LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 18, 2009, 4:07 pm 

I see that Killer_Siller is working with the first generatin MR2 and I read the discussion on shortening shocks. I have the heavier later version sitting in the carport, what parts should I keep as I'm parting it out? If I end up building from frame up it would be a shame to sell Toyota parts and buy Miata parts.
Power steering rack, brake bias, suspension (has rear disc), wheels are 16x6 and 17"x 8, wiper motor and ?????
Want that spot cleared out for what comes next, and the more I sell off the MR2 the uglier it gets.

If I use a WRX differential can I get new half shafts made reasonably?
thanks Ingmar

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 1:24 am 

hey, i'm glad to see that my idea made sense to someone else!

what are you planning on doing drivetrain-wise?

you can use the font spindles if you are so inclined, they will have to be reversed, as the MR2 is rear-steer and we want front-steer. for this same reason you will either have to turn your rack over (making the car RHD), find a RHD rack and turn THAT over, or run a front-steer rack. i'm going to be going with miata rack, as they are gun-drilled, facilitating shortenning.

i'd pull the steering column, the e-brake assembly, the pedals, and the support beam that the steering column mounts to. rip out all the wiring, you can use it as wire-stock and not have to buy wire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 1:50 am 

So rear steer doesn't give enought room?
Driveline ideas keep evolving but thinking S2000 if I can work costs out. I have a 89 V6 Camry 1Vj? sitting here also but understand it's heavy and not greatly supported.
I've looked at Hayabusa, Lexus IS300, and my Tundra's V8. If i build rather than buy it will be a track car till 2010. S2000 is well supported and plenty of power to start.
What the latest on your build?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 9:54 am 

rear steer will definitely interfere with most of those options. i think a busa engine would work with rear-steer, or a rotary. if i didn't have the makings of a 200HP 4A-GE sitting in pieces i wouldn't hesitate to do s2000.

my build is still floating around in my head while parts are sitting in storage somewhere in chicagoland. i'm away on an extended international business trip for quite a while, so i won't be starting the 'hard' labor any time soon.

i'm currently working out what's necessary to do the subaru differential thing. i'm hoping to find more information on OEM axles. maybe i'll be able to work something out where outer CVs from car A mated to axle shafts from car B will work with subaru inner CVs making it cheap. i'm doubting it honestly, but custom axles are $800 for the pair. ouch. at least at that point they'll be lightened, the correct length, and EXACTLY what i want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19, 2009, 4:15 pm 

see picture, my steering is ahead of the axle on a 91. Would have to change front spring/strut. Have a lot of off road shops in my area and I'll enquire about axle adapting. Maybe I just stretch this car layout and trade out for a manual steering box?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.