age, older design, diff housing weakness? diff housing shape and design

S2000
Pro's:
Newer design (maybe superior?) Larger and more beefer design, better materials used? (guessing here) better designed rear diff.

Con's:
More expensive, No Cad Models, fewer people using them, requires 16" rims, more expensive replacement parts

I'm not sure what is a better starting point honestly, and weight would be nice to know too. Which do you think weights less and would be a better underpinning for a Locost?

PostPosted: October 25, 2017, 4:41 pm 

Too many pros for the Miata to consider going with an S2K, unless you already have one.

PostPosted: October 25, 2017, 6:07 pm 

Agree with Nick. The upside of using Honda doesn't outway the cost factor.

I'm using Miata pieces mainly because they came in a package deal. Didn't have a decent donor and the choices for uprights was limited. In the rear I am using the control arms, axles, brakes, and uprights but for the diff I got a killer deal on a Celica GTS pumpkin. Had adaptors made to mate it with the Mazda axles but still way ahead.

So unless someone gives you S2000 pieces I would stick with the Miata. Unless you score a good donor.

Cheers

PostPosted: October 25, 2017, 6:24 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I happen to have a complete S2000 suspension/subframes etc. sitting on my floor plus I have had the Miata set up sitting right beside it to compare. I can take pictures if you'd like.

The S2000 set up is more sophisticated and adjustable than the Miata, but the Miata one weighs less.

The only bad thing about the S2000 suspension is the rear toe link, but the solution is to move the attachment point either to lower rear arm or to put an attachment point on the frame that replicates the lower arm pivot point instead of using stock geometry. This only is a factor when the suspension is lowered too much.

There seem to be just as many aftermarket options for bushings, sways, etc. for both.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 25, 2017, 8:47 pm 

Thank you for the replies. I thought the S2000 would have more add vantages that I didn't consider.

How much lighter is the Miata parts compared to the S2000? Is it a few pounds or substantially more like 100lbs?

PostPosted: October 25, 2017, 10:30 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Once you lose the electric power steering it's not that much heavier. I'd say front & rear combined closer to 50#. But we never weighed them, just moved them around a lot. :lol:

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.