LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:08 pm 
Offline
Mid-Engined Maniac

Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 4751
Location: SoCal
botbasher wrote:
...You sure about that?

The entire drivetrain has to be considered, and I'm comparing it to a modern - and therefore FWD - 4-cyl drivetrain. While the Buick/Rover may be 300 lbs by itself, add in an 80lb(?) transmission and 140 lb rear axle assembly. The resulting ~500lb drivetrain is most certainly heavier than say, my 400 hp, 410 lb Honda turbo K24 drivetrain.

_________________
Midlana book: Build this mid-engine Locost!, http://www.midlana.com/
Kimini book: Designing mid-engine cars using FWD drivetrains, http://www.kimini.com/book_info/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:29 am
Posts: 3109
oldejack wrote:
Well. .. not personally viewed numbers but one of my brothers runs the buick/rover engine in several of his vehicles and states ~250hp from his hopped up engine. ..


They were very popular for conversions in Australia and we had the 4.4 liter version in a Leyland sedan and truck.

They are ridiculously light, one guy took an L20 Datsun (Australia's stroked and taller L18) out and bolted a 4.4 in and didn't touch the springs where as another replaced his Datsun 260Z engine with one and had to go get shorter springs as the front then sat too high such was the weight difference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 1:03 pm
Posts: 924
Location: The Humid State of North Carolina
KB58 wrote:
...I'm comparing it to a modern - and therefore FWD - 4-cyl drivetrain....
You sure about that again??

Honda S2000 - FR Layout - 4 cyl
BMW 1 Series - FR Layout - 4 cyl
Mazda Miata - FR Layout - 4 cyl
BMW Z4 - FR Layout - 4 cyl
Morgan +4 - FR Layout - 4 cyl
Ford Mustang - FR Layout - 4-6-8 cyl depending on year
BMW 3 Series - FR Layout - 4-6-8 cyl depending on year
Chevy Corvette (OK, it's a V8 only, but...)
etc... etc...

I thought those were modern 4 cyl drive trains, but..

Cheers!

KS

_________________
Don't ever become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

Add yourself to the Locost Builders Map!

Jigsaws, Hacksaws... There is a better way! Want to get creative with metal? Want a Plasma Cutter but can't justify spending the $? Check out a DIY Plasma Cutter! A true LOCOST way!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:05 am
Posts: 677
Location: San Antonio
botbasher wrote:
KB58 wrote:
...I'm comparing it to a modern - and therefore FWD - 4-cyl drivetrain....
You sure about that again??

Honda S2000 - FR Layout - 4 cyl
BMW 1 Series - FR Layout - 4 cyl
Mazda Miata - FR Layout - 4 cyl
BMW Z4 - FR Layout - 4 cyl
Morgan +4 - FR Layout - 4 cyl
Ford Mustang - FR Layout - 4-6-8 cyl depending on year
BMW 3 Series - FR Layout - 4-6-8 cyl depending on year
Chevy Corvette (OK, it's a V8 only, but...)
etc... etc...

I thought those were modern 4 cyl drive trains, but..

Cheers!

KS


By what definition are those modern, available in the U.S. and 4 cylinders?

And hell, the miata and newest morgan(ford) engines were both designed for FWD primarily.

_________________
JSullivan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:31 pm
Posts: 59
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
as another replaced his Datsun 260Z engine with one and had to go get shorter springs as the front then sat too high such was the weight difference.


That's not saying much, that cast iron 6 is a beast. I replaced mine with a cast iron 327cid Chevy small block V8 and it was still sprung just fine. So I had a 520Z instead of a 260Z Twice the fun :D :D .

But that aside, the Buick 215 is a sweet little engine. The Rover version is more available and makes better power. I'd love to use one.

_________________
Planning a Duratec powered, Miata suspended 442


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
POWERED_BY