LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T-tops
PostPosted: September 30, 2012, 3:30 pm 

This is just an idea I'm tossing around in my head at the moment, and I didn't find anything on t tops using the search...

I've looked at the hardtop version of the Donkervoort with its gullwing doors and know it is possible to put doors on a Lotus-style car. I don't, however, like the look of the rear of the hard top Donkervoort.

I was thinking about how possible it would be to do a hardtop, but use T-Tops instead(or even stick with gullwing), and have the rearend be more like a 69 Stingray with the flat back glass. Using dhempy's front bar idea, and using the rollbar with some square tubing placed in the middle going between front and back bars as support for the "T", and shaping aluminum sheet/fiberglass around it and the back to give the Stingray look. I will try to do a sketch if I'm able to to give a better view of my idea.

This is all just theory and speculating at the moment since I'm not even welding the chassis yet. However, I figured you are the guys to pitch the idea to before delving further into the application.

Ideas, hints, pointing out of huge gaping holes in the idea?

Post subject: Re: T-tops
PostPosted: May 16, 2013, 6:17 pm 

I have toyed with the idea of T-tops. Long ago McDonald-Douglas was selling surplus Water-tight long zippers with Neoprene rubber that would have been perfect for a tonneau, but if the fob were inside it would be possible to exit by unsnapping at the front and unzipping the middle overhead. Another approach would be a bar fastened to the roll-bar and windshield frame to which plastic wings could be hinged such that they could also be slipped free by sliding forward in the raised position. The rear portion aft of the roll-bar would be a standard convertible type top weather-sealed by the overlapping gull wing. Not sure how the front could be weather-tight though. I think before I glass the window frame I will have an aluminum channel track tigged to it facing down to secure some sort of fabric top at the front. I want to leave my options open. Maybe the zipper could go forward and then sideways through a curve to close it. Some removable side-curtains might be good there.