LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 22, 2014, 3:36 pm 

Self-hating hot rodders...Just when you think you've seen it all. :mrgreen:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: January 22, 2014, 3:57 pm 

IMHO, John is righter than wrong- there are some local venues here in Dallas, however they are drying
up here. I'll also add that hot rodding when I grew up was divided along the trailer only's and the
driver cars; now the size of the checkbook seems to rule. This is probably a large reason that Rat Rods
are becoming so popular: more home crafters, using hand tools and few dollars to create something.
Even some of the big name builders have taken up this style, like Chip Foose. By the way, Mr. Foose
has said many times, that his cars are built to be drivers. Yes, he's gone all out show stopper for
several commissioned cars; the client pays for the play.
As I lurk here :lurking: absorbing all this discussion, I see my "vision" a little more Americanized than
CC's original; that said, I've gone pretty fast straight and done the left turn thing; the "trifecta" for
me was a Porche 904 belonging to a local VWdealer: it did all the above, did it well, and for an encore
went right equally as well; I was chuffed I tell you, chuffed! So my vision, like so many others, is
different: elements of that hot rod heritage, along with some of Chapman's admonition to add lightness
combine, hopefully into a 4wheel, fully independent suspension, 2-3 litres, 5- speed, under 1500 lbs.
But what I want is a road going car first; if I can take it to track day and not embarrass myself it will
be a fine iced cake indeed.
By the by, thank all of the board members and responders for your input. :lurking: MSW, aka Chris

PostPosted: January 22, 2014, 4:27 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
i must admit that we do have a cruise night once a month, it starts at 5 pm and ends at 10 pm, alas people have been turning up at 2 pm and going home at 6 pm and no one cruises they just park up.

I have 4 different "cruise" (you're correct in that the cruise part is really "cruise there, then cruise to dinner and then home") nights I can go to within 5-10 miles of home, 4 evenings a week from april until october, about. Its a pretty lively scene.

the one show I go to every year is an anuual event put on by the local lions club around the 2nd weekend in september at a sports field about 1 mile from my apartment. entry is free, you only have to pay ($10) if you want your car judged.

as far as trailering, or owning a trailer specifically for transporting the B-3, well, no. If I can't drive it there, I ain't going. y'know?

But showing it off is only one aspect of the fun, mostly, I just want to just drive it around, commute, run errands, take it climbing...I mean, anything that I'd built, that'd be the goal, daily driving. Track only? naaah. did that with race karts, the only time it was really fun was while I was driving it, and the nearest track was 75 miles away so I didn't get to drive it nearly enough. Even when I was autocrossing, the nearest event was a minuimum 45 mile drive, but at least I could drive the Z28 every day ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: January 22, 2014, 5:27 pm 

my nearest cruise night is 65 miles away and 65 miles back home in the pitch black cattle stroon desert, yes 50 miles of the journey home is on open range where cows come to the blacktop because it is warm at night but they don't get out of the way either, if you don't see them you will hit one, it happens at least once a month to someone.
if you miss the cows, you could hit a deer, buffalo, coyote, jack rabbit, rattle snake or what ever, one day i was comming home in daylight and there was a rock in the middle of the road about a foot in diameter, as i passed the rock it stuck its head out and looked at me, it was a tortouse, i stopped and picked it up, putting it off the highway.

you are a lucky man to have local cruises.

but we in it shall be remembered.