LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 15, 2023, 10:56 am 

I'm having a bit of a conundrum. I'm going to be using 2" mustang II drop spindles from wilwood on my locost and MN-12 Thunderbird rear spindles and have the option of a few calipers I can run on the rear. Those calipers are the stock thunderbird calipers, SN95/New Edge mustang Calipers or C4 corvette calipers.

Pad #s
Front
7112 for dynalite 4 pistons

Rear
D708 - Thunderbird
D627 - Cobra, Mustang GT
D213, D295, D413 - C4 Corvette

Problem is I can't find anyone that makes calipers for both the wilwood fronts, and for the rears. Does anyone know of any company that makes pads to fit wilwood calipers aside from wilwood?

Otherwise, how much of an issue would it be if I mixed and matched pad material (co-efficient of friction being different) between the front and rear?

EDIT: Found out that Hawk makes pads for a LOT of wilwood applications. They pretty much make their whole range for the corvette C4 pads as well. Looks like I'll be using C4 rear calipers.

PostPosted: October 18, 2023, 10:53 am 

It's pretty common to run different pad materials front/rear in track applications. I would be far more concerned with understanding the different piston sizes/area of those different calipers. There are a number of calculators you can find online to make sure your basic system is proportioned the way you need. I suggest you start there as the major adjustment, and then worry about the pads as a minor adjustment.

PostPosted: October 18, 2023, 6:30 pm 

Additionally pads are normally selected by operating temperature. A race car, for example, would run pads that are optimized for higher temps than a street car. This typically means they don’t work well when cold, and so on. If your hardware is well balanced front to rear I’d recommend sourcing pads that work in similar temp ranges front and rear.

PostPosted: October 24, 2023, 10:22 pm 

BB69 wrote:
It's pretty common to run different pad materials front/rear in track applications. I would be far more concerned with understanding the different piston sizes/area of those different calipers. There are a number of calculators you can find online to make sure your basic system is proportioned the way you need. I suggest you start there as the major adjustment, and then worry about the pads as a minor adjustment.

Yup, pretty much already figured out all that as far as piston size vs fixed or floating calipers and brake master cylinder sizing along with braking split difference. Just been trying to figure out the last few things mostly.