LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another AWD hopeful
PostPosted: November 5, 2010, 5:19 pm 

I have decided to start on a pretty large project. My plan is to take a the locost frame style and stick it under a 36 ford cab and grill assembly with the frame being stretched to the right portions, but run an sr20de/ve/t attached to an R32 GTR transmission and make it AWD using all C5 uprights with rear wheel bearings and run pushrod suspension in the front to clear the axle. I have been able to find everything I need from Ebay for relatively cheap but the part where I am hitting the hiccup is on the differentials. My plan of attack is to sort out the front and then just find a matching ratio for the back but I am looking for front suggestions. The tranny output is on the passenger side so I need to find a front diff that has a pass side snout as well. I am torn between the IFS 4x4 truck carriers that have the carrier arm that sticks out like an S10 or trying to find a car unit that is more pumpkin like. I have heard people discuss torque steer issues when the axles are different lengths and there is no way I can get the front shaft to go to the center within the wheelbase I am working with. So I am leaning towards the truck style since then the axles themselves could be equal length. The other alternative would be running some kind of two piece driver side axle with a bearing support right before it leaves the frame so the cv axles themselves would be the same length. Any thoughts?

I have a gtr pan and diff but the shaft goes through the pan and the diff housing is cast with the pan.

Post subject: Re: Another AWD hopeful
PostPosted: November 6, 2010, 12:58 am 

Ambitious project

In my case I am looking at something similar. The main candidates seem to be the Suzuki Sidekick (though it requires backdating to a Samurai ring and pinion to get 3.73- most are 5.125!) and the Kia older Sportage (4.778). Both are nicely made from aluminum and are for Passsnger side drive. The Sportage is actually a bit heavier duty looking than the Suzuki, but I don't know what the interchange is on ring and pinions. I'm looking for a 3.31 area ratio.

Someone here was talking about a a newer GM 4x4 using a 7.5" aluminum housing, but I don't recall what vehicles it comes in or if its PS drop.

PostPosted: November 6, 2010, 9:02 am 

look up a vehicle called "quadradeuce".... its an all wheel drive '32 ford built by Rad Rides by Troy... it used GMC Syclone drivetrain with an aluminum V8...

PostPosted: November 6, 2010, 10:18 pm 

That car is definately one contributing to my inspiration but back in 95 when Mark Stielow built that car the typhoon and syclone parts were more readily available. The front is really just a normal s10 diff without the passenger side disconnect so it is always on and the transfer case can still be had out of an astro van for under $200. The magic in the work he did was welding on a huge chunk of aluminium to a t56 tailshaft and milling it to accept the transfer case since normally it only bolts up to automatics. Since I wanted a manual I went with the sr/gtr tranny option since mazworx makes the bellhousing adapter and I happened to have a few sr20 blocks laying around, it just leaves me stuck on the front diff issue. Does anyone have any pics of the quadradueces front diff/steering rack set up? I found this one as well http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0905_1932_ford_coupe/index.html and it looked promising but sierra front diffs are probably hard to come by in the US.

PostPosted: November 7, 2010, 11:32 am 

the toyota ifs is pass drop if that helps(r180/200 hitachi), axle shafts are pretty easy to come by with a bit of either work or cash earned with work. .. or any other way for that matter. spindles........... maybe the front spindles from a dana 30 or similiar? mount the a arms to the existing ball joints, both of which point up iirc (i don't much d30/35 stuff, 44/60 ball joints point up), front steer so thats pretty easy. a bit on the heavy side but do-able i should think. i'm sure toyota made an awd sportscar but can't remember the name. nissan has the skyline and they have an ifs 4x4 truck(r180/200 hitachi on the truck, drivers side drop on the truck when i had one, pass drop on the skyline) but i disremember what the spindles look like. dodge dakota is ifs/torsion bar/unequal control arms with a 7.25"(?) diff and cv joints on the outside, still front steer. theres probably a dozen more but those are the only ones i've worked with to any extent.

storage jar must be getting full, all the new info keeps spilling out :BH:

PostPosted: November 9, 2010, 12:29 am 

Look no further than a Toyota Previa AWD driveline, front mid engined would suit a Locost chassis fairly well I would think. 2.4 supercharged engine won't hurt either!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Previa

PostPosted: November 9, 2010, 9:44 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
Look no further than a Toyota Previa AWD driveline, front mid engined would suit a Locost chassis fairly well I would think. 2.4 supercharged engine won't hurt either!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Previa

outside source wrote:
the S/C AWD automatic transmission (A340F) was used in many Toyota 4x4 vehicles. These include 96-04 4Runner with V6 or V8, 92-95 4-cyl Pickup, 92-98 T100 V6, 01-06 Sequoia V8, 95-06 Tacoma (both 4 cyl and V6), and 00-04 Tundra (both V6 and V8).
i can only assume that the manual transmission has a common crossover as well. its a viscous coupling center diff on a previa so no fancy control system needed.

PostPosted: November 9, 2010, 11:50 pm 

I couldn't find any pics of the suspension set ups but it looks like that motor has a weird almost dry sump like oiling system. The motor layout is boxer style though so I bet the packaging would be hard without going very wide with the frame.

PostPosted: November 10, 2010, 4:27 am 

jan2594 wrote:
I couldn't find any pics of the suspension set ups but it looks like that motor has a weird almost dry sump like oiling system. The motor layout is boxer style though so I bet the packaging would be hard without going very wide with the frame.

The Toyota Previa? Thats got a laid over inline 4 improving the CG in your case.

I think thats a AWD box there too but I haven't seen one in the flesh.