LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 12:44 am 
Toyotaphobe

This isn't an "In Theory it could work" cause lots of rodders do it.

This is just curiosity on my part as I have no plans at all.

I've seen several rods recently using many different models of windshields and roofs to finish out their cars, but after looking at several cars I'm not sure where the cut the donor vehicle and more importantly how do they fasten it in so that it's structural?

Here are some pics of vehicles I have around the house that I was looking at tonight.

There doesn't seem to be an easy or obvious way to cut out just the windshield portion on the front end and once you did there doesn't seem to be a good & easy way to reattach it.

But if you went forward a little you could almost get a scuttle and easy windshield wiper set up.

The clearest picture I've seen was someone using a Karmann Ghia and it was cut just below the windshield a just sitting on a frame and I couldn't see how you could attach that in a manner that wouldn't leave it banging around.

So how do they do it?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 9:47 am 

The splice job project I saw a while back at Cars and Coffee had the full firewall, A pillar and windshield from a C-3 convertible grafted onto a widened 32 Highboy tub.
He had fabbed mounting tabs and welded them to the front corners of the Vette birdcage to bolt the steel members to the frame. Lots, and lots of glass work to blend the sub structure to the 32 tub. It was aglass body from Corbin in Valdosta, GA, so no real Deuces were harmed in building his hot rod

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 10:38 am 

I got this link from TooBusy's build log.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s

It isn't about roofs and windshield but the fabrication method could be used to do that. Nik has completely changed how I'm looking at building my frame.

PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 10:47 am 
Toyotaphobe

I can't honestly say I've actually seen a graft job in person, unless you count the government, but I guess using the whole firewall would give you meat enough to attach it to a proper space frame underneath.

The ones I've seen pictures of haven't appeared to use the whole firewall and the Karmann pic I saw it was cut off just below the windshield.

Thanks for the video Run87k I didn't watch it in TooBusy's build, but I am watching it now.

Maybe I'll look at some of the rods at our local C & C which is coming up in 10 days, presuming we don't freeze and all go into cold sleep for 150 years. They say we'll have another 1-4" of snow tonight. I've never seen this much snow in my life except for when I lived in Ohio.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 11:34 am 

When we used to chop tops or section bodies, we tacked in a bunch (an I mean a lot) of electrical conduit to the interior to hold everything rigid while we whacked away.

PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 11:54 am 

Take a look at a Mg or Triumph. It you cut off the cowl cover there are several simple boxed section pieces making up the sub structure. The A pillars are the key component for attaching the windshield and doors. There are nuts in pockets inside the A pillar used to bolt on the windshield. Slotted holes allow for some adjustment. The windshield mounting posts pass through holes in the cowl cover.

Grafting on a more modern cowl / firewall / windshield would entail making attachment points for the A pillars to the frame.

One thing I've noticed, the earlier the car, the simpler the design.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: March 4, 2015, 10:48 pm 

it's not just hot rods kit cars also do the same .
we did a Porsche 911 speedster last year . we cut the windshield frame down and then had a glass guy come in and cut the glass .
he cuts the glass and then to remove the piece he cut he took lighter fluid and poured it down the cut line and lit it on fire .
it burns thru the laminate between the glass .
the glass becomes structural when it's bonded to the windshield frame using products like
3m windo-weld urethane .
using other cars donor windshields is very common for builds . they have DOT approved glass .
vw thing windshields are dirt cheap flat and wide so they can be cut down ez to fit other cars .
as for curved windshields there are so many to pick from .
you don't need to use the frame from the donor you can build your own or even buy one that they would use for a hot rod .

PostPosted: March 5, 2015, 12:44 am 
Toyotaphobe

I just thought it looked cool to get the roof and windshield and a little of the donor car look. Just enough to make someone looking at it almost think it was a production vehicle that's been modified.

Of course it could be neat to have the side effect of getting a working wiper system that's hidden away.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: March 5, 2015, 1:30 am 
Toyotaphobe

Run87k wrote:
I got this link from TooBusy's build log.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s

It isn't about roofs and windshield but the fabrication method could be used to do that. Nik has completely changed how I'm looking at building my frame.

You are right, he's awesome!

But I've only just discovered he hasn't posted all the videos yet. I just can't wait for #9

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: March 5, 2015, 2:30 am 

I always just figured this was just one of those things that, much like building a Locost, there are nearly as many ways to do it as times it has been done. Some may be more structural and/or permanent than others, but it's more about the level of execution than it is a 'right' or 'wrong' method.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 5, 2015, 11:51 am 

Driven5 wrote:
I always just figured this was just one of those things that, much like building a Locost, there are nearly as many ways to do it as times it has been done. Some may be more structural and/or permanent than others, but it's more about the level of execution than it is a 'right' or 'wrong' method.

no way to say it better !

PostPosted: March 5, 2015, 10:10 pm 

I am using a mgb scuttle on mine, at least the top portion welded to 16 gauge sides curved and angled to match the sides of the chassis. --I am trying to make the windsheild semi deer proof (at least slow down the impact and hopefully deflect one over our heads)the sides are 1x3 cut at an angle and notched to allow the glass to be bonded flush to the sides of supports. The side supports should mate through the sides of the scuttle to supports welded to the frame. No glass in it yet but its on its way. I looked at using the mgb winshield pillars but the curve of a locost scuttle did not allow them to be used.
Dale

PostPosted: March 8, 2015, 1:34 am 

This is a real quick crop, cut and paste but I think that the possibility looks very interesting. The lengths of the two cars are appropriate and the width is too....there's a 500 nearby that I'll go measure tomorrow. The Fiat 500 lid on a Locost would provide a good windshield, side and rear windows, wipers, plus they have a classic fold-back fabric top for open air motoring. It would be waterproof and buffet-proof and room for a roll bar to go inside too. Food for thought?

Attachment:
L+F=D.png

By the way, that's a Fiat Abarth 850 (based on the Fiat 600 chassis) in my avatar, it's a much bigger car than a Fiat 500 so ignore it when thinking about scale in the above drawing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 8, 2015, 11:40 am 

When the weather warms up the Canucks start to think again.

PostPosted: March 8, 2015, 11:56 am 

BHRmotorsport, if those are both at the same scale, it looks like it might work. Kind of cool! You doing it? You know you should.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766