LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transfer case on a BEC?
PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 2:58 pm 

First, I am brand new to the site and this is my first post so please, be gentle. I am just beginning a BEC Locost to run as my next autocross car. I understand that (on this side of the pond) that is an issue because it puts all the weight on the driver side of the car unless I go with a right hand drive. However, I was thinking of two options: Could I offset the drive shaft to the right, placing the engine in the middle of the frame OR, could I use a transfer case from a small truck or subaru, place the engine on the right and transfer the PTO over to the center with the case? I have looked around a little and have not found anyone that has done this as yet but, someone MUST have, right?! Or, am I making this more difficult than it has to be and should just get used to driving on the "right" side of the car?

-THANKS!-

PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 4:40 pm 

Welcome :cheers:

so your talking about a dedicated track weapon ?!?
in that case you may want to look at the dp (Palatov Motorsport) cars:

http://dpcars.net/

Palatovs are mostly AWD ... but a RWD would be even simpler:
place engine next to driver, run a chain slightly offset to the passenger side down the center,
sealed LSD IRS carrier in the back (with a offset mounted sprocket to move differential into the center) :wink:

PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 4:51 pm 

... or if you dont like a chain drive you could use a offset differential carrier
may check out what i had in mind on this abandoned project;

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15375&start=45

Ford Explorer "Dana super 30" IFS used as IRS ....

aluminum housing, 7.25" ring gear, some LSD`s available :wink:

PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 5:01 pm 

Check out Super7Cars in Chemainus, BC. David Saville-Peck has the rights to LHD Bike powered Caterhams, and has developed a chain drive system to allow an easier LHD installation. Basically he's built a simplified version of what you're after. I had thought about the same style of set-up when I was looking at building myself a front engine single seater with the drive offset to the lh side of the cockpit. I never did anywhere with it as I couldn't get my hands on a small, cheap transfer case (plus I had more than enough projects).

Rod

PostPosted: November 27, 2014, 10:53 pm 

Rooster: That does look fantastic! However, I already have about 50% of a McSorley 442 done so I think I will continue on this path, for now.

Rod, Thanks. I will give Super7Cars a look but, I LOVE the offset diff idea! I admit, I had looked at this (briefly) but the thought was to use an offset REAR from certain Subies. I NEVER thought of a Exploder front! I live in the intermountain west where EVERYBODY has at least 3 4x4s in the driveway. That will make it much easier to source! Rod, why did you abandon that idea? And, what do you think one of those is worth? I know of one here for 175 but, that seems a little high to me.

Thanks again for the idea, that's GREAT!

PostPosted: November 28, 2014, 11:33 am 

i abandoned the offset diff idea mainly for its restricted wheel travel (short halfshaft length)
but keep in mind that i`m talking wheel travel for duning & mild offroad ...
the possible travel will be more then plenty for a street oriented project :wink:

i would look for a 2002+ Explorer IFS... this will be the lighter Dana super30
it seems to be hard to find LSD`s for the pre 2002 Dana 35 and most common R&P ratios are usually shorter then the D30

however, the D30 is wider by a couple inches , what is maybe a problem if you already have the frame

the D30 is not a reverse rotation design, so using it as a IRS should not cause any problems.

PostPosted: November 28, 2014, 6:58 pm 

Quote:
Rod, why did you abandon that idea? And, what do you think one of those is worth? I know of one here for 175 but, that seems a little high to me.

A number of reasons: a single seater is very impractical, there's really nowhere to run one here in Vancouver, if it was a pure autocross car then going front engine is probably not the best set up (on offset engine like a Mallock should/would work), not enough space to store one (car not transfer case), not enough space to have another project, etc.

If I had found a small transfer case for less than $100 I might have pursued it further, but no luck at least so far.

Rod

PostPosted: January 9, 2015, 8:39 pm 

fresno67 wrote:
First, I am brand new to the site and this is my first post so please, be gentle. I am just beginning a BEC Locost to run as my next autocross car. I understand that (on this side of the pond) that is an issue because it puts all the weight on the driver side of the car unless I go with a right hand drive. However, I was thinking of two options: Could I offset the drive shaft to the right, placing the engine in the middle of the frame OR, could I use a transfer case from a small truck or subaru, place the engine on the right and transfer the PTO over to the center with the case? I have looked around a little and have not found anyone that has done this as yet but, someone MUST have, right?! Or, am I making this more difficult than it has to be and should just get used to driving on the "right" side of the car?

-THANKS!-

Use some scales of some sort(bath?) and balance the motor in the car and mount it the way it balances out the closest. The shaft should be set to right side of the car I think. Run the longest driveshaft possible to were it meets the center of the driveshaft tunnel(dead center of car). Put in a carrier bearing and go straight back to the punkin. Im in midst of doing the same. Lemme know what youthink!

Pooky