LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 9, 2023, 3:13 pm 

as I get closer to suspension fabrication, I need to look at the calipers and pads. I got some 1.8 non sport fronts with the knuckles I purchased but need to get rear calipers at the least. I know I can acheive ballance through bias adjustment but also that normal miata brakes a heavily front bias in capability.

I am considering getting rear sports brake calipers to up the capability at that end into balance that I can fine tune. In my miata's I usually did different pad compounds front and rear to address it a little. I don't think I necessarily need front sports brakes on such a light car. Down the road I can always move up to willwood if I need. I also imagine that pad choice on a light Seven will have differant considerations. I had success with Hawk HPS pads on my street cars. I am pretty sure the brakes will have a lower operating temp than a heavier car, necessitating a pad that operates at lower temps?

PostPosted: December 9, 2023, 7:13 pm 

I wasn't able to run the stock rear calipers due to E-brake interference with the frame. It wasn't even close to fitting. Then again, my frame is a bit different. Just giving a heads up that it may be an issue for you as well. I ended up going with Wilwood calipers in part because the E-brake is much more compact. Admittedly it's not a terribly impressive parking brake. It does the job, but that's about it.

PostPosted: December 14, 2023, 2:20 pm 

should not be too much of an issue for me. Seemed like a more balanced setup to me, but I could achieve balance in several ways.