LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 3:20 am 

Hey guys, as I'm sure you guessed by the title I'm new to this whole building thing. While my questions are pertaining specifically to me, I am hoping all comments and information here will be helpful to anyone else with the same worries as me.

I am 20 years old, and just started building a Haynes car. I already bought and tore apart a 1990 Miata, so I have my wiring harness and most of my running gear (diff was missing :BH: ). Anyway, I made the first cuts and tack welds before I started really reading this forum. I'm sure this is a stupid thought, but I'm worried my car is going to be too...well...generic. Miata drive trains are common, Haynes Roadsters are common. I have a lot of unique ideas but I don't know how they will work out, so I'm worried my car will be unimpressive.

Has anyone else run into this?

Oh, and by the way, yes I do have experience cutting and welding, and working on pretty much all sections of the car from working in a vintage race car shop for a while.

I've found a ton of information here, and you all seem like nice people, so I'm hoping you can help!

Many thanks,

Eric

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Grey 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 8:10 am 
The voice of reason

Welcome! You're going to do great and don't worry about the car being interesting. They are so unusual I don't see that as a problem. DO a good job and pay attention to details and you will do fine.

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 11:02 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Miata drive trains are common, Haynes Roadsters are common. I have a lot of unique ideas but I don't know how they will work out, so I'm worried my car will be unimpressive.

Hey Young'un!
Ask yourself, next time you're at Sonic or Wal Mart or the grocery store or anywhere except in here, "Hmmm, I wonder how many of those common Lotus 7 clones are parked here?" Anywhere other than a vintage race shop, Lotus 7s are a rare commodity. Hand-built ones even more so. What's that old saying about "hen's teeth"???

In this forum, there are lots and lots of Haynes/Miata builders. But that represents folks literally from all over the planet. I think you're getting an exaggerated view of how rare these cars really are. Like Horizenjob said, if you do a good job, no matter what "recipe" you use, the car will be outstanding, no matter where you park it! And, as a 20-something, you should be made aware that your car will attract young women who will drape themselves over it suggestively. (Don't believe me? Check out Gordon's build log, or Jack McCornack's pictures of "Max"!)

So, get to weldin'! You're a-burnin' daylight! :mrgreen:
:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 12:44 pm 

a miata is a good donor, at least you can get parts when you need them.

20 years old, built a whole car, and it works, cooooool!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 4:38 pm 

On your first build, common is good. One of the biggest hits to motivation is trying something new and different and having it not quite work out. Your motivation should be to get the thing running. Get all the bugs worked out and then figure out what you want to do differently on your next build. That's my opinion, anyway.

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 4:57 pm 

Eric,
I agree with all of the gentlemen above.

Be prepared for ladies telling you your car is beautiful, their fellows being envious & you telling them with pride that you built it all yourself.

Cheers - Gavin.

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 5:58 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

My experience is slightly different. People assume you just built it from a kit, and the more you try to explain, no, the more their eyes glaze over, and they refuse to believe it. Also, unless it's hardcore car people you're talking to, they look at you like:
1. You don't have a life.
2. If you have a wife, they feel sorry for her.
3. Making a car - to them - is like building a refrigerator, why on earth would anyone do that, so there's a bit of "he's nuts" passing through their mind.

It has to be the right audience. I pretty much never talk to people about cars unless they start the conversation. No hard feelings from me, I just understand that 99% of people simply don't have any interest.

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 7:49 pm 

and unless it's RED with a blower sticking through the hood you won't win a prize at a car show.

but when track day comes around, you are KING!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 8:00 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Been there done that, and no trophies. Yup, no chrome V8 = no interest.

PostPosted: November 14, 2012, 12:00 am 

ThunderHeide wrote:
I'm worried my car is going to be too...well...generic. Miata drive trains are common, Haynes Roadsters are common. I have a lot of unique ideas but I don't know how they will work out, so I'm worried my car will be unimpressive.

Nope. No one else has run into this. Next question.

Welcome aboard, Eric, and man, do I wish I could trade worries with you. :)

On this forum, it looks like everybody's got one of these things, but in the real world, you're not going to bump into yourself coming the other way very often. You'll find your car is a conversation starter wherever you go. As far as the common Miata thing goes, they get quite uncommon when you use that powerplant in a 1300 pound car. I intend to make my next one Miata-based, just for the convenience of building (and a power to weight ratio that's better than I'll ever have use for).
KB58 wrote:
It has to be the right audience <snip> I just understand that 99% of people simply don't have any interest.
From my experience stopping at gas stations and convenience stores, I find that 20% of people are interested enough to start a conversation with me. A quarter of them get bored when they find out I don't have 400 horses under the hood, but frankly, I'm not that interested in talking with those guys. So about half the guys go away after The Horsepower Talk, and if those are the people you want to impress you should probably build a Cobra kit, but I'm happy to hear them say "A Miata, huh? Pfft," and happy to see them leave, because otherwise they get in the way of the guys with genuine interest, and the women who want to take pictures of it and/or get a ride in it and/or find out how far I'm planning to drive today.

