LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sky Locost?
PostPosted: April 30, 2014, 11:26 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I know several of you have been looking for a new project and this seems just crazy enough to qualify.

http://www.wimp.com/buggyfly/

I got this from the Gearz Facebook feed.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post subject: Re: Sky Locost?
PostPosted: May 1, 2014, 10:53 am 

It looks like you could get into a lot of trouble with that thing, but I have to admit, I like it. The ground top speed (115 MPH) is unlikely in the deserts, IMHO. I don't think you want to go that fast with the tires, wheels and structure of the vehicle shown in the video - too flimsy, I think.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 1, 2014, 11:13 am 
Toyotaphobe

We'd probably need airbags to raise rear of a Locost high enough to clear the prop when spinning.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 1, 2014, 1:06 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
The ground top speed (115 MPH) is unlikely in the deserts, IMHO.

The air top speed is unlikely in the air, too. 55 mph? Maybe straight down. Typical parachute vehicles max out around 26 knots.

PostPosted: May 5, 2014, 2:07 am 

"When you see it, it looks like something out of a movie, maybe a James Bond film..."

Ya think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwWD9mUyQuE

If you search Yours Truly on imdb.com that's the only entry you'll find for me*, and I'm pointing it out to show that I'm qualified to have an opinion re tech specs on machines of this nature.

"The "Sky Runner" can not only navigate the land at incredibly high speeds..."

Fair enough. I consider 115 mph to be not credible. Ditto the 55 top speed in flight. Ditto the 200 nautical miles flight range. But I have no doubt it functions (I made my first drivable power parachute 30 years ago), I just doubt it functions as well as claimed.

So you gotta wonder, is somebody who's going to spent $119,000 (http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20131223 ... -skyrunner) on a toy of this nature going to make a positive purchasing decision based on bullbleep performance specs? Seriously, wouldn't genuine replicable test results sell more SkyRunners?

*Though there is an entry for Kinetic re special effects for another Bond film--there are lots of Kinetic entries so you'll have to scroll down to Kinetic Aerospace

PostPosted: May 5, 2014, 12:31 pm 

I never cease to be amazed (or disgusted) by how well dishonest marketing works, at least initially. It has to be harder nowadays, though, with the Internet. One would hope.

PostPosted: May 5, 2014, 2:41 pm 

@ jack. damn dude, you made those flying snowmobiles? I remember watchignthat movie when it came out and thinking they must have been two separate vehicles, ones that flew adn just looked like snowmobiles, and the others some sleds with the falsie appendages.

Nick, in the mind of the average commonweal, "Wow!" often trumps, "Too Good to be True".

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: May 7, 2014, 10:13 pm 

robbovius wrote:
@ jack. damn dude, you made those flying snowmobiles?
No, I was engineer on location. Somebody else built them (someone who is unlikely to work in the industry again, and certainly not another Bond film, but he made his wad on the initial sale) but they didn't really work, they were a copy of a copy of a design of mine, they'd basically been through the Xerox machine too many times and nobody (including the "manufacturer") had any technical grasp of how to get (and keep) them flying. They were about to blow off the scene and send 200 cast and crew home, and somebody suggested bringing me over to save the day*. It's a long but entertaining story which I'll tell y'all around a campfire some evening.

There were a total of 17 of those things, 5 that flew, 4 that drove, one that shot off a cliff with a time-delayed reserve 'chute, half a dozen for explosion purposes and some spares.

And yeah, that's how they do it with transformer-type practical props--different machines. When you see a flying snowmobile on the screen, what you're seeing is a flying machine that looks like a snowmobile, which lands in front of the camera, and in the next shot you see a snowmobile that looks like a flying machine, which drives away from the camera. Bond films are full of this stuff; a Lotus drives off the pier, and in the next shot, a submarine that looks like a Lotus sails away.

*Note the refreshing lack of false modesty.

PostPosted: May 12, 2014, 7:55 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
And yeah, that's how they do it with transformer-type practical props--different machines. When you see a flying snowmobile on the screen, what you're seeing is a flying machine that looks like a snowmobile, which lands in front of the camera, and in the next shot you see a snowmobile that looks like a flying machine, which drives away from the camera. Bond films are full of this stuff; a Lotus drives off the pier, and in the next shot, a submarine that looks like a Lotus sails away.

actually, that's kinda what I thought, but I've got you up on this pedastal, see, and I naturally assumed, "of COURSE he built real flying snowmobiles" ;-)

In other associated news, I teach guitar at the Hopkinton Center for the Arts, and when I was there last thursday (having driven the B-3, of course) the center director looked out the window, her eyes got real big, and, to make a long story short, this summer the B-3 will be on stage as the car in their local production of Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.