LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 26, 2018, 2:24 am 

Hi Guys,

I am the point in my build where I am making my suspension brackets and control arms. But it seems I have a lot of choices.

The book and Vodou plans are all in metric. But I live in the USA. Because of this, I cannot get metric steel so easily. So this means I have to make a variation of the control arms and brackets? If this is the case, can I get peoples input on what they did for it?

Bushing/bushing tube/control arm tube(both rear and front) diameters and thickness?

PostPosted: April 28, 2018, 8:25 am 
We are Slotus!

I bought my front control arms from Speedway. The lower ones are made from 1-inch X .120 wall tubing. When I built the rear control arms, I used (wait for it...) 1-inch X .120 wall tubing. They make 0.75 inch threaded end plugs that weld up nicely to the tubing for the heims to screw into.

For chassis mounts, if you're using heim joints on the inner ends of the control arms, check these out: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Weld-On-Lower-Mount-for-Bearing-End-Shocks,3530.html
That's one style/size, they make several and I'm sure other vendors have similar products.

For the bushing mounts* on the rear uprights, I made my own pieces* out of 3-inch X 1/8 flat steel.

*And don't say brackets! OH NO! I SAID THAT WORD!!!
Attachment:
Boom.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom