LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: January 18, 2012, 9:47 am 

My problem with home-building a DD is: Even if you can get it economically licensed and insured as a DD (which will be a feat in and of itself) once it has become your main transportation, then what happens when you have a 25-50% loss accident. It is not like you would take it to your local collision shop for repair. It may take you up to a year to repair it yourself assuming you can find the time for an unplanned rebuild cycle. It is different from a toy car that can sit for a while in the corner of the garage until the hurt is over and your energy restored for the rebuild process. Besides, think of all the "I should have done's" that can be implemented the 2nd time around. This will take more planning time.

No, for me, a DD should be 1) safe for a family trip to the grocery store and daily commutes 2) maintained and serviced by someone else for those times when it has to be back in use in a day 3) collision damage repairable done by a regular shop.

Sorry about the doom and gloom about accidents. It is just that I have been hit too many times in my DD's by careless and unthinking drivers to keep that part out of the equation.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 18, 2012, 11:11 am 

rx7locost wrote:
My problem with home-building a DD is: Even if you can get it economically licensed and insured as a DD (which will be a feat in and of itself) once it has become your main transportation, then what happens when you have a 25-50% loss accident. It is not like you would take it to your local collision shop for repair. It may take you up to a year to repair it yourself assuming you can find the time for an unplanned rebuild cycle. It is different from a toy car that can sit for a while in the corner of the garage until the hurt is over and your energy restored for the rebuild process. Besides, think of all the "I should have done's" that can be implemented the 2nd time around. This will take more planning time.

No, for me, a DD should be 1) safe for a family trip to the grocery store and daily commutes 2) maintained and serviced by someone else for those times when it has to be back in use in a day 3) collision damage repairable done by a regular shop.

Sorry about the doom and gloom about accidents. It is just that I have been hit too many times in my DD's by careless and unthinking drivers to keep that part out of the equation.

I think insurance is a big deal, and overlooked by many (myself included). And insuring something that is homebuilt AND your only transportation is likely to be difficult and expensive.

And we all have different ideas as to what a DD is all about. I'd agree that it involves the daily commute (typically 1 person to work & back), but not necessarily a family trip anywhere. And service & maintenance are individual choices in my mind, not dependent upon whether it's your DD or not. Collision repair is something that may or may not be in the running for DD consideration.

JustDreamin

PostPosted: January 18, 2012, 1:23 pm 

what you need is a miata with a removable hard top and a golf diesel engine,

easy to repair, warm in winter, cool in summer, and so economical.

of course, anything with a v.w. diesel engine would be economical so that just about says what the power unit must be no matter what it should look like,

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: January 18, 2012, 7:48 pm 
Locostering Legend

I think I'm missing something in this thread.

Hasn't the practical, economical car already been invented? I think they're named Civic, Corolla, Golf/Rabbit (w/o 400+ whp), etc. They're reliable and fuel efficient. They have doors, safety equipment, AC, radios, and heaters.

Remember, this site is dedicated to those who want to strip/chop/disassemble practical cars and convert them into impractical cars. Don't forget this prime directive.

PostPosted: January 19, 2012, 2:46 am 

Quote:
Hasn't the practical, economical car already been invented?

Sure, but there is also the fun and satisfaction of building your own car and having something that's unique. Also, for some people it can be tough to justify spending $5-25k and a few years of weekends building something that's "just a toy" and can only be taken out on nice sunny days.

My dream car right now is the Smart Roadster, except legal to drive in the US and without the reliability problems. I spend a lot of my spare time imagining a two seat, mid-engined sports car that gets 45 mpg, rides through hairpin turns like a slot car, and has MGB simplicity combined with Toyota reliability. The problem is there's not a lot out there that comes anywhere close to my unreasonably demanding list, so I sit around and doodle different body styles and different chassis frames and say "I'll bet I could build this and make it work" or "What if I Kimini-fied a Fiat 850 spyder?"

I don't know what Slappynuts' design parameters are. Maybe he should just go and buy a Civic, but as long he can be honest with himself, somewhat realistic with his goals and plans, and as long as he doesn't get innocent bystanders killed, I say more power to him.

PostPosted: January 19, 2012, 3:09 pm 

we could all have the same hair cut and the same clothes, live in little boxes all painted the same color,

we could all have the same looking wives (although if they looked like jenifer annison that would be o.k.) and 2.4 children plus a dog and cat of course.

the point of this is to have the benifits of a production car but individually designed by the owner and built at home, not in a foregn country.

these production boxes may be slightly different from one another but ask your wife or girl friend to tell you which one is the kia if all the badges were removed is the true test.

what is the carbon footprint for an econobox by the time it gets to the first purchaser, probably about the same as a 1983 ford f350 truck.

i noted with interest yesterday on cnn that the average vehicle on our roads is now 9 years old, this must be helping thier carbon footprint, just like a locost, getting more use for your environmental buck.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: January 19, 2012, 6:45 pm 
Always Moore!

Check out mycaterham.com

This couple proved that their Caterham could be a pretty versatile and practical car - much beyond what people give the Se7en credit for. Its just a matter of fitting doors and a convertible roof and you're set.

See - we are building practical cars. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 20, 2012, 8:08 am 

I guess my interpretation of this thread was more "daily driver" without ever thinking "only car". I don't think it would be anywhere near sane or reasonable to own only a locost based car. Alternatively, I could see owning a locost based car that I could drive 90% of the time. Most of my driving (at least 90%) is just me commuting by myself, running solo errands, driving for pleasure, or transporting the equivalent of a bag of groceries or two. I already have other vehicles that will fit my specific or emergency needs that a locost based DD would not. I don't have to drive my Evo anywhere near as much as I tend to, but I enjoy driving it, so I do. Fuel mileage, maintenance, etc. are not deciding factors in that use. I see a owning locost based DD in the same light.

PostPosted: January 20, 2012, 10:30 am 

Seriously, 4 seater dune buggy style... Just use different suspension, actual brakes and close it in a bit...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 20, 2012, 3:30 pm 

I do think that the concept of "locost" is ideal for commuting. .... Either single seat or double, light simple economical ... Perfect.

PostPosted: January 20, 2012, 3:52 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Fellow Commuters-
I live about 2.5 miles from my office. TWWTFM's office is on the same route, about .5 mile closer to home. I've pondered building a simple frame, very basic enclosed cockpit, pure electric car for getting us to and from work. About 6 months out of the year, more if you're tolerant, you could do it without heat or A/C. Might need heat for defrosting, and if I add cabin heat while I'm at it, you could use it more like 8 months a year.

Hmmmm.... Y'all keep talking... This is getting interesting...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 20, 2012, 7:00 pm 

heat for defrosting ....heh definitely needed here!

PostPosted: January 20, 2012, 10:49 pm 

Found several options for heat/AC. The best ones are for EV's, with such units running ~50 lbs total.

PostPosted: January 21, 2012, 12:56 pm 

Wump wrote:
I spend a lot of my spare time imagining a two seat, mid-engined sports car that gets 45 mpg, rides through hairpin turns like a slot car, and has MGB simplicity combined with Toyota reliability.

errr ....

or without the Toyota reliability ...

PostPosted: January 21, 2012, 10:18 pm 

Yep, nothing like a Fix It Again Tony. X19's are beautiful cars though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next