LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 4, 2018, 6:55 am 

Driven5 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have posted this ChassisCalcsPublic spreadsheet as an attachment before, but for the life of me can't find the thread it's in. So I'll just post it here again too. I did not create it, but have referenced others to it a few times over the years. It should be a good way to roughly get into the right ballpark. The general claim is that the Lateral Load Transfer Distribution (LLTD) should be biased ~5% more to the front than the weight distribution, for a slight inherent understeer. Of course, this notion operates under a number of general (all else equal) assumptions, not the least of which would be the tire width stagger should also roughly match the weight distribution. So if you're running the same size tires all around with a front weight bias, you'll already have inherent understeer from that as well.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Been meaning to measure the control arms and sway ars and others things to try these clacs. Its AWD so im pretty stuck on same size all around. For now its 245/40/18 since thats what i had on Forester. In the future though i may go to a 265 on 17" wheels.

PostPosted: June 4, 2018, 9:28 am 

You're stuck with roughly the same diameter all around, but not necessarily the same with.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

Last edited by Driven5 on June 4, 2018, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 4, 2018, 1:13 pm 

doesnt leave me much for tire rotation options

PostPosted: June 4, 2018, 2:16 pm 

True. Staying square on the tires just means that you would have some unknown (by our capabilities) amount more understeer than the spreadsheet would otherwise indicate, which in and of itself isn't all that big of a deal since this is more of a rough-cut tool anyway. The drawback being that more understeer means more likelihood of a rear bar being more valuable, which is also something you're trying to avoid. Isn't choosing between compromises fun?

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 4, 2018, 3:48 pm 

its not so much that im trying to avoid a rear bar, its just that fitting the exhaust i want is much more doable without it. and really the only reason it woulndt fit is because it has one hump where i need two. A newer model Impreza bar might fit with the exhaust i want.