LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 12, 2024, 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1999 Kia Sportage AWD
PostPosted: August 4, 2013, 1:16 pm 

So I saw this thread >>http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9235

And I want some more brains thinking on it.

I have an opportunity to buy a running driving kia sportage for a couple hundred bucks. It has the Mazda FE3 engine (FE-DOHC). I am very interested in going turbo, so this engine is very very tempting. I would LOVE to grab 500hp which has been done over and over again on this engine. With stock internals. And I'm even willing to build it up. The body of the car is beat to hell (teen driver first car) So that is why it is so cheap, but I could care less because I don't want the body anyways.

The transmission and AWD setup is what interests me the most. I could certainly swap the tranny out and do away with the front drive and make it all fit in a normal rear wheel drive setup. BUT.... Does anyone here think that by using a pushrod front suspension to clear a front drive, I could jam pack in the goodies for an AWD locost from a kia sportage? It is set up for passenger side drive for the font end, so I can steal a little bit of room from the passenger footwell (who cares if they are comfortable) and I THINK it might be possible.

Does anyone have some good pictures or drawings of the Kia setup? All of this is coming from me climbing around underneath one with a tape measure for a few minutes, I haven't been able to really break it down.

I couldn't find a forum for the "in theory it MIGHT work but it is a longshot" So I am posting it here. Let me know what you think.

AND ALSO: I am totally willing to go with a +4 or +442 chassis if it means making this work. I am not set on the book chassis, and I am a small guy so I could give the extra room to the drivetrain rather than to me.

More info: The current transmission is an automatic. It sucks but it is what it is. The manual version is a direct swap and they are in junkyards so that is an option, but if the car is automatic then whatever. I can fight that monkey later.

Let me know what you all think!!!!!
-Drew

PostPosted: August 4, 2013, 11:24 pm 

Just build it! hahahaha!

Is it independent front and rear suspension?

PostPosted: August 5, 2013, 6:41 am 

krepus wrote:
Just build it! hahahaha!

Is it independent front and rear suspension?

Independent front, and solid rear. The front was originally strut, but looking at the spindles that wouldn't be hard to change.

Come on guys, someone has to know more about the sportage than I do...

Thanks,
-Drew

PostPosted: August 5, 2013, 8:44 am 

It has 4wd. not AWD. traditional transfer case and front and rear diff along with a front and rear driveshaft. gunna make it hard to have the engine clear the front diff and whatnot. i dont think the transfer case can handle that much power either, but im not 100% on that since most just turbo the 2wd versions.

PostPosted: August 5, 2013, 3:07 pm 

The fe-3 was a pretty good engine. I had one of the first here in the US in my old 626. I stroked it to a 2.3l and turbo'd it and made some were around 300hp. Problem was parts were hard to find. The Kia trans is junk so you would have to find a way to mate it will a b2000 trans or better yet an rx7 trans using an adapter. Check mx6.com for more infor about the engine.

Evo

PostPosted: August 5, 2013, 6:14 pm 

jaxmadine wrote:
It has 4wd. not AWD. traditional transfer case and front and rear diff along with a front and rear driveshaft. gunna make it hard to have the engine clear the front diff and whatnot. i dont think the transfer case can handle that much power either, but im not 100% on that since most just turbo the 2wd versions.

Ahhhhh, I suppose I was neglecting to consider the true differences between the systems. I fell in love with a custom AWD hillclimb car, and caught the AWD bug. I was not really thinking about the fact that AWD is a fluctuating output system that changes the power to each wheel.

Would 4WD be any kind of benefit at all in a track environment? Having all wheels driven seems nice, but without the redistribution of torque, would there really be a benefit?

I have read a ton on the FE3 engine, and I have sourced some parts already. I am aware that it is tough to find parts, but not impossible. I am willing to put up with that to build a nice engine.

If 4wd is not a benefit, is the b2000 or rx7 trans the best answer? Any other tranny suggestions?

Is the rest of this car decent for a donor? Would the rear Diff be alright?

Thanks,
-Drew

PostPosted: August 5, 2013, 7:16 pm 

Engine clearance might not be as bad as it would seem, Locost's usually put the crank pulley further back in relationship to the front axle centerline than most late model vehicles. ..

PostPosted: August 6, 2013, 3:03 am 

Not to completely discourage you from using this engine but there are a few things to keep in mind. The Kia engine has a different intake manifold and does not have the Vics system which has secondary butterfly's in the intake that open at high rpm. The crank is cast not forged. The block is not as strong as the Mazda version. Remember this is a copy of the Mazda engine not the real thing. After market sucks so you will have to fabricate everything your self.

Examples: no aftermarket ecus so you'll have to run full standalone if your goin to turbo it. I used the sds efi em4. $1500 I had custom veniola pistons $500 and ran the stroked crank from a turbo f2. You'll need a manifold fabricated and that's just the beginning. 500hp is possible but that is going to cost a lot to get you there. I had close to $5k in my engine. Also finding the transadapters is a bear however some truck trans bolt up. I don't remember which ones as I was fwd.

I just want to give you a heads up that this may not be as locost as you hope. The engine is pretty decent na at 140hp and makes a nice noise.

Evo

PostPosted: August 6, 2013, 6:46 am 

evo626 wrote:
Not to completely discourage you from using this engine but there are a few things to keep in mind. The Kia engine has a different intake manifold and does not have the Vics system which has secondary butterfly's in the intake that open at high rpm. The crank is cast not forged. The block is not as strong as the Mazda version. Remember this is a copy of the Mazda engine not the real thing. After market sucks so you will have to fabricate everything your self.

Examples: no aftermarket ecus so you'll have to run full standalone if your goin to turbo it. I used the sds efi em4. $1500 I had custom veniola pistons $500 and ran the stroked crank from a turbo f2. You'll need a manifold fabricated and that's just the beginning. 500hp is possible but that is going to cost a lot to get you there. I had close to $5k in my engine. Also finding the transadapters is a bear however some truck trans bolt up. I don't remember which ones as I was fwd.

I just want to give you a heads up that this may not be as locost as you hope. The engine is pretty decent na at 140hp and makes a nice noise.

Evo

That's fine. I think I was jumping all over this only because I found a donor so cheap... I am back to my original plan now. I'm cramming an LS engine down its throat.

I already have an LS7 laying around. :)

Thanks for all the help, and I appreciate the honest imput on this engine.

With the LS would you go +4 or +442? I'm only 5'10" and about 160, so I am not overly worried about me fitting, but the engine.......

Thanks,
-Drew

PostPosted: August 12, 2013, 11:28 am 

but with an ls7 youre going to have lots of people that want rides. lol. id go with the 442. then you can get 442 badging for the back! lol
and how the heck do u have an ls7 laying about?

PostPosted: August 12, 2013, 10:47 pm 

I guess that was bad phrasing. I do not personally have an LS7 laying around, but work does. And they approve of the project enough that it was offered. :)

It pays to work in a hot rod shop