"I don't know, probably not much farther. I haven't had dinner yet and I don't really like highway driving at night."

Any time somebody asks if they can take a picture, I say, "Sure; can I take a photo of you taking a photo?" and I have literally hundreds of pics of people taking pics of my car and 98% of the photographers are women. I don't have an explanation, but when I've discussed it with them, they tell me they don't take usually pictures of cars but mine just looks like so much fun. And a small number of times over the years, they've told me my car gave them the impression that I must be fun too, which is why we're discussing it over breakfast.

KB58 may be right that 99% of people simply don't have any interest, but 1% is plenty. 1% of the US population is three million people, and that 1% is rich in interesting folks. Oh, and one other thing,
ThunderHeide wrote:
I have a lot of unique ideas...
Me too me too! If I'd put all but one of them aside I would have been on the road two years earlier than I was. For Fast, Fast Results: Pick your favorite unique idea, and otherwise follow a path that others have trod. These cars are so easy to modify that you can add all the unique ideas you want after you're on the road.

PostPosted: November 14, 2012, 12:51 am 

The first time you try to get out of a gas station quickly, you will soon find out how generic it really is.
I worked to attempt to make my car have vintage feel to it and for the most part I seem to have succeeded judging by most peoples first question.
Is that a 'real' Lotus, I reply that it is not and that I scratch built it in my garage out of miscellaneous bits, so far I haven't really had anyone drift off, my response usually brings a lot more questions on how I did it, how difficult was it etc.
So far I haven't had anything but positive responses, from all sorts of interested people, maybe I have been lucky, but I dont doubt that any version of a 7 you build Eric will garner a lot of attention and not be run of the mill.

Al

PostPosted: November 14, 2012, 12:57 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

ThunderHeide wrote:
... I'm worried my car is going to be too...well...generic. Miata drive trains are common, Haynes Roadsters are common. I have a lot of unique ideas but I don't know how they will work out, so I'm worried my car will be unimpressive. Has anyone else run into this?

No.

I had to go back and confirm that Jack got your quote right as I was in disbelief. Ugh, good Lord man, please tell me that you're not using the anticipated reactions of strangers to dictate your design! That's like asking people what color you should paint your car... sheez, just decide what you want and don't worry about others. Like Jack said, you'll hardly ever see another Locost on the road and the same goes for everyone else. To them your car is unique by definition. Ugh, sorry, I just can't understand anyone who tries to guess what strangers will like, then tries convincing himself that's what he should build. No, build what you want. Period.

PostPosted: November 14, 2012, 1:11 am 

ThunderHeide wrote:
Welcome to the group Eric.

I'm sure this is a stupid thought, but I'm worried my car is going to be too...well...generic. Miata drive trains are common, Haynes Roadsters are common.

No matter what donor(s) you use the parts will be common. It's the overall car that will be your creation.

I've never seen a Haynes Roadster on the road. Or even another Locost for that matter. And there at least three Lotus 7 or replicas of the 7 around S. Fla. But my eye Dr. who's into cars described a low car that sounded like a motocycle which turned out to be my car. Apparently he was trying to keep up with me from a stop light. :)

Each Locost is different in one way or another even if they use the same donor cars. So don't worry, these cars share an overall appearance but each one is an expression of what the builder had in mind.

I have a lot of unique ideas but I don't know how they will work out, so I'm worried my car will be unimpressive.

Not me.
I have an idea that most of us aren't that worried about impressing other people though. Building your own car from the ground up is pretty impressive by itself. Especially so when most people don't even know what makes a car run.

Oh, and by the way, yes I do have experience cutting and welding, and working on pretty much all sections of the car from working in a vintage race car shop for a while.

You'll do fine building a Locost. And no matter what you build it from etc it will be impressive to knowlegable people.

I've found a ton of information here, and you all seem like nice people, so I'm hoping you can help!

Many thanks, Eric
Ask away. To paraphrase what Jack said in a post, "I'm sure [we] can answer any of your questions to our satisfaction." :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 14, 2012, 10:25 am 

And another welcome to this strange group of Characters.

As far as seeing another Locost on the road. I have not yet seen one except for when attanding the Midwest Gathering. There you will see plenty and everyone is interested in what you did to your car.

I have been flagged over once on the highway by another who was planning on building a Locost. Also caught someone googling over my car as I was coming out of a restaurant. He was in the process of building a Locost. Beyond that, most have never seen or even heard of a Lotus Seven or Caterham, let alone a Locost. My car stands out a bit due to my licence plate "LOCOST 7". Several people have told me that I spelled "Locust" wrong. I don't think those people will ever "get it".

Don't worry about following anybody else. Yours will be unique even with a miata donor. Look at this list as an example. I don't think that any of our cars look alike or are even the same under the skin.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 15, 2012, 12:04 am 
Always Moore!

The builder formerly known as Chet said it best: "A Locost is like driving a parade float."

You will stand out anywhere you drive the thing (well unless you are next to a semi on the highway...you will wish you stood out more at that point).