LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 19, 2024, 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 9, 2010, 11:13 am 

Did someone say two stroke?

PostPosted: November 9, 2010, 8:36 pm 

Laminar wrote:

doncha' love the instant byebye factor?

PostPosted: November 10, 2010, 1:19 am 
Toyotaphobe

Laminar wrote:

Kawasaki trip 500?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 10, 2010, 9:58 am 

Yep. That pic was two days ago. Hoping to get it running today.

PostPosted: November 10, 2010, 10:31 am 
Toyotaphobe

I loved mine! Very fast for the day.

I eventually put a side car on it with quick release catches and we even went on a 1,000+ mile trip. My wife and daughter in the side car.

I took all the painted bits off and repainted it one winter in the living room of my apartment with lacquer rattle cans. Turned out very nice. Well that is until I spilled gasoline in the carpet. (I didn't drain the gas tank while I was painting it - didn't want to waste that $1 worth of gas in there)

Did you know the fire department has to come out with full trucks and equipment when you call in to ask about how to get gasoline out of the carpet?

They also recommend cutting a large section of carpet and pad out leaving you with a concrete square in the middle of your room.

But it all has a happy ending because tenant rights group and state law says bare concrete floors in a dwelling are unsanitary and they make the apartment complex replace your carpet and they aren't allowed to penalize you for reporting the landlord.

Ahhh to be young and stupid again. I've still got the stupid part down pat but I no longer have the excuse of being young.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: November 10, 2010, 11:13 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
My wife and daughter in the side car.

Is this the producer/director daughter? Seems there's a show in here somewhere - life is stranger then fiction... :)

Youth is wasted on the young when you have a set of characters like this board around!

PostPosted: November 10, 2010, 4:31 pm 
Toyotaphobe

No, it was her older sister. I'm not sure she really knows all the stories there since it was before her time. Maybe we'll have to bring her up to speed this weekend when they are all over at the house to celebrate some birthdays.

When I look back over the things we've done and the places we've gone it is so much more than even I could have dreamed when I was a kid or in High School. Unfortunately it makes me feel like the Grasshopper in Aesops fable about the Grasshopper and the Ants, but we have had a very varied, fun & wild ride - with no sign of slowing down. If you stop, you die. This means we're gonna live forever.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: November 10, 2010, 4:34 pm 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
When I look back over the things we've done and the places we've gone it is so much more than even I could have dreamed when I was a kid or in High School. Unfortunately it makes me feel like the Grasshopper in Aesops fable about the Grasshopper and the Ants, but we have had a very varied, fun & wild ride - with no sign of slowing down. If you stop, you die. This means we're gonna live forever.

Cool, I'm gonna need to live forever, because I can't afford to retire, and besides, my car ain't finished yet!

I do know that "Grasshopper" feeling though... Oh well, been a helluva ride! Or, as Jerry Garcia would say, "What a Longggggg Strange Trip It's Been"!!!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 11, 2010, 1:33 pm 

Quote:
It has been well proven that as the displacement goes up the power advantage of a 2 stroke falls eventually behind a 4 stroke, around a 300cc cylinder is about where they equalize but then the 4 stroke will carry a smaller weight of fuel and be packaged easier due to the lack of expansion chamber. After 300cc, eventually the 2 stroke can't touch the 4 stroke. However the small stuff rocks, an 80cc common kids MX bike puts out more hp per litre than an F1 race car.

I can see where this is coming from, but it really isn't true in the real world where reliability is an issue. Case in point: The terrible reliability, service life, and maintenance costs of the modern big-bore 4stroke motocrosser versus the stone-axe properties of the old 500cc two-strokes with nearly the same power output.

Expansion chambers are a bit of a problem, but I think they would look cool on a sevenesque car.

Good read on direct injection 2-strokes:
http://www.snowgoer.com/output.cfm?id=1836523

PostPosted: November 20, 2010, 4:40 am 

squarefour wrote:

The terrible reliability, service life, and maintenance costs of the modern big-bore 4stroke motocrosser versus the stone-axe properties of the old 500cc two-strokes with nearly the same power output.

Expansion chambers are a bit of a problem, but I think they would look cool on a sevenesque car.

Oh yeah, I have no idea why I haven't made a fun car with 4 x CR500 engines yet! :mrgreen:

My last dirt bike was a Yammy IT490, grunt city but I was faster in the bush on the IT200 I had some years before it but very busy keeping it working, the 490 was much easier and more fun.

PostPosted: November 20, 2010, 4:52 am 

squarefour wrote:

I still chat often with my mate at Orbital engine co and theres still some problems with 2 stroke emissions that mean you probably will never see them in a big car.

One of my hobbies is reading patents (at freepatentsonline dot com mostly) and I see Toyota has truck loads of different patents for 2 strokes, seems they want to cover all bases.

Look up Pattakon's website for some interesting 2 stroke ideas as well. http://www.pattakon.com/