LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 10:29 am 

Thanks for the link to picture of your light shell, I will consider a lift up back. What do you use to keep it up ? Any idea of completed weight. That would give me over six feet under the open back door. Caught me at the right time which is part of the reason I posted now to get other owners idea's how to finish.

Plan on covering front, back door, roof top center seam, with 6mm ply for reinforcement. Also think it wise for 2 ft. tall inside side cover for first 8 ft. so I don't push out while getting past car to tie up front. I was considering just building front chocks to block wheels and not have to go to front OR use a cable from front of car to front of trailer then continuing to back of trailer to tie off.

I'm $ 1200 for trailer, $ 240 for steel, $ 320 for aluminum, $ 20 for paint, sealed rivets x 400 I will check price, bought pneumatic rivet gun, need hinges, latches, 6 sheets 6mm ply, likely recover floor to seal with 3/8 ply plus roof paper under.

The front is just supported with temp braces, picking up curved pieces today.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 11:47 am 

Back door has a heavy duty SS piano hinge, 1/4 turn latches, and gas struts all from McMaster-Carr. The door and trailer upper frame is 3/4" 16ga tubing and skinned over with .040 alum. The door weighs about 75lbs but at that angle I had to use about 300lbs of gas struts. All I have to do is unlatch the door and give it a slight tug and it opens all by it self. Pretty slick!!! I have two HF wheel chalks up front to stop my front tires and then I tie her down front and back. Trailer has gone from KC to Wisconsin twice, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Colorado, and all over Missouri without any problems. Russ