LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently September 25, 2017, 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: January 5, 2017, 12:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: January 5, 2017, 11:36 am
Posts: 51
So I've been hooked on the idea of skinning a locost-esc (midlana) frame with a body/outer sheet metal from a production car (a Nissan nx2000).

The other benefits I see being areo, registration, the fact that there could be a roof and just the Nissan fanboy/middle (aged man) geek factor.

I ve spent the last few years assembling tools and the wife took the kids and walked out of the marriage... Still have the derelict rusting, somewhat hopped up pre marrage Nx in the garage...(getting into the stuff with her lawyer soon not 100% sure where it will end up) Kinda feel bad about cutting into the old project car but I think the end result might be more fun.

I am thinking about ditching the remaining glass for lexan and making the front and rear sections each their own smaller, lower, all one piece sections. Doors morphed into permanent side panels and so on just leaving a loose resemblance to the original. But doing all this after the frame is built... I think

Is this far fetched , should I just stick with a simpler design for doablity/sanity?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 5, 2017, 7:36 pm 
Offline
Toyotaphobe
User avatar

Joined: April 5, 2008, 2:25 am
Posts: 4461
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
jere wrote:
Is this far fetched , should I just stick with a simpler design for doablity/sanity?



SANITY? HERE?

_________________
mobilito ergo sum
I drive therefore I am

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 5, 2017, 9:23 pm 
Offline
Mid-Engined Maniac

Joined: April 23, 2006, 8:26 pm
Posts: 5715
Location: SoCal
It may be better to start with an ex-GT5 race car. That would give you the tube frame and body, then modify to your heart's content.

_________________
Midlana book: Build this mid-engine Locost!, http://www.midlana.com/
Kimini book: Designing mid-engine cars using FWD drivetrains, http://www.kimini.com/book_info/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 6, 2017, 1:31 am 
Offline

Joined: January 5, 2017, 11:36 am
Posts: 51
carguy123 wrote:
jere wrote:
Is this far fetched , should I just stick with a simpler design for doablity/sanity?



SANITY? HERE?


Yeah I had a feeling that wording might be called into question :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 6, 2017, 1:51 am 
Offline

Joined: January 5, 2017, 11:36 am
Posts: 51
KB58 wrote:
It may be better to start with an ex-GT5 race car. That would give you the tube frame and body, then modify to your heart's content.


Yeah starting with an existing frame sounds considerably more sound an idea... Especially coming from the designer of the frame I was planning on using... :|

But tube frame and gt anything sounds way out of my price range too. Should've mentioned that too I guess too. Going for inexpensive as possible and diy as much as is required.... I think. I'm a more time than money type.

On the tube frame cars I've seen naked, it doesn't seem to me there is much more than an odd tube here and there to support the panels. Like the bumper cover support in the photo below

Image

What are the biggest set backs that I have set myself up for so far that you see Kurt?


Last edited by jere on January 6, 2017, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 6, 2017, 2:16 am 
Offline

Joined: January 5, 2017, 11:36 am
Posts: 51
Oh also forgot, I have another potential donor an ion redline with the super charged lsj ecotec.

There absolutely no attachment to it other than that it holds a good amount of groceries. Cable shifter instead of rod based, and it has some good donor seats... Downsides are that it is obdii and has two computers that hate mods, and it currently has way less power than the nissan (the Saturn is in the neighborhood of 210 HP the nissan is closer to 300), and no form of lsd at all


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 6, 2017, 11:34 am 
Offline
Mid-Engined Maniac

Joined: April 23, 2006, 8:26 pm
Posts: 5715
Location: SoCal
jere wrote:
KB58 wrote:
It may be better to start with an ex-GT5 race car. That would give you the tube frame and body, then modify to your heart's content.


Yeah starting with an existing frame sounds considerably more sound an idea... Especially coming from the designer of the frame I was planning on using... :|

But tube frame and gt anything sounds way out of my price range too. Should've mentioned that too I guess too. Going for inexpensive as possible and diy as much as is required.... I think. I'm a more time than money type.

On the tube frame cars I've seen naked, it doesn't seem to me there is much more than an odd tube here and there to support the panels. Like the bumper cover support in the photo below

[imghttp://www.carbuildindex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/403.jpg][/img]

What are the biggest set backs that I have set myself up for so far that you see Kurt?


Well, of course I'd like you to build a Midlana, but what you're looking to do, it seems easier to start from the "other end" of the design, where someone's already done the heavy lifting. About cost, find one without a drivetrain; I've seen such cars for well under $5k.

_________________
Midlana book: Build this mid-engine Locost!, http://www.midlana.com/
Kimini book: Designing mid-engine cars using FWD drivetrains, http://www.kimini.com/book_info/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 6, 2017, 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: January 5, 2017, 11:36 am
Posts: 51
KB58 wrote:

Well, of course I'd like you to build a Midlana....[snip]


Good that's all the validation I need, its settled then! 8) :P

....I will have to keep an eye for deals like that as a fall back :o

I still have to clear out the garage and make a build table and wood frame mock up. Maybe reality will help with my decision process after that.

Great books btw, I ve really gotten a lot of good direction out of them.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 11, 2017, 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: January 5, 2017, 11:36 am
Posts: 51
http://www.jegs.com/p/Alston-Race-Cars/Alston-Pro-Gas-Chassis/2392931/10002/-1

So stumbled across these Alston tube chassis... Anyone have any thoughts? How do these stack up to the raw costs of diy locosts


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: January 26, 2017, 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: January 5, 2017, 11:36 am
Posts: 51
Drove past this in the cab the other day... And started thinking about how it would look/fit as alternative skin donor :D

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
POWERED_BY